Cape Town Cycle Tour 2024

pdasilva

11 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

I'm curious what weather were in for on the day. Will the wind be howling, or might it be another scorcher, or would it possibly be raining? Maybe we get the trifecta. Or maybe we're lucky and it ends up being a jewel of an early autumn day with mild temperatures and light breezes to keep things cool. I'm starting to catch the fever.

partly cloudy and mild

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, bebnin said:

Nice - I've done it single speed last two years and it was fun - just be ready to walk up Suikerbossie should you need to (i needed to, but it really depends on your ratio I guess). You'll get a lot of comments on the way which is always fun.

SS is one thing, fixed gear is another....make sure you have a good ratio for climbing, the downhills are irrelevant, you gonna unclip/let it spin!

1 hour ago, capediver said:

SS is one thing, fixed gear is another....make sure you have a good ratio for climbing, the downhills are irrelevant, you gonna unclip/let it spin!

When i did it on fixie, I found the long downhills way harder work. think i was on 48x18

(maybe because i only had front break), but spinning the cranks freely sounds fun, but far from safe with a lots of riders around like on argus day.

1 hour ago, Shebeen said:

When i did it on fixie, I found the long downhills way harder work. think i was on 48x18

(maybe because i only had front break), but spinning the cranks freely sounds fun, but far from safe with a lots of riders around like on argus day.

Interested to know - what broke at the front of your bike? 

Calling the fun police, but riding a fixie is against the rules for pretty obvious safety concern issues.

I've done it on a lot of single geared bikes as well as a fixie with front brake (luckily no front break)

The chappies and suikerbossie descents suck. Not steep enough to freewheel, not flat enough to engage the ratio properly.

The minutes are ticking away FAST for those that still need to wrap up the electronic-paperwork ..... (see last post)

3 hours ago, Headshot said:

Interested to know - what broke at the front of your bike? 

Touche!

3 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

Calling the fun police, but riding a fixie is against the rules for pretty obvious safety concern issues.

I've done it on a lot of single geared bikes as well as a fixie with front brake (luckily no front break)

The chappies and suikerbossie descents suck. Not steep enough to freewheel, not flat enough to engage the ratio properly.

Not sure if they are explicitly outlawed, I was riding it a lot then but your point is valid. There's a reason I only did it once.  I found the long fast drag past cape point the toughest actually! 

On 1/31/2024 at 2:02 PM, Jewbacca said:

fun police go check your rules!!

I don't think it is.

relevant to bike:

2.1. Every rider may only ride a human powered vehicle or an E-Bike to complete the course, subject to clause 3 below

2.9. A rider may not ride a bicycle fitted with triathlon, time trial or “Spinachi”-type bars and the organisers reserve the right to disallow the use of certain types of bladed wheels that are considered unsafe

a real stretch:

2.2. Every rider must ride carefully and with due regard to the safety of other cyclists, other road users and spectators.

Other rules that are clearly transgressed by many:

2.12. A rider may not use a personal music system, e.g. iPod, or a radio communication device, including a cellular phone, whilst riding, except that members of professional teams may use a radio communication device if in accordance with UCI (Union Cycliste Internationale) rules and regulations which can be found at www.cyclingsa.com.

2.15. A rider may not use foul or offensive language or make offensive, indecent or inappropriate gestures.

ebikes, where the cheaters:legit ratio is approaching unity

3.6.1. it weighs less than 30 kg;

3.6.2. it looks like a bicycle and accordingly must contain pedals which serve as the principal method of propulsion;

3.6.3. the auxiliary electric motor with which it is equipped has a maximum continuous rated power of 250W (or 0.25kW);

3.6.4. the motorised assistance only engages when the rider is pedalling, progressively reduces and finally cuts off as the vehicle reaches a speed of 25 km/h or sooner (i.e. no permanently powered bicycles);

3.6.5. it is fitted with a control mechanism that limits the maximum electric powered speed on PAS (power assist) mode to 25 km/h;

drugs are cool (for funriders only, but don't crash!)

2.29. Riders in the U17, Elite Men and Ladies racing groups may not use performance enhancing drugs. A rider, other than a licensed rider, is not subject to anti-doping testing, except that any rider may be tested for alcohol or drugs after an accident.

The Mankini clause

2.16. A rider must wear clothing appropriate for a family event at all times.

fun police go check your rules!!

I don't think it is.

relevant to bike:

2.1. Every rider may only ride a human powered vehicle or an E-Bike to complete the course, subject to clause 3 below

2.9. A rider may not ride a bicycle fitted with triathlon, time trial or “Spinachi”-type bars and the organisers reserve the right to disallow the use of certain types of bladed wheels that are considered unsafe

a real stretch:

2.2. Every rider must ride carefully and with due regard to the safety of other cyclists, other road users and spectators.

Other rules that are clearly transgressed by many:

2.12. A rider may not use a personal music system, e.g. iPod, or a radio communication device, including a cellular phone, whilst riding, except that members of professional teams may use a radio communication device if in accordance with UCI (Union Cycliste Internationale) rules and regulations which can be found at www.cyclingsa.com.

2.15. A rider may not use foul or offensive language or make offensive, indecent or inappropriate gestures.

ebikes, where the cheaters:legit ratio is approaching unity

3.6.1. it weighs less than 30 kg;

3.6.2. it looks like a bicycle and accordingly must contain pedals which serve as the principal method of propulsion;

3.6.3. the auxiliary electric motor with which it is equipped has a maximum continuous rated power of 250W (or 0.25kW);

3.6.4. the motorised assistance only engages when the rider is pedalling, progressively reduces and finally cuts off as the vehicle reaches a speed of 25 km/h or sooner (i.e. no permanently powered bicycles);

3.6.5. it is fitted with a control mechanism that limits the maximum electric powered speed on PAS (power assist) mode to 25 km/h;

drugs are cool (for funriders only, but don't crash!)

2.29. Riders in the U17, Elite Men and Ladies racing groups may not use performance enhancing drugs. A rider, other than a licensed rider, is not subject to anti-doping testing, except that any rider may be tested for alcohol or drugs after an accident.

The Mankini clause

2.16. A rider must wear clothing appropriate for a family event at all times.

Yeah, it seems they have changed the Amish bike rules and made a far bigger deal about the E-bikes now.

It used to specify a free wheel and 1 break 

Seems the advent of E-bikes has shifted the focus