Rear Shock

JJDT

Hi All

I'm looking for a replacement shock similar to this one. This is apparently a Suntour Shock and the service kits for these shocks are not available in SA or they are like hen's teeth. The shock seems to be losing air and asked the LBS for a full service, when collecting the bike I was informed that all seals etc. was just cleaned as they could not source a seal kit anywhere. I want to source either Rockshox or Fox, for the future I want a shock that parts are easily available.

Quick searches on CWC, Evo Bikes and Bike Addict did not yield favorable results due to the shock mounting(See attachment). Any ideas where I can find a suitable replacement?

20231207_135414.jpg

19 minutes ago, JJDT said:

Hi All

I'm looking for a replacement shock similar to this one. This is apparently a Suntour Shock and the service kits for these shocks are not available in SA or they are like hen's teeth. The shock seems to be losing air and asked the LBS for a full service, when collecting the bike I was informed that all seals etc. was just cleaned as they could not source a seal kit anywhere. I want to source either Rockshox or Fox, for the future I want a shock that parts are easily available.

Quick searches on CWC, Evo Bikes and Bike Addict did not yield favorable results due to the shock mounting(See attachment). Any ideas where I can find a suitable replacement?

20231207_135414.jpg

Please post the brand 

From the little txt i see I'm guessing merida 

Definitely a trunnion mount to start but length and stroke are equally import 

3 hours ago, BaGearA said:

Please post the brand 

From the little txt i see I'm guessing merida 

Definitely a trunnion mount to start but length and stroke are equally import 

Your guess is correct it is a Merida, my wife's e-bike. It is a Suntour Edge LOR8. From my measurement on the shock it seems that the size is 210x55mm according to Suntour. My measurements is total length 223mm and top width 55mm.

Just now, JJDT said:

Your guess is correct it is a Merida, my wife's e-bike. It is a Suntour Edge LOR8. From my measurement on the shock it seems that the size is 210x55mm according to Suntour. My measurements is total length 223mm and top width 55mm.

Measure the centre of the top bolt to the centre of the bottom bolt.

210 sounds correct if i think about how you're likely measuring it 

The measurement from the top bolt to the rear bolt is 210, then the size is confirmed as 210x55mm. My previous measurement was the total length of the shock, which explains the 13mm difference.

Try your local Giant dealer. The Giant distributor (Dragons Sports) distributes Suntour locally and should be able to help with a service kit. 

13 hours ago, JJDT said:

The measurement from the top bolt to the rear bolt is 210, then the size is confirmed as 210x55mm. My previous measurement was the total length of the shock, which explains the 13mm difference.

Not a 210 x 55, that's a standard eyelet size. That's a trunnion mount, which means it's either a 205 x 65 or a 190 x 55.

You can find service kits for those online - bike24 or similar. If you do manage to find one I can do the service for you, but I'd recommend rather replacing with a Fox for ease of service, availablility of spares etc going forward.

Dragons just sell Suntour, their support is close to nonexistent.

As mentioned, forget about Dragons for support on Suntour, hopefully with some of the new team on board, this will be turned around. 
Also ask your LBS to chat with the local agents for Merida, Cytek. Derek and co are generally super helpful if something is brought to their attention. 

Best would be is to buy a fox or rock shox in similar length you will have to measure or bring it in and I can do the measurements for you and will be able to assist you to get a replacement 

It is  most probably only the quad rubbet seal in the aircan that is leakingv air.  Remove the aircan rubber  seal,if it is a quad seal or O ring take the seal to you local Bearing man dealer,  they suppply all the sizes.  Will cost you a few Rand to repair the shox, it is very easy. Lots of youtube video’s. Install with  Buzzy’s Slick Honey suspension grease or you can also use some Red rubber grease from Midas. 

You can order the kit from https://www.tradeinn.com/bikeinn/en/sr-suntour-gaskets-oil-kit-for-shock-rs19-edge-lo-r-rl-r-rc/139754103/p?utm_source=google_products&utm_medium=merchant&id_producte=19379920&country=uk&gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8Jj039qAgwMVfZSDBx3YvQwFEAQYCiABEgJ1GvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds.

They stock most service kits. I  now live in the UK and ordered kits for my DT Swiss shox, Fox and Rockshok forks from them. Problem is the courier cost to SA. But in can be less than a new shox and order 2, or more kits.

Unless he gets a full kit that shock will fail eventually as the glide rings will wear out and cause damage to the damper body and aircan itself if that has not already happened causing air loss

With all the basic service kits I  bought, you only get the aircan seals. That is the thin O ring that seal the top, the quad seal and  the seal that press in at the bottom of the aircan. For any major service it have to be send to the professionals. Problem af air leak mostly the lack of a regular basic service and a lack of lubricant on the sides of the aircan that cause the quad seal lips to wear and cause the leak. The bottom seal is only available from the manufactured  with the service kit, but is just occasional the problem of the leak. The  quad seal and the thin O ring if needed you can get from Bearingman. They are cheap and if a kit is not available by replacing the quad seal it can solve the leak till a kit can be sourced. In the youtube video the guy point out the parts you have to inspect to see if  the shock need a major service.