Cape Town Cycle Tour 2024

pdasilva

Just now, Shebeen said:

ebikes = don't go faster than 3:50

it's very clearly stated in the rules

image.png.a60e742e47dcf6a215683c29f944b92a.png

Here is the current list of naughty boys (and girls), who need to go sit in the corner and apologise!

I was on Suikerbossie, saw a gentleman with a 1A seeding number on a road E-Bike flying up, Not sure if it's the same guy who is on the list with a 3:15 but a possibility indeed as my mates who finished in 3:15 or so were just ahead.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also had some heartbreak from @ group, 51 seconds short of a Sub 3. Was one of the better behaved groups that I can remember. 

Saw just the one guy go down hard after Smits at 60+km\h, watched him bounce and roll once he hit the deck. Had to come to a complete stop to avoid his bike that followed me to the left of the road. Hope he's okay!

16 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

@cadenceblurEverything starts with setting goals that are achievable. Its pointless trying to get a sub 3 when you've just started cycling and need to drop a lot of body weight while also gaining a lot of physical strength on 1 hr per day of available training time. Or maybe you're just trying to raise your ceiling, then that's a different discussion.

Every goal has to be realistic and backed up with a suitable training and nutrition plan that is sustainable. I've seen quick fixes cause more long term motivational and physical damage whilst allowing that short term goal. That is not worth it in my view. 

So here's my step by step guide. I won't break it down to sub bullets yet till you can share some information @Phillippe Coetzee

1. what kind of cyclist are you currently? Weekend warrior on road, mtb, gravel, or combinations
  2. how long have you been cycling?
  3. How many hours do you currently cycle, or spend on other physical activity?
  4. Do you currently or have you in the past participated in any sport at a high level and what was that sport and how recently?
  5. How many hours per week do you work and on which days?
  6. Is this work stressful or do you enjoy it to the point that stress is low?
  7. Is your family supportive of your sport leisure time or do you have to share your leisure time
  8. How much time per week do you have for physical activity alone?
  9. What are your sporting goals?
  10. Do you have any health issues?

More detail than this would start to delve into personal information that starts to require one on one discussion with disclosure agreements. But with the above and if the moderators don't see any issue with you sharing, we can help guide you and others who are looking to raise their ceiling.

Step 1:  set your goals

step2: get your family on board and arrange your life around the time required to achieve the goal

step3; get help. that may be  coach or someone or bodies who have achieved similar goals and are consistent. One hit wonders won' help, consistency is key because they have been through the highs and lows and are still plugging away.

step4: start your plan, including getting nutrition going in the right direction. Ride your bike, go to gym. start small and build sustainable love for your activities. We eat an elephant one bite at a time.

Step5: measure progress. Whether that's just the number of exercises, time on the bike average speed, time improvement over a course, measure, record, measure, record, measure, record, including weight loss. everything that you can.

step 6; learn the necessary skills: whether road or mtb, there are specific skills to learn. Bike handling is one skill, bunch riding is another, following a wheel in the bunch, braking, balance, cornering etc. are all skills that make or lose time.

step 7: enter some events even if just to practice skills but also to build your confidence and get your seeding up. Races are also where you get to know other riders and how they behave. This knowledge will help you when the chips are down in key races. You will know who to follow and who to avoid. Its pointless following someone to the front of the bunch just before Edinburgh Drive when yo know they're going to blow half way up.

There are certain things I don't prescribe because everyone's circumstances are different. I don't advocate clubs although this is a good way to find  a regular riding crew. Often you get advice in clubs that is not very good and sometime you find club that are brilliant. Be discerning here and find a club with a culture and members that aligned with your goals. If you're going to spend time with people make it valuable. Its pointless being a racing snake in a leisure club.

Power meters are nice to have but not essential at the beginning. When looking for the last 1% then I will say its is essential. At least have a heart rate monitor. These are relative cheap today with many players in the market.

I've probably missed a few points but the above are points of consideration that should spark some healthy conversation 

Will give a full reply as soon as I have time 😊👍🏼

10 minutes ago, NickGM said:

I rode in 1F and after the first half hour we were joined by a chap from 6C. He must have had great legs yesterday!

I want what he was on! 💊

15 minutes ago, alleyne said:

Also had some heartbreak from @ group, 51 seconds short of a Sub 3. Was one of the better behaved groups that I can remember. 

Saw just the one guy go down hard after Smits at 60+km\h, watched him bounce and roll once he hit the deck. Had to come to a complete stop to avoid his bike that followed me to the left of the road. Hope he's okay!

That crash happened just in front of me, very traumatising to see! Really hope he is ok!

34 minutes ago, NickGM said:

There it is. @Phillippe Coetzee I got my first road bike about 7 years ago but before that rode MTB a lot and was fairly fit. I just didn't understand how my friends (who were on the same level as me) could go out and ride weekend races at average speeds > 35kph and when I did my little solo franschoek road ride (75km) on sundays I would be happy if I could average over 28kph. I didn't understand how it was possible (which I think is where your head is at now). But I did my first few races and my seeding got better. After about 4 races I was riding in 1A and I remember after the first hour of riding I looked down at my garmin for the first time and saw that we'd ridden 37km already. We did that whole 100km route at 36.5kph and I didn't actually feel that tired. It was a huge WTF moment. Had I gotten much better? No, not really. I was still riding solo to franschoek at an average of 28kph.

Getting to the point where you can join a fast group does take a lot of work obviously. You need to be fit and you need to climb up the seedings. Riding > 200km per week, intervals, being light (ie: diet) - all very important. But my point is, riding in a fast bunch added another 8-9kph for free.

Disclaimer: my best is 3:11 but I seem to pick the wettest windiest CTCTs to give it my best go, and also I'm just not that strong of a roadie! The point remains though.

Thank you for the reply, 3:11 is still insane 🫠

1 hour ago, Phillippe Coetzee said:

So a serious question.

For the people who did it around 3 hours. I would love to work to get to something like that but I am a little in the dark.

what is the trick to the whole operation when it comes to preparation, is the amount of riding you do(km), the speed you do it at or the total you climb in your rides ?

How many km a year will be sufficient?

Any feedback will be appreciated, really trying to achieve some goals 🙏🏼

From a first time sub3'er as of yesterday.

Here is my experience/recent history. If this helps for anyone.
I've done 10 tours, but only actually trained for the CTCT for last 3 years  when I decided cycling is my sport now. I have a history of always doing sport/exercise so my 'engine' has potential I suppose - i.e. I have always generally been 'fit'.
2024 - just got sub 3 by ~2min, started in &
2023 - got 3:04, started in 1A
2022 - got ~3:15, started in 1B

What I am doing now, as best bang for buck regrading time investment. I use Trainer Road (with indoor smart trainer), low volume plan supplemented with longer rides on the weekends.

The interval nature of the training plan, helped a lot with the climbs where it gave me confidence (and fitness of course) that I knew I could hold that level onto that intensity, this also brought on a level of familiarity.

2 hours ago, Kom said:

Same here - did you both get your special medal?

If not you can still go to cycle trust office.

IMG_4436.jpeg

Stupid question...

The number of tours on your race number= number already completed?

I.e if my race number said "9" tours, I should have asked for a blue one?

My best time was 2016. Missed sub 3 with 1min and 51 sec. started in 1D. We had 2 bunch hold ups in that race. Going for that Sub 3 is hard work and training and your head need to be in the game. That last 2km to the end the bunch sprinted and my legs just said hello and goodbye and I had to roll it in to the end line. 

1 hour ago, Phillippe Coetzee said:

So a serious question.

For the people who did it around 3 hours. I would love to work to get to something like that but I am a little in the dark.

what is the trick to the whole operation when it comes to preparation, is the amount of riding you do(km), the speed you do it at or the total you climb in your rides ?

How many km a year will be sufficient?

Any feedback will be appreciated, really trying to achieve some goals 🙏🏼

There are better more comprehensive answers on here but the 1st thing I would say is start doing regular races on your road bike. For a sub-3 you 1st need good seeding & 2nd some bunch riding experience - both you are only going to get by racing regularly, also races are by far the best feedback you are going to get on how you are progressing and what you need to improve on.

17 minutes ago, JacquesJ said:

Stupid question...

The number of tours on your race number= number already completed?

I.e if my race number said "9" tours, I should have asked for a blue one?

Correct  

Here sir, i believe you dropped this 🥇