What the Bell?

Fisan

What happened to Bell helmets? I'm in the market for a new lid - and Bell always intrigued me - but I can't seem to find amything Bell (online). Did Omnico stop importing them?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, Fisan said:

What happened to Bell helmets? I'm in the market for a new lid - and Bell always intrigued me - but I can't seem to find amything Bell (online). Did Omnico stop importing them?

We can provide you with some.

Kindest

2 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Cycle Lab has Bell helmets

Thanks, but their range is very limited. Found some other sites too - also very limited range. Nothing mid to top tier available.

Omnico used to import a wide range of Bell & Giro. Unfortunately for some reason they decided to no longer bring in the higher end Bell range (road).

Bell used to be my go to choice so I'm very bleak. Also in the market for a new helmet and struggling to find similar fitting options in other brands - plus stock appears to be an issue severely limiting choice. 

10 hours ago, Fisan said:

Thanks, but their range is very limited. Found some other sites too - also very limited range. Nothing mid to top tier available.

I've had a few Bell helmets. Whilst not being considered "top tier", I've never had issues with them. Comfy and the pads last.

15 minutes ago, Fisan said:

I did for 5 seconds.

But I come from a place where everyone, including their dog, owns a Spez.

I will never.

You should do what suits you, Other opinions don't save your noggin!  

They do some good saddles and used to do nice grips 

10 hours ago, NC_lurker said:

Omnico used to import a wide range of Bell & Giro. Unfortunately for some reason they decided to no longer bring in the higher end Bell range (road).

Bell used to be my go to choice so I'm very bleak. Also in the market for a new helmet and struggling to find similar fitting options in other brands - plus stock appears to be an issue severely limiting choice. 

Yes, the local range of Giro helmets is also quite limited.

Maybe the higher end stuff got very expensive and Omnico may struggle to move stock.
Just guessing though.

1 hour ago, Fisan said:

I did for 5 seconds.

I will never.

Hiehie ....

I KNOW how you feel.

I had spent weeks looking at all the other brands.  Driving the big shop in Malmesbury, etc.  Trying on all kinds of helmets.

Ended up walking across the road from our office for a Spez lid .... :ph34r:

All because of reading Le Hub .... :P

13 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Hiehie ....

I KNOW how you feel.

I had spent weeks looking at all the other brands.  Driving the big shop in Malmesbury, etc.  Trying on all kinds of helmets.

Ended up walking across the road from our office for a Spez lid .... :ph34r:

All because of reading Le Hub .... :P

Are the decals removable? Asking for a friend... 

It's so weird how anti brand some people are. Most Spez Helmets have little to no branding on, are incredibly safe (see here https://www.helmet.beam.vt.edu/bicycle-helmet-ratings.html ) for the price points and their range is extensive.

I guess maybe I'm an exception to the rule, but I couldn't care what brand shoes, underwear, helmet etc I use, as long as they do the job they were designed to do well and fit me with zero issue.

Look at the safety data, see what weight vs price point you're happy to negotiate and buy one.

There are SO many helmet brands with a million options available in SA. Stock rotation and profitability is certain to whittle down some of the numbers at some point, much like the #enduro bike brands all dwindling in the local market.

Have a gander at some of the safety test results in the link and see what IS available locally. It's a pleasure 😜

2 hours ago, Fisan said:

I did for 5 seconds.

I will never.

Honestly, I know the feeling, but I am on my 3rd Spez helmet in a row(never own a spez bike) but the helmets just work with my head and are light and safe and don't look totally dorky.

Added benefit for AR is that you can wear a normal headlamp over the helmet without cable ties etc.

11 hours ago, splat said:

Yes, the local range of Giro helmets is also quite limited.

Maybe the higher end stuff got very expensive and Omnico may struggle to move stock.
Just guessing though.

Was looking at a specific Giro model, transpires it comes in a MIPS version but not available in SA. Definitely seems like we're getting a small segment of what's on offer internationally.