Farmer looking to ride with kids

Jany

So I have this theory about things like this, especially for a self sufficient Boer.

Whatever you buy you will make it work.

As with anything, buy the best that you can afford and also bear in mind you will likely make practical changes AS YOU PROGRESS through your bike journey.

You won't get it 100% correct straight away, but as you learn how the bike works and figure out exactly what you need through lots of time in the saddle, you will figure out what will benefit you best and make changes accordingly.

Start, don't overthink it and enjoy the time with the kids.

This might work

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/hardtail-mountain-bikes/646998/giant-talon-4-small

Edited by Jewbacca

3 hours ago, Jany said:

Thank you everyone for your guidance.

I'm quite serious about this bike. I like that it has been serviced and that everything should be in good working order. 

Also it's from a well reviewed second hand dealer since I'm buying without actually seeing it.

Will appreciate your input:

Giant Liv Bliss 27.5 (650B)

27.5 inch

Medium frame

21 Speed

Aluxx Aluminium

Liv Alloy rims

Giant tyres *Like New*

Shimano 7 x 3 rapid fire shifters

Shimano Tourney front derailleur

Shimano crank

Shimano Tourney rear derailleur

Shimano 7 Speed cassette (MegaRange)

SR Suntour shock

Tektro disc brakes

Quick release wheels

Quick release saddle height adjustment

Water bottle holder

*Serviced*

*Excellent condition*

Price: R4950

Go for it 

4 hours ago, Jany said:

I'm quite serious about this bike. I like that it has been serviced and that everything should be in good working order. 

Also it's from a well reviewed second hand dealer since I'm buying without actually seeing it.

The bike is a good make, the 27.5 wheels are very acceptable. It's pretty much an entry level bike but it should give you good service.

As long as the present owner is truthful about the recent servicing then this bike should serve you well. It's a pity you can't go see it or test ride it but sometimes in life we just have to take a chance... Check if there is some wiggle room on price coz you'll have to get it couriered to your place and that will cost a bit.  Take the plunge and I hope it works out for you ..

5 hours ago, Jany said:

27.5 inch

Medium frame

21 Speed

Aluxx Aluminium

Liv Alloy rims

Giant tyres *Like New*

Shimano 7 x 3 rapid fire shifters

Shimano Tourney front derailleur

Shimano crank

Shimano Tourney rear derailleur

Shimano 7 Speed cassette (MegaRange)

SR Suntour shock

Tektro disc brakes

Quick release wheels

Quick release saddle height adjustment

Water bottle holder

*Serviced*

*Excellent condition*

Price: R4950

Maybe someone on the Hub can go and check it out for you before you buy?

Just an update..

I have decided to go for the Liv. Thanks for the encouragement, being so remote I have gotten used to buying stuff without seeing it but with you guys backing me I felt confident to take the plunge.

Happy riding 😁🚴

3 hours ago, Jany said:

Just an update..

I have decided to go for the Liv. Thanks for the encouragement, being so remote I have gotten used to buying stuff without seeing it but with you guys backing me I felt confident to take the plunge.

Happy riding 😁🚴

I’m only catching this now and if you’ve made your decision and gone with it, lekker, happy riding. 

If the deal is not yet finalised I would see what RobertWhitehead can do for you. I’ve bought 4 bikes from him.

The equivalent of my Giant from him, if bought new, would probably be 50k minimum, and I didn’t pay 25% of that. I frequently see the same specs (exactly) on another bike I bought from him, on ads on the Hub and Marketplace, at 3x the price paid to Robert. He just did a huge upgrade on my daughter’s bike (took her from a 1x8 drivetrain to a 1x10 SRAM GX, plus Rockshox SID fork) and honestly I wouldn’t have gotten a new saddle and tyres for the money I spent with him, and the bikes are all rock solid. He’s a good guy and does great work.