Cape Town Cycle Tour 2024

pdasilva

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Aidan Riley said:

Anyone selling a ticket for this weekend?

You mean a race entry? You can still buy one for R1250 on the cycle tour website 

2 hours ago, The Ouzo said:

As I've understood it, the one we have for 947 is a permanent one and should work for CTCT.

I'll be taking mine with to the expo to confirm.

Probably permanent for 947 and jhb races.

down here we have our own time zone so you need a Cape Town timing board 

tsk tsk snigger snigger giggle

11 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Probably permanent for 947 and jhb races.

down here we have our own time zone so you need a Cape Town timing board 

tsk tsk snigger snigger giggle

Does my bike need to go through road worthy to register for a CAA reg plate ? 😄

8 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

Yes they need to pack more riders in as there are fewer start groups basis the poor initial uptake of entries. Entires accelerated through January and then the tour de ppa has gifted many a higher starting group than they would otherwise have. Multiple factors all DK tributing toward what is going to be a high stress ride on sunday 

You seem way too upset about this. If people were “gifted” a higher starting group then surely these same people will be dropped before Edinburgh anyway. Also, the entries for the Tour de PPA were way less than Winelands or 99er so its not like we are adding an additional 200 people. The group is was already large from the get go. We’re probably adding what 20-30 extra people. 

Out of interest, how big were the front groups back when he had around 30K entrants? Pretty sure it would have been this size back then anyway. It’s just the last 5 or so years where we had a rapid decline in numbers which meant smaller groups. To me it seems we are back or at at least close to pre-covid numbers. If that’s the case, then ofcourse groups are going to be larger. That 300-400 number per group seems standard all the way down. The only way to reduce this, is to create more groups which means even later start times for some people. You can’t please everyone unfortunately.

3 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

Does my bike need to go through road worthy to register for a CAA reg plate ? 😄

We appreciate your cooperation a sharing of your tax money. We propose it be put to good use for nexts years CTCT

some more tsk tsk snigger sniggers 

1 minute ago, Bub Marley said:

You seem way too upset about this. If people were “gifted” a higher starting group then surely these same people will be dropped before Edinburgh anyway. Also, the entries for the Tour de PPA were way less than Winelands or 99er so its not like we are adding an additional 200 people. The group is was already large from the get go. We’re probably adding what 20-30 extra people. 

Out of interest, how big were the front groups back when he had around 30K entrants? Pretty sure it would have been this size back then anyway. It’s just the last 5 or so years where we had a rapid decline in numbers which meant smaller groups. To me it seems we are back or at at least close to pre-covid numbers. If that’s the case, then ofcourse groups are going to be larger. That 300-400 number per group seems standard all the way down. The only way to reduce this, is to create more groups which means even later start times for some people. You can’t please everyone unfortunately.

Group limit was supposed to be 250, we’re at 396.

What irks is the rules for seeding seem to be motivated more by dangling carrots to encourage more participation rather than rider safety 

What irks me more is the fact that we have to put that stupid handlebar board on when we have tag already on our seat post. Why not just give us a sticker to put on that same mount. Honestly thought we were finally done with that thing this year.

29 minutes ago, Bub Marley said:

What irks me more is the fact that we have to put that stupid handlebar board on when we have tag already on our seat post. Why not just give us a sticker to put on that same mount. Honestly thought we were finally done with that thing this year.

50km/h headwinds predicted and now we have to pay this aero penalty 😂

36 minutes ago, Bub Marley said:

Mine always ‘accidentally’ gets torn while in the chute but i always put it in my pocket as proof that i triedYou cant control when a shirt hooks it? 👀 People are very inconsiderate in there. 

It only matters if you want piktjas i would think? And for the tannie at the entry to the chute 

Edited by MORNE

2 hours ago, Bub Marley said:

I was curious so want back all the way to 2016. Most of the front groups didn’t get more than 280. Most were 220ish. So whatever point you’re making isn’t true.

the groups have definelty not been this big

2 minutes ago, matthew de haast said:

I was curious so want back all the way to 2016. Most of the front groups didn’t get more than 280. Most were 220ish. So whatever point you’re making isn’t true.

the groups have definelty not been this big

The group was bigger than 280 before the PPA race. 

2 hours ago, Bub Marley said:

Agree on the Tour de PPA - don't think it made much of the difference, seems like everyone in B to C were already in the racing vets groups even before the event.

On the front groups, no, it wasn't this big. Its hard to compare with previous years because the organisers played around with formats. At one point they had smaller groups with smaller (like 30 second gaps) between them. It was also real hard to get into the racing vets, before the fires/storms cycle tours often a finish time of 2h50 would not be good enough to get you into racing vets the next year.

I pretty much get the impression the organisers all but abandoned the concept of vet racing groups. I am real worried about chaotic starts, its not just about people getting dropped on Edinburgh, its going to be real important not to be blocked by the masses getting dropped on Edinburgh, so starting aggressively is the only way. Not thrilled by this but at least we know what we are in for.

No dog in this fight , as I don’t start with the racing snakes, maybe one day….
but the “organizing” of earlier starts really irks me, especially if it’s people that will literally only start with the earlier group and then just get caught anyway!

1 hour ago, MORNE said:

Mine always ‘accidentally’ gets torn while in the chute but i always put it in my pocket as proof that i triedYou cant control when a shirt hooks it? 👀 People are very inconsiderate in there. 

It only matters if you want piktjas i would think? And for the tannie at the entry to the chute 

I refuse to plak stickers on my bike or helmet. I don't want pichas and the tannie at the chute maar build a bridge and get over it.

I must admit to quietly shaking my head at people riding around in the weeks leading up to the big day with those photographer stickers on their helmets. Clearly the bike gets dusted off the in weeks leading up to race day after going into long term hibernation on the second Monday of March every year.

Guys hey leaving this lekker late - anyone got space for 2 bikes to CPT from Krugersdorp / JHB ?