the unofficial Cape Epic 2024 thread

Shebeen

How long till commentators realise that the pyga team dropped from the chasing bunch. So Imbuko making time in the african jersey category.

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fillers are on repeat now

Fini’s chain issues are not a good advert for Shimano. None of the front running SRAM teams have had this sort of mechanical issue

🍿🥤

11 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Fini’s chain issues are not a good advert for Shimano. None of the front running SRAM teams have had this sort of mechanical issue

🍿🥤

Their chains might be 5w slower, but they don't break 😜

Never had a problem with my shimano XTR chains though, must be my baby watts

1 hour ago, DieselnDust said:

Good question. Food is already booked and paid for. The have a demand curve based on previous events so they already know how the meals demand tapers off after day2. No saving there.

tents are already bought and paid for. man hours is covered by volunteers, who pay to be there if I recall correctly.

i think it’s just about maintaining the #untamed epicness mystique 

This is how I would run it.

village 1:100% capacity

village 2:60% capacity + 20% contingency

village 3:50% capacity + 20% contingency

More people pull out than expected and you save on the contingency allocation, which is not paid for upfront. I don't know if they work out beforehand if you're staying in the tent village or BnB yourself, but they must be a critical count on the first night to see how many unallocated tents there are.

Another dof question - all entries for Epic include tent and accommodation I assume?

Surely in terms of;

Costs of tents, ablutions, communal marquees, fencing etc etc

Admin

Food waste

Water waste (bike washes, food clean ups showers etc)

Green credentials

The organisers should drop the price of a standard entry (self arranged accommodation and food etc which is what many (half the field?) people seem to do?

And offer a fully catered entry at current pricing for those who do want the full experience?

19 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

🍿🥤

On his bike check he had a gold chain, which suggests its not a stock shimano chain (Sponsored by Taya I think?)

6 minutes ago, Hilton. said:

yeaaah... I'm running those on the gravel bike, must say they don't last very long, I'd probably avoid them if I was at that level in such kind of race. But if they paid my salary then... I'd just make sure to put a fresh one every day and bring spare quicklinks with 😜

Edited by Jbr

15 minutes ago, ajnkzn said:

Another dof question - all entries for Epic include tent and accommodation I assume?

Surely in terms of;

Costs of tents, ablutions, communal marquees, fencing etc etc

Admin

Food waste

Water waste (bike washes, food clean ups showers etc)

Green credentials

The organisers should drop the price of a standard entry (self arranged accommodation and food etc which is what many (half the field?) people seem to do?

And offer a fully catered entry at current pricing for those who do want the full experience?

why? If you can get away with charging for something people don't use - this is a business afterall!

I suppose you're one of the guys who stays up late at night wondering why DSTV doesn't offer a sports only package at R500 pm.

No I have a Premium DSTV package but thanks for checking 👍

As a business owner, one of the best ways to make money is to cut wasteful expenditure which was my point. 

Seeing that Fox fork, I am reminding myself that it is time I replace my old Reba.

11 minutes ago, MaMc said:

Taya Chain

On that’s just horrible. I’ve never had good life out of their chains. One lasted 500km