[Event] Lions Karoo to Coast MTB

Zandile Meneses

I was in that part of the world a week ago on the family farm. It was cold. The days were generally not too bad, but the mornings and evenings were frigid. Looking at this weather it seems like the pattern persists. It also rained intermittently the entire week I was there. The farm is about 40km west of Uniondale beneath the Kammanassie mountains, so the climate is pretty similar to what it is on the route.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, HdB said:

Early days, but the wind direction looks like "fun"

EpicRideWeatherForecast-1726488262724.png.472abfe908df02e972ca725e633792f9.png

That wind is easy peasy if you are used to cycling in Bellville in the south easter

I wonder how many riders will be in each starting group.
2022 had almost 2200 people split into groups A - G, ranging from just less than 300 to nearly 400 riders each.
This year there are 5 start groups (plus tandems), so either bigger groups or less riders?

Who else is starting 7h30? Looks like it is going to be about 7 degrees when we start, and at best 13 when most of A has finished 🥶

Can someone post a pic of the timing board we need please? Misplaced mine and need to show the missus what Im looking for. Suspect the odds of her finding it is MUCH better at this stage 😁

So, I'm fat and unfit . Decided to go it on my ebike . Never done a 100km on ebike before . Spez turbo Levo . Will it make the distance ? 

29 minutes ago, HdB said:

I wonder how many riders will be in each starting group.
2022 had almost 2200 people split into groups A - G, ranging from just less than 300 to nearly 400 riders each.
This year there are 5 start groups (plus tandems), so either bigger groups or less riders?

Who else is starting 7h30? Looks like it is going to be about 7 degrees when we start, and at best 13 when most of A has finished 🥶

I'm also in A  - assuming group size would be somewhere between 300-350, unless A has less riders and D gets 500

My biggest kop krap at this stage is determining what to wear on race day...

Thermal long bib or bib shorts
Thermal undervest with cycling jersey or arm warmers with foldable wind jacket.

If I or it starts getting hot, I'd like to be able to take off some layers and have a place to put them

Would like to know what others are planning on wearing on race day with current temps expected.

7 minutes ago, Chingy182 said:

I'm also in A  - assuming group size would be somewhere between 300-350, unless A has less riders and D gets 500

My biggest kop krap at this stage is determining what to wear on race day...

Thermal long bib or bib shorts
Thermal undervest with cycling jersey or arm warmers with foldable wind jacket.

If I or it starts getting hot, I'd like to be able to take off some layers and have a place to put them

Would like to know what others are planning on wearing on race day with current temps expected.

I wouldnt go thermal bibs. Think that’s overkill. Rather dress warmer wrt jerseys. If the temp is is below 12 for most of the day, a thermal jersey should be fine. Anything over 15 and you will start to boil. 

So either thermal jersey and you’re stuck with it. Or maybe put on more base layers with a gilet that can be foldable if it warms up.

2 minutes ago, Chingy182 said:

I reckon I am going to do normal bib shorts with knee warmers, undershirt + short-sleeved shirt + Ciovita Contego long-sleeved jacket. And all the socks.

Same as Transbaviaans, I will use my hydration pack minus bladder as a just-in case, with wind jacket and such. Then if the Contego gets too warm I can switch to the lighter wind jacket, or add the wind jacket if I'm turning blue despite the Contego.

13 minutes ago, HdB said:

I reckon I am going to do normal bib shorts with knee warmers, undershirt + short-sleeved shirt + Ciovita Contego long-sleeved jacket. And all the socks.

1 pair or 2 pairs of socks? 🤣

I am also more inclined to go with the bib shorts option, no leg or knee warmers unfortunately.

Will probably look at my long sleeve thermal undervest and a toss up between my foldable wind jacket or Ciovita jersey

14 minutes ago, Chingy182 said:

1 pair or 2 pairs of socks? 🤣

image.png.2d9ff2b8207f7e43aca96e9524562e70.png

:(

At least two, one being Versus merino. Alternatively 1 pair, thick merino hiking socks. And probably toe covers or similar. My feet do not like winter at all.

Edit: Mind you, what the h*** is going on with the weather?! Snow in mid-September?!

Edited by HdB

27 minutes ago, HdB said:

image.png.2d9ff2b8207f7e43aca96e9524562e70.png

:(

At least two, one being Versus merino. Alternatively 1 pair, thick merino hiking socks. And probably toe covers or similar. My feet do not like winter at all.

Edit: Mind you, what the h*** is going on with the weather?! Snow in mid-September?!

Mid-September snow/frosty temps are preferable compared to 2019 torrential rains and 2023 cancellation with half the Cape roads washed away 

Hi all, apart from the cold weather does anyone know the condition of the pass and is it gravel bike friendly?

Thanks

3 hours ago, Anticlimb said:

So, I'm fat and unfit . Decided to go it on my ebike . Never done a 100km on ebike before . Spez turbo Levo . Will it make the distance ? 

You should make it - but stick in eco (low assist mode) to conserve the battery else it will run dry too quick

3 hours ago, Anticlimb said:

You should check if your battery will last +-5hours in any mode.

IF you have a spare battery:

All spare E Bike Batteries will need to be dropped off at the designated table at registration by no later than 06:15 on Sunday morning (no drop off of batteries after this time)
– Spare batteries will go to the Buffelsnek Squirt E Bike Gazebo, which is at the 59km mark.
– Spare full batteries will need to be clearly marked with rider name (We will provide you with a sticker at the drop off point)
– Batteries on the bikes that the rider starts with must also be clearly marked with rider name.
– Only after the last E Biker passes the pick up point will the flat batteries be transported from Buffelsnek to the finish line.
– The batteries will go to the Tog Bag pick up area close to the Safari Braai Products Tent at the finish venue – Waterfront Drive – Knysna High School Field. There will be security guard at this point who will require your sticker with your name on it to collect / release your battery.
– Do not forget your E Bike Battery key.
 The event is NOT responsible for the loss or damage to batteries.