Bike gadget charging harness

Kom

Di2/AXS/Varia Rear/Varia Front/bike computer/power meter etc

at some point bikes should come with an integrated BUS for charging all these things 🫣

IMG_4161.jpeg

theres an idea.

most (if not all) these devices get charged via usb, so if one could utilise internal cable routing to a central point connecting to a compact usb hub that can then either be connected to a power bank for mobile charging or external usb charger for "docked" charging.

currently i have a charging station setup in a drawer beside the bed, 1 usb cable supplying power to a usb hub inside the drawer, from there each device has a self retracting usb cable, but if this could all be done on the bike whilst stored in the garage that would be awesome.

14 hours ago, sirmoun10goat said:

If they have derestricted their bikes, it’s the least they can do

Just bring your own cables if you use half eaten apples ....

15 hours ago, Kom said:

Di2/AXS/Varia Rear/Varia Front/bike computer/power meter etc

at some point bikes should come with an integrated BUS for charging all these things 🫣

IMG_4161.jpeg

Complete aside - is that garmin light any good?

16 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

theres an idea.

most (if not all) these devices get charged via usb, so if one could utilise internal cable routing to a central point connecting to a compact usb hub that can then either be connected to a power bank for mobile charging or external usb charger for "docked" charging.

currently i have a charging station setup in a drawer beside the bed, 1 usb cable supplying power to a usb hub inside the drawer, from there each device has a self retracting usb cable, but if this could all be done on the bike whilst stored in the garage that would be awesome.

I have a charging bay mounted on the garage wall.

Bottom tray is for the rechargeble drill

Then camera batteries

Top is for the Garmin and bike lights.  The USB cables are routed in truncking and open bits just long enough for a neat installation.  I have been playing with the idea to get 2 or 3 long USB cables to charge a few items ON the bike  (new front light is a mission to mount)

Even has a timer to auto shut of charging, after some damage to drill batteries.

The tray(s) for ebike batteries were added later .... thats my story and I am sticking to it.

This may still be better than adding weight to a bike for ease of charging.

Cycling is a green sport .... so obviously ALL such charging is done from solar ....

30 minutes ago, mecheng89 said:

Complete aside - is that garmin light any good?

Backing out a bit, I started off getting the Varia 515 in December for the rear (Garmin were running a special), and off of that moment of being impressed, decided to get the front light, which wasnt cheap.

The two lights cost R7k - and will recommend them easily off these merits:
1 - rear - cars drive around me now, the light lets them know im there as they get closer, and just works. The light is bright, probably the brightest ive seen on a bike. As a result, im way more relaxed riding up roads and passing cyclists, even cutting corners knowing there are no cars behind me. TL:DR - this has made road cycling way more relaxing, should have got one years ago.
2 - front - the magic with the UT800 is the speed sensitive auto-light adjustment. the other piece of magic is being able to control the light modes from my touch screen, which is great, no fiddling around the front, i set and forget. it also switches on/off by itself when the ride starts/ends too. The definition of a lumen is different among manufacturers. ive had 1000 lumen lights not as bright as this one at 800, so i wouldnt read into that if you think its low.

I was caught off guard this weekend when i realised there isnt much ambient light until 0620, summer is beginning its departure, and early morning rides are totally feasible with this light.

Edited by Kom

17 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

I have been playing with the idea to get 2 or 3 long USB cables to charge a few items ON the bike  (new front light is a mission to mount)

This may still be better than adding weight to a bike for ease of charging.

Cycling is a green sport .... so obviously ALL such charging is done from solar ....

Keen to see your end result of using extended cables to charge on the bike - a harness of sorts (in my mind im imagining some electrician or engineer build one)

I tend to agree that running these inside the bike with a powerbank (like the cannondale ride sense) will add unnecassary weight, and more rattle oppertunities. But if Shimano would open the central Di2 battery, which lasts forever, to purely an additional cable setup, i could see it becoming very common as we all move to Di2, already run lights, power meters and computers. This would be super stealthy.

1 hour ago, Kom said:

Backing out a bit, I started off getting the Varia 515 in December for the rear (Garmin were running a special), and off of that moment of being impressed, decided to get the front light, which wasnt cheap.

The two lights cost R7k - and will recommend them easily off these merits:
1 - rear - cars drive around me now, the light lets them know im there as they get closer, and just works. The light is bright, probably the brightest ive seen on a bike. As a result, im way more relaxed riding up roads and passing cyclists, even cutting corners knowing there are no cars behind me. TL:DR - this has made road cycling way more relaxing, should have got one years ago.
2 - front - the magic with the UT800 is the speed sensitive auto-light adjustment. the other piece of magic is being able to control the light modes from my touch screen, which is great, no fiddling around the front, i set and forget. it also switches on/off by itself when the ride starts/ends too. The definition of a lumen is different among manufacturers. ive had 1000 lumen lights not as bright as this one at 800, so i wouldnt read into that if you think its low.

I was caught off guard this weekend when i realised there isnt much ambient light until 0620, summer is beginning its departure, and early morning rides are totally feasible with this light.

The Garmin UT800 out front and RTL715 in back is a great combo especially if you have an Edge device. Bright, smart and fairly good battery life, the built in app on the Edge allows you to control the settings of both as well as use other profiles. There are some Connect IQ apps available as well (Smart Bike Lights for eg) that can be set up as widgets or Data screens on the Edge and they allow very easy control of the lights. Auto-start at a set speed, and when you finished and save your activity, they both go to sleep with bluetooth polling to wake them up when you set off again. The only hiccups I have had, is sometimes the Edge doesn't pair both to form the Light Network when you wake the Edge up from Sleep mode (sometimes only one gets paired in the Network)...I think this is an Edge issue and a quick Edge re-start before it starts recording sorts it out.

I ride in full darkness with the UT800 as it does throw a good beam but always carry a headlight as well for full night riding. The latest Varia versions are the brightest rear lights you will find!

2cents

5 minutes ago, capediver said:

if you have an Edge device. Bright, smart and fairly good battery life, the built in app on the Edge allows you to control the settings of both as well as use other profiles. 

Auto-start at a set speed, and when you finished and save your activity, they both go to sleep with bluetooth polling to wake them up when you set off again. 

I ride in full darkness with the UT800 as it does throw a good beam but always carry a headlight as well for full night riding. The latest Varia versions are the brightest rear lights you will find!

Both work really well on the Hammerhead Karoo 2. Dedicated screens for controlling both built in by default , and ofc integrated traffic display with cars etc

auto speed lighting also works, and also switches off front light when stopped, for some reason not the radar. (I switch them both off at the end of the ride anyway, but would be nice at coffee stop to save battery).

the UT800 came out 6 years ago and actually targeting trail/mtb riders. The full power light beam, and width is really good, then dimms right back to 200lumens when you are climbing up the trail.

12 minutes ago, Kom said:

Both work really well on the Hammerhead Karoo 2. Dedicated screens for controlling both built in by default , and ofc integrated traffic display with cars etc

auto speed lighting also works, and also switches off front light when stopped, for some reason not the radar. (I switch them both off at the end of the ride anyway, but would be nice at coffee stop to save battery).

the UT800 came out 6 years ago and actually targeting trail/mtb riders. The full power light beam, and width is really good, then dimms right back to 200lumens when you are climbing up the trail.

Off topic: You can switch the Radar off via the built in Garmin Radar tab which is installed when you first hook up the device...I use a Third party Connect IQ app as a data screen in my ride profiles, it talks to the Garmin Varia controller for the device (basically just accesses the device settings and re-arranges it) and you can use this data screen to switch off lights for a coffee stop...but it then goes into "Manual" or Individual Mode and you have to switch it back to the Network Mode you set up initially...pretty easy via the datascreen though...double tap mode buttonsimage.png.0729d4686c22fb465b448a22bf5f8d4d.png

22 hours ago, sirmoun10goat said:

In the age of internal batteries and wireless everything (except brakes), I cant help but feel that this system is a bit version 1.0 from 2015.
Cool idea, but external cables and sticky-outie bits and separate mounts and non integrated bits are clunky.
I am hoping that the next version is sleeker like @Kom wishes that it was.

1 minute ago, splat said:

In the age of internal batteries and wireless everything (except brakes), I cant help but feel that this system is a bit version 1.0 from 2015.
Cool idea, but external cables and sticky-outie bits and separate mounts and non integrated bits are clunky.
I am hoping that the next version is sleeker like @Kom wishes that it was.

I feel we are already all running with a Di2 battery thats good enough to be the "reservoir" for auxiliary needs.

We just need shimano to give us the cable ...