Cape Town Cycle Tour 2024

pdasilva

2 hours ago, TheoG said:

During our night ride last night someone mention a "Argus MTB" race the week before CTCT.  Is this still a thing?  Cant seem to find anything about it online since about 2014 ....

If so where can I enter?

Will be doing my first CTCT on the 10th .... 😊

PPA did a mtb event last year around July. Don’t think it was related to the Argus though although not sure myself. 

I wouldn’t be surprised to see an Argus gravel event soon. Seems to be the in thing at the moment.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, DieselnDust said:

It hasn’t happened since 2020 when it took place in Banhoek. I haven’t seen any promotion of a Mtb race since. It’s used to be organised Dirtopia.

As I recall Cycle Tour withdrew their association from the mtb race somewhere around 2018, Dirtopia still organised a few but then around Covid times lost interest in organising mtb events all together.

Argus mtb was a good example of the power of marketing & branding, just being associated with the cycle tour always brought in a guaranteed 1000+ entries, despite the route being crappy and unimaginative for most of its existence.

3 hours ago, TheoG said:

During our night ride last night someone mention a "Argus MTB" race the week before CTCT.  Is this still a thing?  Cant seem to find anything about it online since about 2014 ....

If so where can I enter?

Will be doing my first CTCT on the 10th .... 😊

ENJOY your 1st :clap:

12 hours ago, Mamil said:

Can't see the point frankly. Most people will have cell phones and simply sharing location will give more accurate info. Or Garmin live track for those with watches / headunits.

Agree and disagree, at least something is in place. Hopefully it work with some sort of accuracy to be usefull.

Last year my mate did Ironman in PE the week before CTCT, the Ironman app allowed me to track him the entire time even though he was not carrying a phone or using a Garmin. I'm guessing it also used some sort of predictive algorithm to estimate where he was.

Oh and Garmin Live Track relies on connection to your phone, so you would need to carry both.

On 2/22/2024 at 9:43 AM, The Ouzo said:

Agree and disagree, at least something is in place. Hopefully it work with some sort of accuracy to be usefull.

Last year my mate did Ironman in PE the week before CTCT, the Ironman app allowed me to track him the entire time even though he was not carrying a phone or using a Garmin. I'm guessing it also used some sort of predictive algorithm to estimate where he was.

Oh and Garmin Live Track relies on connection to your phone, so you would need to carry both.

I really enjoy dot-watching my friends doing Ironman.  Crunching the numbers and giving feedback to their road side supporters on their progress.

Few months later these same people wanted to follow me doing the CTCT .... no such function in 2023.  I dont typically have data on my "bike phone", but may go this route in future.  After I completed, without being able to upload my event data for my friends, I ended up waiting until after 17:00 for a friend that had the worst CTCT and had to come back in the sweeper vehicle.  Had many calls checking up why my race data is not available .....

If the event provides some form of tracking and progress updates it would be handy.  If not, I will just load data and share with my friends in future.

EDIT - Seems I am able to "share" data from my primary MTN contract to my pay-as-you-go that use on the bike.  Will certainly try this out.

Edited by ChrisF

The 2020 edition was under the cycletour trust banner. Entry was via the cycletour website. I ride with a few race snake pals from the UK who were also riding the cape epic. There was some political wobbliness with previous years editions so there was this on again off again game at play.

route wise , well ja it wasn’t ever going to be the most technical routes because Argust are for everyvun remember 

7 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

I really enjoy dot-watching my friends doing Ironman.  Crunching the numbers and giving feedback to their road side supporters on their progress.

Few months later these same people wanted to follow me doing the CTCT .... no such function in 2023.  I dont typically have data on my "bike phone", but may go this route in future.  After I completed, without being able to upload my event data for my friends, I ended up waiting until after 17:00 for a friend that had the worst CTCT and had to come back in the sweeper vehicle.  Had many calls checking up why my race data is not available .....

If the event provides some form of tracking and progress updates it would be handy.  If not, I will just load data and share with my friends in future.

Racetec did provide "live" tracking for a few years, but it didnt last long and I'm not to sure how well it worked as I never used it.

1 hour ago, The Ouzo said:

Racetec did provide "live" tracking for a few years, but it didnt last long and I'm not to sure how well it worked as I never used it.

My wife used it to track me and my dad, it just used the timing mats along the route, no predictive magic. I think it occasionally missed a mat, but not too bad.
The app hasn't worked properly in a few years though.

1 hour ago, Brendon On Dad Brown said:

Will there ever be a Junior Tour again for the kids. Was such a hit with the kids, now its zilch for the next Generation.

Is this not the new 42km ?

2 minutes ago, Brendon On Dad Brown said:

No it was for the young kids. There was a 1.5km and 7km race for older kids

it was a flippen jol, week before the actual race - i guess they just don't like the numbers or the effort required. MORE of us need to ask why it won't come back.

it was cheap (well not if you count the cost per km!!) but really well attended

50 minutes ago, Brendon On Dad Brown said:

No it was for the young kids. There was a 1.5km and 7km race for older kids

Aaaah, okay.  Thanks.

7 hours ago, Shebeen said:

I could see it working again with tygerberg mtb

That weekend I will the either be found on DH0 at Tokai or Iron Monkey at Jonkers if no one was looking for me.

My Mom has downloaded the app and loaded us as tracked riders. Let’s see how it works. I very rarely race with my phone on me, last year she wanted to track us so I took my phone with and we used either WhatsApp or garmin but I just hated carrying my phone and it kills the battery. I’m guessing it will work similar to racetec and update at each mat and then use an algorithm of sorts to kinda predict our location. Or they might have a lot more pick up points to make it a bit more accurate. 

41 minutes ago, Long Wheel Base said:

My Mom has downloaded the app and loaded us as tracked riders. Let’s see how it works. I very rarely race with my phone on me, last year she wanted to track us so I took my phone with and we used either WhatsApp or garmin but I just hated carrying my phone and it kills the battery. I’m guessing it will work similar to racetec and update at each mat and then use an algorithm of sorts to kinda predict our location. Or they might have a lot more pick up points to make it a bit more accurate. 

I ALWAYS ride with my phone with me.
How else are you going to take pics? 😆