Farmer looking to ride with kids

Jany

Hi All,

Please give me some advice with what brands or bikes I should consider.

I am looking to buy a mountain bike. I live on a farm and have mostly flat gravel roads. I am a female, 165cm. My main aim is to enjoy riding with my kids, maybe in time do some fun races with them. 

I am looking to buy second hand but don't want to spend a lot but also want something that will last. I hope to buy right first time that will last 10+ years. 

Is a budget around R4000 gonna cut it?

Then.. should I get a small or medium frame. Thinking hardtail. 

Hi, first, welcome to The Hub! Here you'll make great friends and learn a lot!

I'm from the farm as well, and prefer to do most of my riding with my mtb too. 

Brands that will work: Silverback, Titan...the local brands are really bang for buck. You'll get decent components without breaking the bank.

Look in the classifieds for a decent 29er, don't be afraid to post ads and ask. Also important is comfort! Then you'll enjoy it and ride often.

And take pictures, stop and smell the flowers. Enjoy it to the fullest

Welcome to the Hub.

@Jany Mathews lot of value in what @Scary Rider posted.

NEW - Avoid the Makro type bikes.  The likes of TITAN RACING offers very good value for money, though a bit higher than the budget you mentioned.

Pretty sure @Titan Racing Bikes can advise on options like these -

https://bike-addict.co.za/products/titan-rogue-alpine-2022?_pos=9&_sid=1487ff6e5&_ss=r

They can even advise on dealers in your area.

SECOND HAND - When you know what to look for, you should be able to get better value for money buying second hand.  As noted above, if you see an add, post it here and the technical gurus will assist.  

The likes of @RobertWhitehead have good reputations on the Hub for building good quality second hand bikes.

As for the bike size - It seems you are on the cusp of Small and Medium.  Sizing differs between brands !!!  You may well feel more comfortable on a M in one brand and on a S on another brand.

Thanks for the advise. I'm looking forward to starting this journey!

I unfortunately need to buy online and courier as we are quite remote and bicycle shopping with small children is not my kind of fun. 

Most of the ads I've seen are 26inch tyres. Is there a reason why I should rather be considering 29inch? 

Also when looking at comfortability are we talking about the seat? Assuming frame size is right.

18 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Snip

Thank you very much for the shout out @ChrisF. I read this and one thing struck me:  I hope to buy right first time that will last 10+ years.

This was confirmed in the second post: 

I unfortunately need to buy online and courier as we are quite remote

Based on these comments I would not eco what @Scary Ridersaid. @HubMob get your pitch forks ready as this boy is going to be different :oops:

Your ideal bike:

26er with an oil fork, cable disc brakes or even v-brakes as well as tubed tires. Because you're remote you don't want to take the bike for a tinkering every week. You want something with as little maintenance as possible which you can just get on and ride. Yes the latest and greatest will be nicer to have and ride but it's going to become old very quickly if you constantly need help to get it on the roads. 

46 minutes ago, RobertWhitehead said:

Thank you very much for the shout out @ChrisF. I read this and one thing struck me:  I hope to buy right first time that will last 10+ years.

Based on these comments I would not eco what @Scary Ridersaid. @HubMob get your pitch forks ready as this boy is going to be different :oops:

Your ideal bike:

26er with an oil fork, cable disc brakes or even v-brakes as well as tubed tires. Because you're remote you don't want to take the bike for a tinkering every week. You want something with as little maintenance as possible which you can just get on and ride. Yes the latest and greatest will be nicer to have and ride but it's going to become old very quickly if you constantly need help to get it on the roads. 

Pretty sure they can figure out tubeless quick enough .....  depending on the area this may or may not be a major benefit.

As you know, I have two off 26" bikes at home.  1x11 for simplicity, reliability and affordability.

2 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Pretty sure they can figure out tubeless quick enough .....  depending on the area this may or may not be a major benefit.

As you know, I have two off 26" bikes at home.  1x11 for simplicity, reliability and affordability.

Tubeless tires will make up close to 50% of her budget if she buys new or replacements 😁

1 hour ago, RobertWhitehead said:

Your ideal bike:

I second this . Sound advice. I have about 20 township kids on bicycles mostly 26 “ bikes , v brakes and tubes filled with sealant . With your budget you should be able to buy a decent example and have it couriered.

And if you still want new, despite the previous posts ....

Have a look on Bike Addict.  Some serious specials on 2022 stock they need to move ....

There's a medium silverback stride for sale. Posted last night 26" for R4k.

Might be what you're looking for...

21 hours ago, Jany said:

Hi All,

Please give me some advice with what brands or bikes I should consider.

I am looking to buy a mountain bike. I live on a farm and have mostly flat gravel roads. I am a female, 165cm. My main aim is to enjoy riding with my kids, maybe in time do some fun races with them. 

I am looking to buy second hand but don't want to spend a lot but also want something that will last. I hope to buy right first time that will last 10+ years. 

Is a budget around R4000 gonna cut it?

Then.. should I get a small or medium frame. Thinking hardtail. 

the scenario in farmer specific language is that your R4k budget is going to get you a Tata bakkie with 280km on the clock and rust spots developing on the bodywork. It will do the job, maybe, but might not last that long. Also you're going to have issues keeping it going, parts are going to be hard to source and any dealer warranty/support fell away while Riaan Cruywagen was still reading the news.

In an ideal world you'd spend R30k on a new land cruiser with shiny skaap tralies fitted. This will last so long that those kids riding with you will inherit it with the farm when it's time for them to take over the daily running. 

You could find a 2nd hand Hilux for anything from R6k for an older model or R20k for a recent one with low mileage. 

now that's a nice story, but how does it help you? Well it depends. You're in the gammadoelas, so no matter what you go for it would be a good idea to learn the skills of basic bike maintenance and care. Setting brakes and gear shifters is not hard once you get it right, and I'm assuming a farmer is used to making a plan with stuff that is not right. A further issue is that the farm workshop is unfortunately going to need some new proprietry tools to do these job - a worthwhile investment even if they seem overpriced at the time.

next step. find a bike you like the look of and post it here - the peanut gallery here will help. The unfortunate reality is that a bike for R4k that is going to last 10 years is hard to find, you might need to lower your expectations.  To answer the initial query i'd definitely go hardtail and the actual brand is not that important.

Thank you everyone for your guidance.

I'm quite serious about this bike. I like that it has been serviced and that everything should be in good working order. 

Also it's from a well reviewed second hand dealer since I'm buying without actually seeing it.

Will appreciate your input:

Giant Liv Bliss 27.5 (650B)

27.5 inch

Medium frame

21 Speed

Aluxx Aluminium

Liv Alloy rims

Giant tyres *Like New*

Shimano 7 x 3 rapid fire shifters

Shimano Tourney front derailleur

Shimano crank

Shimano Tourney rear derailleur

Shimano 7 Speed cassette (MegaRange)

SR Suntour shock

Tektro disc brakes

Quick release wheels

Quick release saddle height adjustment

Water bottle holder

*Serviced*

*Excellent condition*

Price: R4950

13 minutes ago, Jany said:

Thank you everyone for your guidance.

I'm quite serious about this bike. I like that it has been serviced and that everything should be in good working order. 

Also it's from a well reviewed second hand dealer since I'm buying without actually seeing it.

Will appreciate your input:

Giant Liv Bliss 27.5 (650B)

27.5 inch

Medium frame

21 Speed

Aluxx Aluminium

Liv Alloy rims

Giant tyres *Like New*

Shimano 7 x 3 rapid fire shifters

Shimano Tourney front derailleur

Shimano crank

Shimano Tourney rear derailleur

Shimano 7 Speed cassette (MegaRange)

SR Suntour shock

Tektro disc brakes

Quick release wheels

Quick release saddle height adjustment

Water bottle holder

*Serviced*

*Excellent condition*

Price: R4950

I am a Giant fanboy, so I might not be totally objective  :)

These specs may be considered "old school" ... but it is tried and tested durable components, and very affordable to replace.Depending on the bike's condition, this may be the bike for you

3 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

I am a Giant fanboy, so I might not be totally objective  :)

These specs may be considered "old school" ... but it is tried and tested durable components, and very affordable to replace.Depending on the bike's condition, this may be the bike for you

I have no problem with it being "old school". Sounds like just what I need! Thanks for your input