I have a titan racing rouge sport 2023 and i love how it rides but i feel like it needs to be more maneuverable at the back. Im new to mountain biking, so if the pros and cons can be shared, if you have done it before or if it is even possible please let me know.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Jp_perros said:

I have a titan racing rouge sport 2023 and i love how it rides but i feel like it needs to be more maneuverable at the back. Im new to mountain biking, so if the pros and cons can be shared, if you have done it before or if it is even possible please let me know.

What handlebars do you have on, rise or straight with some sweep ? 

Is "mullet" in this context referring to wheel size? mix of 29" and 27.5" fitted on one bike.

Gary Fisher's / Trek 69er concept died more that 10 years ago.

(or is the smaller wheel at the front 🙃)

Appears "mullet" on the other hand, refers to gear ratio in the gravel world.

Always wonder how cycling media decides on these weird names ... 

11 hours ago, Jp_perros said:

"Maneuverable at the back"? I'm confused. If I want to increase the maneuverability of my bike I get up out of the saddle :oops:

You Can if It's Disk Brake. Why NOT ?

Won't do Anything. 

Put a Wider Tyre on and it's almost a 29er.

Just now, dasilvarsa said:

You Can if It's Disk Brake. Why NOT ?

Won't do Anything. 

Put a Wider Tyre on and it's almost a 29er.

'Almost a 29er' .... my old timer brain says then why bother?

Having said that as a 'tinkerer' myself if you have access to the stuff to try it out then why not ....

Put a 27.5 on the back and to raise the BB back up, stick a longer fork on the front.
Head angle will be much slacker, but coming from XC numbers, should be lekker!

Really keen to hear how this turns out.

As you say you are new to MTB, you would be better spending money on a skills course, learn the basics and good skills then you will be able to do a lot with the bike, let alone just the back!!

11 hours ago, Mongoose! said:

Is "mullet" in this context referring to wheel size? mix of 29" and 27.5" fitted on one bike.

Gary Fisher's / Trek 69er concept died more that 10 years ago.

(or is the smaller wheel at the front 🙃)

Appears "mullet" on the other hand, refers to gear ratio in the gravel world.

Always wonder how cycling media decides on these weird names ... 

MTB with smaller wheel at the back. Groadies are a strange bunch, none of their terms are Canon.

Mullet = business at the front, party at the back. Smaller wheel = more fun (lower inertia & angular momentum) & bigger wheel = better rollover.

The Trek / GF 69er was from the days when designers needed to overcome their lack of understanding wrt niner geometry and smaller people, but the practice is still pretty common in Enduro / DH circles.

@OP you can mullet it without an issue. It's just a wheel.

Only thing you'd need to retain is the same cassette (for chain length and gearing compatibility) Hub width, axle size and disc size.

You'll be dropping the BB by about 20mm or so, but that's not a train smash unless you're already grazing rocks with your cranks & chainring. It'll also reduce the inertia on the rear, as long as you're not going heavier with the back wheel. That will make the rear more "lively" by virtue of it being easier to change direction, but not by much. Another by-product of that is that you'll be able to lift the front more easily as it'll have slackened out the HA by dropping the rear axle relative to the front axle.

FWIW I'd concentrate on the skills before you decide to pay them bills. Maybe even a better bar (slight riser) or a shorter stem. Flat bars belong in the gym.

Edited by Captain Fastbastard Mayhem

20 hours ago, Jp_perros said:

Odds are you are a few years off being able to really feel/use the difference.

My2c, take the money and throw it at a bike fit, a coach or a skills clinic...

13 minutes ago, Captain Fastbastard Mayhem said:

@OP you can mullet it without an issue. It's just a wheel.

Only thing you'd need to retain is the same cassette (for chain length and gearing compatibility) Hub width, axle size and disc size.

You'll be dropping the BB by about 20mm or so, but that's not a train smash unless you're already grazing rocks with your cranks & chainring. It'll also reduce the inertia on the rear, as long as you're not going heavier with the back wheel. That will make the rear more "lively" by virtue of it being easier to change direction, but not by much. Another by-product of that is that you'll be able to lift the front more easily as it'll have slackened out the HA by dropping the rear axle relative to the front axle.

FWIW I'd concentrate on the skills before you decide to pay them bills. Maybe even a better bar (slight riser) or a shorter stem. Flat bars belong in the gym.

'Flat bars belong in gyms' take that back you Philistine!