Du Toitskloof Pass Close Call

Niel1

Sorry to hear about your ordeal, Neil.

As there are mostly caring and helpful people in the South African village, there are also a relatively small number of sociopaths out there, harming or threatening those that cross their paths. The root cause of such attitudes and behaviour is complicated.

Hope you can return to the joy and adventurous spirit of cycling very very soon. 

Glad you are all okay.💙

Edited by 'Dale

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, 'Dale said:

As there are mostly caring and helpful people in the South African village, there are also a relatively small number of sociopaths out there, harming or threatening those that cross their paths. The root cause of such attitudes and behaviour is complicated.

Hope you can return to the joy and adventurous spirit of cycling very very soon. 

Glad you are all okay.💙

Will be back on the bike tomorrow. Got green blocks to tick on Training Peaks. 😂😂

Thanks @'Dale, appreciate!

Please don’t let this go, I think you might find if you take this up with the police there will be other charges or a history of this behaviour. This guys needs to be stopped, or at least pause a bit before doing something rash for fear of the consequences.  Before he does actually kill someone. 

3 hours ago, 'Dale said:

Glad you are all okay.💙

Approx 4 percent of the American population meets the criteria for anti social.personality disorder. Possibly more in our country for those complex reasons you mention.

Only about 1 in 4 are women so that means that if you grab 100 random males off the street maybe 6 of them will meet the criteria. 

Here are the criteria for antisocial personality. You need 3 to qualify.

• repeatedly breaking the law
  • repeatedly being deceitful
  • being impulsive or incapable of planning ahead
  • being irritable and aggressive
  • having a reckless disregard for their safety or the safety of others
  • being consistently irresponsible
  • lack of remorse

Put that behind the wheel of a hummer and ......

Worth remembering though that 6 out if every 100 okes you bump will have at least 3 of those in their personality profile.

Sorry to hear of your experience and close call. It's not cool.

It's also the reason I ride with a rear facing camera - I have been hit from behind before. Driver said I swerved in front of them but had no evidence to prove otherwise.

9 hours ago, Murrob said:

Please don’t let this go, I think you might find if you take this up with the police there will be other charges or a history of this behaviour. This guys needs to be stopped, or at least pause a bit before doing something rash for fear of the consequences.  Before he does actually kill someone. 

I was going to say the same . Even if nothing comes of it he must know that cyclists stand up for their rights . Should he be involved in a further incident there will be a paper trail showing that the next incident is not an “ accident “

go to SAPS and tell them you don't have enough evidence to lay a charge but you have all the perps details. suggest to them to accompany you to visit the perp , they will more than likely love to get out of the office and make the visit with you.  

13 hours ago, Mamil said:

Approx 4 percent of the American population meets the criteria for anti social.personality disorder. Possibly more in our country for those complex reasons you mention.

Only about 1 in 4 are women so that means that if you grab 100 random males off the street maybe 6 of them will meet the criteria. 

Here are the criteria for antisocial personality. You need 3 to qualify.

• repeatedly breaking the law
  • repeatedly being deceitful
  • being impulsive or incapable of planning ahead
  • being irritable and aggressive
  • having a reckless disregard for their safety or the safety of others
  • being consistently irresponsible
  • lack of remorse

Put that behind the wheel of a hummer and ......

Worth remembering though that 6 out if every 100 okes you bump will have at least 3 of those in their personality profile.

Then majority of road users suffer from having anti social personality!

57 minutes ago, The itch said:

go to SAPS and tell them you don't have enough evidence to lay a charge but you have all the perps details. suggest to them to accompany you to visit the perp , they will more than likely love to get out of the office and make the visit with you.  

I think a charge( i say under correction) of reckless endangerment could be issued.

I never ride without my 9mm. (Flamesuit on and gumguard in)

The Mrs & I went on a night ride on a Boland farm (gravel) road. A car came racing past us covering us in dust and stones. I natuarally show my discontent as he raced past us. He braked hard, turn around coming back toward us. We stopped & I produced my 9mm. When his lights lit us up, he braked and turned around and sped off. 

I had 2 previous close shaves and decided that I will never ride without it again.

6 hours ago, The itch said:

That's a great idea

On 12/25/2023 at 11:21 AM, Eddy Gordo said:

I think a charge( i say under correction) of reckless endangerment could be issued.

agree but SAPS knows what will stick and what won't. the constable must 'sell it' to the detective who must sell it to the prosecutor based on evidence. my son and friend were involved 1 Sunday morning with a motorist. they had his reg nr , i called their bluff and said, if they feel so stongly about the abuse and near miss at the traffic lights, lets go the SAPS. 1 hour later they were loaded into the van and i followed in my car to the address that linked the reg nr to the address. 'he said, you said' is what followed but at least it gave the driver and his wife a lekker big skrik on a Sunday morning and the youngsters were able to get their point of view across without it escalating into a brawl.

On 12/24/2023 at 12:23 PM, Niel1 said:

This morning we went out for a ride up and over Du Toitskloof pass. On our way back coming down the pass (direction Paarl) a navy blue Hummer (GP registration plates) came flying past us and almost took us out - super super close call. (Around 09:50)

The guy then cut the next corner almost taking out 2 riders coming up the pass. 

He then pulled off on the right side of the road and picked up a rock and as we came down he started running across the road to be in our lane. 

Luckily we had some time and made a u-turn to avoid any confrontation. Luckily he then left - went down a road where he pulled off. Picture uploaded where he went in. 

Screenshot_20231224_121810_Maps.jpg

On 12/24/2023 at 5:47 PM, Niel1 said:

Update... 

The driver of the Hummer is renting from the owner of the water tanks up on du Toitskloof. 

The owner of those water tanks just got back to me and said that unfortunately he couldn't find anything on the camera footage. 

I call total BS... backing a buddy here.

So in short... be very careful, and on tbe lookout for a black hummer with CJ registration plates, when riding up du toitskloof pass. 

Stay safe on the roads guys and girls!! 

Both colour and reg changed from your first description. Shows how hard it can be to get proper details in a situation like this.