What the Bell?

Fisan

10 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

There are SO many helmet brands with a million options available in SA. Stock rotation and profitability is certain to whittle down some of the numbers at some point, much like the #enduro bike brands all dwindling in the local market.

😜

Mmm, not sure I agree with you here. Perhaps I just haven't found the motherlode. Definitely not a huge selection in the south, or southern suburbs. 

Big difference between brands being represented and actually finding a helmet in stock that fits well & is available in the size and colour (white or silver) you want. 

Maybe I'm too particular, but I do like wearing a helmet that feels right.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, NC_lurker said:

Mmm, not sure I agree with you here. Perhaps I just haven't found the motherlode. Definitely not a huge selection in the south, or southern suburbs. 

Big difference between brands being represented and actually finding a helmet in stock that fits well & is available in the size and colour (white or silver) you want. 

The two shops with the largest selection on their shelves are Bike Addict and Cycle Lab.

As they carry so many brands, the model range of each brand is limited.

I did find a Giro at Bike Addict a few months back - MTB, with a low peak.

14 minutes ago, NC_lurker said:

Wait.... So you disagree that there are/have been lots of options available which has had an impact on stock rotation and sales in a diluted market so players are bringing in less selection......... but then say you can't find the exact unicorn you're looking for because not here but previously here?

I'm confused

5 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

Wait.... So you disagree that there are/have been lots of options available which has had an impact on stock rotation and sales in a diluted market so players are bringing in less selection......... but then say you can't find the exact unicorn you're looking for because not here but previously here?

I'm confused

Don't be confused, it's simpler than you think.

Your opinion: lot's of brands with lots of options

My opinion: not really that many options that I've been able to find. 

At no point in my reply to you did I reference looking for a specific brand/model. I'm merely stating my opinion that although it might appear that there's a large choice, once you get looking it actually isn't that diverse. Suggesting that looking for a white helmet within a certain budget that fits well is a unicorn is just being obtuse...

6 minutes ago, NC_lurker said:

Don't be confused, it's simpler than you think.

Your opinion: lot's of brands with lots of options

My opinion: not really that many options that I've been able to find. 

At no point in my reply to you did I reference looking for a specific brand/model. I'm merely stating my opinion that although it might appear that there's a large choice, once you get looking it actually isn't that diverse. Suggesting that looking for a white helmet within a certain budget that fits well is a unicorn is just being obtuse...

No... read the whole sentence you quoted. Then read it again in context to the thread.

I think you have completely misinterpreted my point. 

You are pointedly saying almost exactly what I'm saying while trying to disagree with me. That is why I am confused

I'm off to bed. Never mind 🤣

2 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

No... read the whole sentence you quoted. Then read it again in context to the thread.

I think you have completely misinterpreted my point. 

You are pointedly saying almost exactly what I'm saying while trying to disagree with me. That is why I am confused

I'm off to bed. Never mind 🤣

Off to bed before 9.30pm!? I thought ultra endurance athletes never slept!

Sure, I agree with the reasoning as to why it's difficult to find stock. But suggesting that there are/were/have been millions of options isn't what I've experienced. I'd love to just walk into the Spez shop, grab the white Align MIPS helmet and walk out (I've heard a certain shop in town let's you get stuff for free) but it just doesn't fit my (possibly) uniquely shaped head..

15 hours ago, Fisan said:

I did for 5 seconds.

But I come from a place where everyone, including their dog, owns a Spez.

I will never.

I used to have this opinion.... Then I tried on a spez helmet (the prevail II vent), and literally nothing compared to it in terms of comfort, weight, ventilation and safety rating. My previous helmet was a scott centric plus which I thought was amazing too, but the spez was leagues ahead of it from the first time I put it on my head. It's really one of those items that if it broke today, I'd buy the same thing again in a heartbeat.

Maybe I'm getting just getting older, but I genuinely couldn't care if every rider I see had the exact same bike and kit as me. I just want to enjoy myself out on my bike, and so my only consideration is what's the lekkerdest for me regardless of what anyone else (or their dog) rides or owns. 

8 hours ago, Mountain Bru said:

I used to have this opinion.... Then I tried on a spez helmet (the prevail II vent), and literally nothing compared to it in terms of comfort, weight, ventilation and safety rating. My previous helmet was a scott centric plus which I thought was amazing too, but the spez was leagues ahead of it from the first time I put it on my head. It's really one of those items that if it broke today, I'd buy the same thing again in a heartbeat.

Maybe I'm getting just getting older, but I genuinely couldn't care if every rider I see had the exact same bike and kit as me. I just want to enjoy myself out on my bike, and so my only consideration is what's the lekkerdest for me regardless of what anyone else (or their dog) rides or owns. 

Yup, never quite got to buying a Spez bike but have bought shoes, gloves and saddle, finding them very good. Coming up for shoes, gloves and helmet, even saddle, it has been repaired a few times.

On 1/30/2024 at 9:48 AM, ChrisF said:

Hiehie ....

I KNOW how you feel.

I had spent weeks looking at all the other brands.  Driving the big shop in Malmesbury, etc.  Trying on all kinds of helmets.

Ended up walking across the road from our office for a Spez lid .... :ph34r:

All because of reading Le Hub .... :P

Well...Spez for my brainbox. Quess it depends a lot on the way one feels about the brand...

But, of all I've tried (quite a few), Spez fits my unique little head best. 

I am very happy with my Bontrager Circuit helmet. Have had both Mips & Wavecell versions and for the type of riding I do the attachable lights work a treat, especially on the longer 24hr + events.

Cheaper helmets have also come a long way, looking at what Titan offers and now Apex offer at under 1k. It’s difficult to sell on a boutique brand in a competitive market, there are higher end model options from the likes of Specialized, POC, Kask, Abus, Scott, Bontrager etc .. 

In fact Specialized does a bloody good option with the Align just under 1k, slightly above with MIPS

On 1/30/2024 at 8:48 AM, ChrisF said:

I KNOW how you feel.

Ended up walking across the road from our office for a Spez lid .... :ph34r:

On 1/30/2024 at 9:10 AM, Jewbacca said:

It's so weird how anti brand some people are. Most Spez Helmets have little to no branding on, are incredibly safe (see here https://www.helmet.beam.vt.edu/bicycle-helmet-ratings.html ) for the price points and their range is extensive.

I guess maybe I'm an exception to the rule, but I couldn't care what brand shoes, underwear, helmet etc I use, as long as they do the job they were designed to do well and fit me with zero issue.

On 1/30/2024 at 10:37 PM, Mountain Bru said:

On 1/31/2024 at 7:36 AM, mazambaan said:

Yup, never quite got to buying a Spez bike but have bought shoes, gloves and saddle, finding them very good. Coming up for shoes, gloves and helmet, even saddle, it has been repaired a few times.

After all of these comments I went to a Spez shop - one that's supposedly revolutionary. I was this 🤏 close to buying a spez lid, but

• they didn't have the helmet that I was looking for in a plain colourway (in my size though)
  • they told me a the colourway on the website doesn't exist.
  • they were more expensive than the listed price on the web

The search goes on...

My biggest issue with the importers is not so much the stock limitation itself, but the fact that they only have limited options available and then claim exclusive import rights into SA. I know it's not unique to SA's cycling market, but still...

9 hours ago, Fisan said:

My biggest issue with the importers is not so much the stock limitation itself, but the fact that they only have limited options available and then claim exclusive import rights into SA. I know it's not unique to SA's cycling market, but still...

Will you fund the MOQ's to bring in other lines? All boils down to consumers wanting variety at the best price. Importers aren't going to bring in product unless they are going to make money, otherwise, what would be the point? 

Edited by BikeisLife

If money isn’t an object, check out the Giro Aeries, it is a work of art. Tried one on today. Spherical MIPS too. 

There are cheaper Giro helmets than the Aeries if that doesn’t fit in to your budget. They also come with a crash replacement policy.