the unofficial Cape Epic 2024 thread

Shebeen

Can someone post a screen shot of the gc ? 

And how many riders scratched today ?

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

51 minutes ago, emme said:

Cutoff was extended by 20min?

Don’t think so, last listed finisher overall is at 9hr 26

35 minutes ago, BaGearA said:

Can someone post a screen shot of the gc ? 

And how many riders scratched today ?

IMG_2076.png

2 hours ago, NotSoBigBen said:

Interesting that I was asked a few years ago by a lady friend that was doing her first Epic what I would have done differently ... I said instead of those rushed up, over and back at Breedsnek a month before I would have walked, over and back a few times!

Breedts.....my not so favourite route. I'd hate to walk my bike over and I think you make perfect sense. We never prep to walk.

A few months ago I blew out 2 tubes and a tyre in my roadbike in the Cradle. I walked 2km from Cradle Moon to Valverde in the grass at the roads edge to protect my shoes....my legs felt it for 2 days ...

MEN’S ELITE

Scintillating racing today. The technical goggas also bit and the Buff’ team somehow escaped being bitten. Can the diminutive Howard G ‘ride himself into form’ and put a smile on the big guy’s dial? 

WOMEN’S ELITE

Those cool carbon wheels of the Ghost team are running ominously smoove. On closer analysis, Candice and Mona did well to recover after a minor technical gogga when Candice bombed her front tyre after loss of tyre pressure. I was concerned that it was going to be a repeat issue.

After last year’s storms and flooded trails on the tail end of the 2023 version, the sun gods rule this week. 

Very different epic from what we had last year. Looks tough and the heat was there today. I'm interested in the tents which look much different, also how is the food this year can't be any worst than last year. Watching some videos right now, from the other side of the world. 

33 minutes ago, TeamBaja said:

Very different epic from what we had last year. Looks tough and the heat was there today. I'm interested in the tents which look much different, also how is the food this year can't be any worst than last year. Watching some videos right now, from the other side of the world. 

Tents are decent and the food is way better! Can see that there have been a number of changes for the better in general.

That's great to know, I did express my opinion, about the food in particular we were spoiled in 2019. Hopefully next year will be the same. 

1 minute ago, Danger Dassie said:

Tents are decent and the food is way better! Can see that there have been a number of changes for the better in general.

Any update on the numbers ?

How many withdrew ?

How many did not make the cut-off ?

Any feedback on how they are dealing with the riders that lost a lot of time waiting for returning riders on that climb ?

10 hours ago, 'Dale said:

MEN’S ELITE

Scintillating racing today. The technical goggas also bit and the Buff’ team somehow escaped being bitten. Can the diminutive Howard G ‘ride himself into form’ and put a smile on the big guy’s dial? 

WOMEN’S ELITE

Those cool carbon wheels of the Ghost team are running ominously smoove. On closer analysis, Candice and Mona did well to recover after a minor technical gogga when Candice bombed her front tyre after loss of tyre pressure. I was concerned that it was going to be a repeat issue.

After last year’s storms and flooded trails on the tail end of the 2023 version, the sun gods rule this week. 

Candice did have an issue with her front wheel again over the last Km or so, that's why they did not / could not contest the sprint.

Edited by Wannabe
Spelling

Sorry no update on the withdrawn riders. That tab does have any information populated. Would have to go back and check how many teams started the prologue vs how many crossed the finish line last night. I like the changes they have made to the information presented but it does always feel like a work in progress.

54 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Sorry no update on the withdrawn riders. That tab does have any information populated. Would have to go back and check how many teams started the prologue vs how many crossed the finish line last night. I like the changes they have made to the information presented but it does always feel like a work in progress.

I've gone and looked and this is what I have found:

727 teams were registered; I can't see how many actually started

710 teams finished the prologue

659 teams finished stage 1

599 teams finished stage 2

So possibly 128 teams have not finished after 3 days.  I didn't check individual finishers, so I don't know how many teams have both riders out.

2 minutes ago, tux26 said:

So possibly 128 teams have not finished after 3 days.  I didn't check individual finishers, so I don't know how many teams have both riders out.

Seems a lot of money for 2 days of riding. 

10 minutes ago, tux26 said:

I can just hear the background cash-register noise of the organizers laughing "ka ching"