Affordable dual suspension bike for sale

Brendan S

23 hours ago, Brendan S said:

So, I went to look for a new bike at different places. I found nothing until I found a Silverback Stride for only R8999. Without any concerns I bought it. First few weeks go by after a lot of riding, and I see my chain, brake rotors, rims, spokes and derailleur are rusting. I issued a complaint to Solomons cycles and they told me that they couldn’t take responsibility for the bike. Being the only Silverback stride in the store for that price I knew they were lying, and now I’m struggling with a disaster of a bike

I am jumping in on this stage having not read the whole thread yet. But DAMN rusting... That will happen in one week if exposed to the elements and not lubing and maintaining the bike. If I was my bike and don't lube it it shows rust within a few days.

I think the issue is more ignorance than anything else. Not being scammed. 
All bikes no matter where you buy them have the same components. The shop is not the issue the owner is.

Also if you are going dual suspension and these are your issues be afraid, be very afraid as you are going to have way more issues and way more costly issues.

To anyone selling the OP a bike please ensure you include a bike maintenance course and get the OP to sign a waiver or you are going to be in deep dodo. 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

30 minutes ago, Brendan S said:

I hear you, but I have had an aggro hardtail before my current cheaper bike that was R13000. And I want to get into some middle tier used dual sus for better grip on the trails. I ride XC and dirt jump

Which aggro hardtail did you have? Just curious😁

8 minutes ago, WT said:

Which aggro hardtail did you have? Just curious😁

I had a Giant talon(on special) normally around R18000

4 minutes ago, Brendan S said:

Very cool

Not really my idea of an aggro hardtail though but a good bike none the less😅

By aggro hardtail I meant something like a Nukeproof scout or Commencal Meta HT. Loads of travel (140+ mm) on the front and very slack HA.

If you do XC though that is probably the stuff of nightmares🤣

All the best in your search! Hope you find that cushy XC racehorse soon!

10 minutes ago, Brendan S said:

I might be mistaken here, but my understanding is that an 'aggressive hardtail' refers to a bike equipped with more than 120mm of front suspension and a head angle of less than 66 degrees, similar to models like the Santa Cruz Chameleon or the Trek Roscoe.

The Giant Talon, in contrast, seems to align more closely with the XC. @WT  correct me if my interpretation is off the mark?

1 hour ago, WT said:

More gnar = more travel = more better right?😝😝

For many years I bluffed myself into believing my Spez Camber 120mm full suss was as capable as any larger bike on most trails around Cape Town, and I'd happily blast down the gnarly trails behind bigger bikes, convincing myself I'm in no need of more travel and more agro geometry. 

Then I bought my Stumpy EVO Alloy with 160mm up front and 150mm at the rear, and I was cured of my self inflicted stupidity after the first ride. Needless to say, I don't ride the Camber anywhere else but on my morning training rides before work.

And everything I ride on the Stumpy is better. It's like seeing in colour versus being colour blind. 

So yes. More gnar = more travel = more better.

😎😉💪🏻

21 hours ago, Eugene said:

If it's a dual suspension that you want, then go ahead and get one. You don't have to justify your choice. 

It is your choice and how you maintain your bike is between you and your bike. 

I am not sure where you are from, but here is an option for you. https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/dual-suspension-bikes/698102/silverback-slider2-275-large#fullscreen

Despite your experience, they are good bikes. 

You are the first to actually agree with me, thanks! Also thanks ffor the link

51 minutes ago, Dappere said:

I might be mistaken here, but my understanding is that an 'aggressive hardtail' refers to a bike equipped with more than 120mm of front suspension and a head angle of less than 66 degrees, similar to models like the Santa Cruz Chameleon or the Trek Roscoe.

The Giant Talon, in contrast, seems to align more closely with the XC. @WT  correct me if my interpretation is off the mark?

I don't think there really is a specific travel or HA number that defines an aggressive hardtail. It is more of a purpose driven idea (to me at least). My mind just generally goes to the figure of 140mm as a guideline😅

To me an aggressive hardtail is a hardtail built for the same trails a trail or enduro category bike would be.

So basically exactly the examples you gave😅 i.e. Trek Roscoe and SC Chameleon (which is one of the most coolset looking bikes I have ever seen😁).

Talon looks like a purpose built XC bike (well at least according to the Giant website).

1 hour ago, Dicky DQ said:

I am jumping in on this stage having not read the whole thread yet. But DAMN rusting... That will happen in one week if exposed to the elements and not lubing and maintaining the bike. If I was my bike and don't lube it it shows rust within a few days.

All bikes no matter where you buy them have the same components. The shop is not the issue the owner is.

Also if you are going dual suspension and these are your issues be afraid, be very afraid as you are going to have way more issues and way more costly issues.

To anyone selling the OP a bike please ensure you include a bike maintenance course and get the OP to sign a waiver or you are going to be in deep dodo. 

Oh no! You are totally wrong assuming I don’t clean and lube my bike. I always ensure my bike is in prestige condition. I never had problems with rust on any other of my bikes. I obly agree with you on the maintenance guide, but only for inexperienced riders. Just cause im young doesnt mean im a bad rider

1 minute ago, Brendan S said:

Oh no! You are totally wrong assuming I don’t clean and lube my bike. I always ensure my bike is in prestige condition. I never had problems with rust on any other of my bikes. I obly agree with you on the maintenance guide, but only for inexperienced riders. Just cause im young doesnt mean im a bad rider

There may just be another explantion for the rust.

Random question: How close do you stay to the coast?

Depending on your answer I may venture an hypothesis🤔

6 minutes ago, WT said:

There may just be another explantion for the rust.

Random question: How close do you stay to the coast?

Depending on your answer I may venture an hypothesis🤔

Pretoria, so not near the coast

2 hours ago, Dicky DQ said:

Is it necessary to be so aggressive in your comments? 

This is supposed to be a community of like minded people who help each other out, not attack someone at every opportunity. 

19 minutes ago, Brendan S said:

Pretoria, so not near the coast

Okay, here is a guess as to why things are rusting.

Consider that your older bike (Giant Talon) was quite a bit more pricey than your current Silverback (actually around double the cost ona quick google search). I would venture the components on the Giant were quite a bit better than those on your current bike.

Seeing as your Silverback is an alu frame (quick google again) that would make for quite a bit of the purchase price. So the only way to keep the bike cheap is to use cheap components. 

How do you make cheap components? You use cheap materials that are not very corrosion resistant.

This could mean that small things like putting your bike in the garage straight after washing (i.e. bike still wet) could cause rust.

This is all just a theory though😁 

34 minutes ago, Brendan S said:

You are the first to actually agree with me, thanks! Also thanks ffor the link

You asked a question on buying a full suspension and some people used it as an opportunity to attack you. 

It just blows my mind. 

Good luck with your search