the unofficial Cape Epic 2024 thread

Shebeen

43 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Gerald at least adds facts …

Neil is like a parrot trying to repeat but in reverse. Then he repeats again but with different words 

On day one Gerald got his riders confused, day 2 or 3 said Speed Company off the front yet they were dropped. Today he mentions Forster.....didnt know he was riding (must have meant Fini). If the Epic wants to be international and so it seems, judging by all the Spanish YouTube comments, they need to get a professional commentary team. Agree that Gardiner waffles but Gerald always waxes so lyrical, even on Toyota Cadence.... I can't imagine the rest of the world believing this is quality commentary....c'mon Epic, you can do better!

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

52 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Yes Nino and Fini being pragmatic. World cups start in 4 weeks. They need to be ready . The marathon guys don’t have as busy a schedule so they can afford to go deeper. 
matt and Howard rode a very very well measured race. Grotts riding a bit more conservative in stage 1 and 2 proved to be  the best pathway for their team. So good strategy. Not sure how much of a hand Mr Wakefield had in that but I’m sure it was more than a pinky. 
the revelation of the race was Buff Megamo. They surprised. Didn’t see them coming . They had a bad day but bounced back. At first i though they extended their one shot wonder to two shots but it’s been 5 shots so maybe they’ve made a preparation breakthrough.

georg eggar’s interview sounds like Lucas is suffering from exhaustion , the heat would have played a big role in that. Probably not heat acclimated enough. That little feature in the Garmin bike computer is quite useful. Laura Stark is suffering from similar symptoms and did not start this morning. Some saying stomach bug but there’s no gastric flu bug doing the rounds. There is a covid bug going around. 
every year the race does Tulbagh it’s stupidly hot and people suffer heat exhaustion but other things get blamed.

preparing for the heat cannot be over emphasised

That is to be understood. Even local riders who are used to riding in the heat would have suffered on Stage 4. Wellington can get damn hot when the wind is not blowing. I almost never ride Welvanpas in mid summer.

4 minutes ago, dev null said:

That is to be understood. Even local riders who are used to riding in the heat would have suffered on Stage 4. Wellington can get damn hot when the wind is not blowing. I almost never ride Welvanpas in mid summer.

I'm pretty sure Wellington is where the gates to hell are located, and the last person in left the door open.

1 hour ago, dev null said:

I think Nino will probably try and go for a stage win tomorrow. That is if his partner has it in his tank. At least it is a short and fun one.

Niel Gardiner, is this you? 🤣

1 hour ago, J Wakefield said:

Is it not possible for some the Hubbers here to offer their services on fixing the broadcast issues and offer their commentary skillset and time to improve the Epic week for all of us?

That's like you saying you can outride that fine athlete that Matthew Beers is (and that is a compliment of the highest order, in case I sound vague). 😎

18 minutes ago, tinmug said:

That's like you saying you can outride that fine athlete that Matthew Beers is (and that is a compliment of the highest order, in case I sound vague). 😎

I’ll outride Matt 8 of the 7 days in a week and he knows that. Well. 

2 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

Yes Nino and Fini being pragmatic. World cups start in 4 weeks. They need to be ready . The marathon guys don’t have as busy a schedule so they can afford to go deeper. 
matt and Howard rode a very very well measured race. Grotts riding a bit more conservative in stage 1 and 2 proved to be  the best pathway for their team. So good strategy. Not sure how much of a hand Mr Wakefield had in that but I’m sure it was more than a pinky. 
the revelation of the race was Buff Megamo. They surprised. Didn’t see them coming . They had a bad day but bounced back. At first i though they extended their one shot wonder to two shots but it’s been 5 shots so maybe they’ve made a preparation breakthrough.

georg eggar’s interview sounds like Lucas is suffering from exhaustion , the heat would have played a big role in that. Probably not heat acclimated enough. That little feature in the Garmin bike computer is quite useful. Laura Stark is suffering from similar symptoms and did not start this morning. Some saying stomach bug but there’s no gastric flu bug doing the rounds. There is a covid bug going around. 
every year the race does Tulbagh it’s stupidly hot and people suffer heat exhaustion but other things get blamed.

preparing for the heat cannot be over emphasised

totally....40c going over day 1 to 3 terrain....you will have suffered...

1 hour ago, J Wakefield said:

Is it not possible for some the Hubbers here to offer their services on fixing the broadcast issues and offer their commentary skillset and time to improve the Epic week for all of us?

I offered my services but they thought I was joking…!

maybe talking *** on bikehub isn’t a transferable skill!!? 😂

Commentator suggestion for 2025 Cape Epic. Bart Brentjens should team up with Rob Warner like the good old UCI days. (Bart wil probally be racing epic next year though)

Rob can get sooo excited about the timing splits on the downhill races. 

6 hours ago, dev null said:

I am enjoying Daryl Impey and Craig Colesky's videos of the real Cape Epic. I know exactly how it feels when you have nothing in the tank and the sun wants to kill you, and every little mountain stream is mana from heaven.

Daryl Impey is a natural story teller and funny as hell, love his cycling videos

2 hours ago, tinmug said:

Niel Gardiner, is this you? 🤣

Nope. Just me talking **** as usual.

46 minutes ago, Ruben Hechter said:

Commentator suggestion for 2025 Cape Epic. Bart Brentjens should team up with Rob Warner like the good old UCI days. (Bart wil probally be racing epic next year though)

Rob can get sooo excited about the timing splits on the downhill races. 

Rob would never be able to sit still for 1 hour, never mind 5 hours.