[Event] Tour de PPA

Pedal Power Association

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, mikkelz said:

Was it wet out there or what caused the crash(es)? 

It only got wet in the last 10k

Crashes (at least the ones I saw) were people drifting off line, crossing wheels, etc

38 minutes ago, MongooseMan said:

I did have a chuckle when Alex Miller (who was clearly caught up in the A group crash) came past C group and took about 8 people with him for about 10k (during which he did all the work on the front), then dropped them all solo and C caught the “breakaway” just before the silos.
I honestly thought we’d never see them again, but luckily (for me) Alex burned them all even when they were in his draft 😂

Is this the Namibian dude? Jislaaik that ou was kaaak strong. 

WRT crashes. I dunno why people are so reluctant to use their brakes. They’d rather swerve across the bunch than just to tether the brakes a bit and slow down. Drives me crazy. 

Another hilarious thing. In the start bunch the announcer saying anyone crossing the white line gets an automatic dq. Not even 500m after the start, people already riding in oncoming traffic 🤦🏻‍♂️

2 minutes ago, Bub Marley said:

Is this the Namibian dude? Jislaaik that ou was kaaak strong. 

WRT crashes. I dunno why people are so reluctant to use their brakes. They’d rather swerve across the bunch than just to tether the brakes a bit and slow down. Drives me crazy. 

Another hilarious thing. In the start bunch the announcer saying anyone crossing the white line gets an automatic dq. Not even 500m after the start, people already riding in oncoming traffic 🤦🏻‍♂️

Yeah, he’s also Matt Beers mtb partner, gives you an idea of his strength.

With regards to the white line, that’s always a bit loose through the “crit circuit” to start, though it did get a bit sketch at that one stop street left handed where a bakkie appeared coming the other way 🙈

1 hour ago, Mamil said:

Seems there were lots of crashes in C. Had to chase back on after a crash caused a split after the turn off from the r44 then was sure I was going down in the crash at the back of C but by some miracle held it up... How I don't know because I felt that I was on the point of no return and somehow the bike straightened up under me... I'd claim it as superior bike handling but after the initial evasive swerve and hop, phase three of the process had nothing to do with me.

Three of us counted our lucky stars and time trialed the last 30. Very disappointed because a 2.50 was definitely on the cards. Drawing significant consolation from the fact that I am not sitting in A and E waiting for xrays and that my bike is in one piece.

The thrill is real and feeling all the training pay off because I can hold the wheel under pressure is really great but is it worth the risk? 

Were you the 3gents we ( 4 of us from 80km A bunch) caught on Adderley ? You riding the black Spez ? 

Just now, Just Jacques said:

Were you the 3gents we ( 4 of us from 80km A bunch) caught on Adderley ? You riding the black Spez ? 

Ja that rings a bell. No I was on the grey trek. Blue bibs, white and blue shirt

“It is not the critic who counts, not the one who points out how the strong man stumbled or how the doer of deeds might have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred with sweat and dust and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spends himself in a worthy cause; who, if he wins, knows the triumph of high achievement; and who, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.”
- Theodore Roosevelt

IMG_5888.jpeg

Edited by 'Dale

30 minutes ago, MongooseMan said:

With regards to the white line, that’s always a bit loose through the “crit circuit” to start, though it did get a bit sketch at that one stop street left handed where a bakkie appeared coming the other way 🙈

Yeah I get it. Just found it funny that it happened so soon after he said. 

I think for the most part people were well behaved. There was that section after the silos where we had a few hell drivers with no patience where some guys should’ve come over sooner but other than that the bunch was good. 

suppose it also helps that the entrants were much less than the 99er where is was just chaos. 

The adjusted winning time for seeding purposes is going to be *very* interesting,

First "A" grouper by time was 33rd overall.

B "won" in 2h39, much slower than previous years.

We shall see...

49 minutes ago, MongooseMan said:

The adjusted winning time for seeding purposes is going to be *very* interesting,

First "A" grouper by time was 33rd overall.

B "won" in 2h39, much slower than previous years.

We shall see...

I gathered that B had to stop twice, to allow A to overtake them after the crashes. 

I rode back in the sweeper with a guy involved in A's first crash, probably around the airfield. He said a marshall on a motorbike stopped in the middle of the road, and they clattered into him at 60kph. 

Edited by Vaultboy

1 hour ago, MongooseMan said:

I did have a chuckle when Alex Miller (who was clearly caught up in the A group crash) came past C group and took about 8 people with him for about 10k (during which he did all the work on the front), then dropped them all solo and C caught the “breakaway” just before the silos.
I honestly thought we’d never see them again, but luckily (for me) Alex burned them all even when they were in his draft 😂

That oke pulled 5 of us D's to the C group. That was rather handy for us 😉

Sounds like fun at the front.

I was doing a solo ride today, got properly drenched in the rain at Klapmuts.  Hid away at Potbelly until the weather cleared.

At Klipheuwel my route overlapped with the PPA back markers.  This must have been about 10:30.

Saw weekenders walk up the hills ... others suffering while struggling to maintain 5km/h ....

The wind of along Adderley blew away all smiles ....  after Occultdale more people were pushing their bikes ...

Wonder how many missed the cut off.

A sport of extremes.  Front groups and back markers having vastly different experiences.

6 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Saw weekenders walk up the hills ... others suffering while struggling to maintain 5km/h ....

A sport of extremes.  Front groups and back markers having vastly different experiences.

I would rather have been walking up hills instead of blowing out a tyre after 11km and sitting on the sweeper bus, tbh. Spent more time in the starting chute than I did on the road.

Extremes, indeed. 

2 minutes ago, Vaultboy said:

I would rather have been walking up hills instead of blowing out a tyre after 11km and sitting on the sweeper bus, tbh. Spent more time in the starting chute than I did on the road.

Extremes, indeed. 

That sucks !

1 hour ago, Vaultboy said:

I gathered that B had to stop twice, to allow A to overtake them after the crashes. 

I rode back in the sweeper with a guy involved in A's first crash, probably around the airfield. He said a marshall on a motorbike stopped in the middle of the road, and they clattered into him at 60kph. 

those stops in B properly killed my legs...they werent good to start off with, but breaking the momentum like that sucked the energy out of me. Well done to the chaps in B who gave it klappers from the start to end. gave me a proper hiding today.