the unofficial Cape Epic 2024 thread

Shebeen

2 minutes ago, Pandatron said:

Also lets be fair, getting to Stage 7 of the Epic i can only believe that your legs are effed and that downhill might be a bridge too far competence wise in the reduced state.

That applies to all riders, or are you saying the people who overtook you on the climb to dive into the single track ahead of you and then walk, did it on purpose?

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Headshot said:

That applies to all riders, or are you saying the people who overtook you on the climb to dive into the single track ahead of you and then walk, did it on purpose?

There are many  who employ that tactic !

1 minute ago, Headshot said:

Post was supposed to be a reply to Robbie but there was a bug or something. Was related to people not flowing down the technical descent as fast he does on.

4 minutes ago, Ruben Hechter said:

Anyone have any stats on how many people rode the full cliffhanger trail down? 

I heard from the media guys that very few rode the first bit of that descent and many walked the entire thing from the climb to the descent 😂.

there were some angry mountain bikers 

The strength of commitment and emotional responses on this thread by guys who aren't ever going to ride the race is testament to how big the race is!!! 😜

Running Comrades is easy. Way easier than finishing the Epic. 

8 days of riding under pressure in a row is tough. There is absolutely no denying that. Probably tougher for the very back markers than the front/mid pack amateurs.

Walking trails when you're dehydrated, exhausted and running on empty is often a management tool. You just want to get to the finish without breaking anything.

Same as guys walking up hills.

If you haven't done a race longer than 3 or 4 days, you are likely not in touch with what goes on physically or mentally.

Compounded fatigue is real.

I still think the challenge is rad, as long as the motivation driving you isn't to be a part of an imaginary real mtb rider club.

Regardless of body shape, skill, bike brand etc getting this battle done isn't for everybody, but a helluva achievement nonetheless.

28 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

@DieselnDust I believe your covid assessment is likely culprit number one. Which brings me to the next question, should the Epic participants be monitoring their cardiac health over the next couple of months if compared to global increases in heart related health complications attributed to covid. That would be an interesting metric to monitor.

@Ozzie NL

Sure, I don't disagree, and I could state my position less harshly. I am just not a fan of being held up on single track. I am not a Danny Mac or Schurther even with regards to single track skills, but I can hold my own down a technical line because I spend a lot of time riding them. 

I am stoked for the people who enter and ride the trails, but I would not have much fun being held up (having experienced this before on events I participated in). 

Your comment re batches refers to being seeded in a faster batch, but does that imply an equal improvement in technical ability? 

Look, this year's route would entice me to "almost" enter because it looks fun, but I am no racing snake, so I would be in the latter half of the field every stage, and I would be frustrated out of my mind by day three.

Unless people are now dropping out of the Epic due to heart attacks and strokes I call BS on the covid theory. For one if that was true it would not be unique to the Epic we would be seeing it on all large events in all sports including the likes of the Cycle Tour and Comrades and that has certainly not been happening.

If one's priority is merely to have fun on technical trails why on earth would you spend  R100K+ on the Epic? All the better trails that were done this week and more are publicly accessible to go ride at a small fee without the crowds at a time of your own convenience. If you enter the Epic I guess the priority is to be part of something bigger and whatever challenges/satisfaction come with partaking and preparing for that. Getting stuck in traffic when you are slow would be part of that challenge.

7 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

The strength of commitment and emotional responses on this thread by guys who aren't ever going to ride the race is testament to how big the race is!!! 😜

Running Comrades is easy. Way easier than finishing the Epic. 

8 days of riding under pressure in a row is tough. There is absolutely no denying that. Probably tougher for the very back markers than the front/mid pack amateurs.

Walking trails when you're dehydrated, exhausted and running on empty is often a management tool. You just want to get to the finish without breaking anything.

Same as guys walking up hills.

If you haven't done a race longer than 3 or 4 days, you are likely not in touch with what goes on physically or mentally.

Compounded fatigue is real.

I still think the challenge is rad, as long as the motivation driving you isn't to be a part of an imaginary real mtb rider club.

Regardless of body shape, skill, bike brand etc getting this battle done isn't for everybody, but a helluva achievement nonetheless.

Well said.

i will add that there a great many people who are just not prepped to be able to ride the techs stuff but fit in the wide open trail. It’s about stress. One gent told me in 2018 that his heart  rate would spike on single track due to anxiety. 

the main beef I read here is the peeps who ride hard on the flats to get to the single track first then walk it because they’re trying to stuff your race for 400th place. 
they exist in numbers while those who will let you by to have your own race with yourself are few 

7 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

Unless people are now dropping out of the Epic due to heart attacks and strokes I call BS on the covid theory.

I never considered it as a possible reason until DieselNDust mentioned it, and it made me think, but as I typed my response I was thinking that would be the case since 2021 which clearly hasn't been.

Anyhow, I still have respect for anyone who starts the Epic and makes it all the way. I reckon as much as I believe I would ride it all, in all likelyhood I would be doing a fair bit of walking as well due to compound fatigue as Jewbacca said.

From the comfort of my couch something just riled me seeing all the people walking on the ST and that reminded me of a time I was exposed to similar doing Trailseeker events.

Now when it comes to trails, I ride the ones I want with my mates and barely anyone else, and that suits me fine. Kudos to anyone who loves the camaraderie in suffering a multi stage event.

2 hours ago, Ozzie NL said:

Same data, different format. The step up in drop out rate for last 3 years is striking

image.png.e93f177d9ae5a1788117394b692dfa8b.png

2024 - HEAT ....

2023 - WET ... and severe rain over the last couple of days ....

2022 - ??? cant recall what the conditions were like then ....

8 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

I never considered it as a possible reason until DieselNDust mentioned it, and it made me think, but as I typed my response I was thinking that would be the case since 2021 which clearly hasn't been.

Anyhow, I still have respect for anyone who starts the Epic and makes it all the way. I reckon as much as I believe I would ride it all, in all likelyhood I would be doing a fair bit of walking as well due to compound fatigue as Jewbacca said.

From the comfort of my couch something just riled me seeing all the people walking on the ST and that reminded me of a time I was exposed to similar doing Trailseeker events.

Now when it comes to trails, I ride the ones I want with my mates and barely anyone else, and that suits me fine. Kudos to anyone who loves the camaraderie in suffering a multi stage event.

I discarded 2021 since it was an easier route in a cooler part of the year (October).

less heat stress 

less exertion overall

less obvious impact of covid after effects.

ps: after effects aren’t limited to heart attacks and strokes. There are respiratory and metabolic after effects also

1 hour ago, PygaSchmyga said:

"who have no business riding the epic" - lots of judgerigteid around today, yoh

@Robbie Stewart moet maar net n paar spaar lids bring .... :P

The timing format is such that the "faster" riders SHOULD be ahead .... okay, lots of reasons to fall back, but this is PART of the Epic.

12 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

2024 - HEAT ....

I initially went down that train of thought but there have been similarly hot and wet Epic previously. 

Have only come up with % single track as plausible explanation

Either way after 3 years of ~30% drop pout rate I reckon we can consider it the new normal

7 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

I discarded 2021 since it was an easier route in a cooler part of the year (October).

less heat stress 

less exertion overall

less obvious impact of covid after effects.

ps: after effects aren’t limited to heart attacks and strokes. There are respiratory and metabolic after effects also

eish there goes my bragging rights 

blank-stare-really.gif

The REAL heroes are the ones who stay in those little ABSA tents every night, rain or shine, without any massages and make it to the end 🍻In my case i would prefer an airbnb and someone running around doing everything for me after a hard day in the saddle 😇

19 hours ago, ChrisF said:

2024 - HEAT ....

2023 had a hot few days in the middle of the event. Prologue was at Meerendal in temperate conditions, chilly wind blowing.

2022 Had the Prologue and Stage 1 at Lourensford and it was super hot on both days. Stage 1 took out close to 100 teams, might have been more. Thats the year Speed Company won it. Stage two went to Greyton into a headwind. Easy stage but peeps in the mid to tail of the field didn't train to ride that many hours at tempo and for some reason the Gantouw Pass killed a lot of legs. another 40-50 teams left their dream behind on the gravel

2021 was in October, featured a reduced COVID protocol field of 600 riders and the easiest route ever.

Edited by DieselnDust