Cape Town Cycle Tour 2024

pdasilva

8 minutes ago, MongooseMan said:

Does his first and last name start with the same letter? If so, that’s flipping funny because he made a whole instagram reel about people in character groups who can’t drink without wobbling 😂

No, the guy I'm speaking about is ML. I think we saw the same person, as a few of us saw ML wobbling on his bike while drinking just after he almost caused a crash a few km earlier.

But the reason I memorized his number was because I saw him littering and that made me angry.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, droo said:

Gravel bike with road tyres is about the sweet spot in my sample size of 1. Curly bars for decent body position, and aero wheels make way more of a difference than an aero frame. 

The extra weight does make a difference, but the clearance for wider tyres and general versatility for training rides off the beaten track were what swung it for me. 

If I make it into the ballies racing group next year I'll have proven my point, but in the meantime I'm having fun as I go. 

If you're proper racing though, there's only one way to go. 

Don't disagree about the benefits of a gravel bike, I'm all for more endurance type road bikes. But if budget is an issue you can pick up a great rim brake carbon road bike for half of what you'd have to outlay to get anything remotely close performance wise in a gravel bike.

Given that the OP's first goal would be to drop to a more racing snake weight (I was 72kg / 1.85m when riding sub-3 as a 20yr old...20+ years on I'm now much more like a puffadder than cobra 😆) I'd say throw R8k at a previously loved road bike and see how things go. If a road bike isn't for him then he sells it and only loses a couple of grand.

5 minutes ago, NC_lurker said:

Don't disagree about the benefits of a gravel bike, I'm all for more endurance type road bikes. But if budget is an issue you can pick up a great rim brake carbon road bike for half of what you'd have to outlay to get anything remotely close performance wise in a gravel bike.

Given that the OP's first goal would be to drop to a more racing snake weight (I was 72kg / 1.85m when riding sub-3 as a 20yr old...20+ years on I'm now much more like a puffadder than cobra 😆) I'd say throw R8k at a previously loved road bike and see how things go. If a road bike isn't for him then he sells it and only loses a couple of grand.

Not a bad option either. I just know Philippe moves a fair amount of second hand gear through the classifieds so would probably be able to build something decent quite easily if he knew what he was looking for. 

An 8k roadie to later strip for parts to build onto a gravel frame is a pretty good way of doing that as long as it's got a compact crankset. 

3 minutes ago, droo said:

Not a bad option either. I just know Philippe moves a fair amount of second hand gear through the classifieds so would probably be able to build something decent quite easily if he knew what he was looking for. 

An 8k roadie to later strip for parts to build onto a gravel frame is a pretty good way of doing that as long as it's got a compact crankset. 

Might make another forum to ask for help lol, Only clued up on mtb parts. But worth a shot to be honest 😊

3 minutes ago, Phillippe Coetzee said:

Might make another forum to ask for help lol, Only clued up on mtb parts. But worth a shot to be honest 😊

my 2c worth ....

Before putting money down ... ride a road bike and a gravel bike.

Actually, make sure to ride both a 1x and a 2x gravel bike.  For these types of road races the top and bottom end gearing of the 2x setup has advantages .....

1 hour ago, Phillippe Coetzee said:

Those were in 2018, also did cross country which was 6km. 

my 5km time was 17 ish minutes. So dont have the most experience in endurance races, did a 10km once in 34mins but thats about it..

Just think I need to find my feet hehe 😂

After school I got a skin decease (Cholinergic Urticaria) So I couldnt really practise or be in the sun, so I lost interest in all sports because it was a living hell.. But I out grew the skin thingy and I am back on track, trying to get into shape like I was. 😅 We all got to start somewhere

Running a 34min 10km is serious potential.

Structured training and you would bend cranks in 6 months time.

41 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

my 2c worth ....

Before putting money down ... ride a road bike and a gravel bike.

Actually, make sure to ride both a 1x and a 2x gravel bike.  For these types of road races the top and bottom end gearing of the 2x setup has advantages .....

Have a few contacts, will definitely give it a shot 😊

8 minutes ago, DJuice said:

Running a 34min 10km is serious potential.

Structured training and you would bend cranks in 6 months time.

Thank you, was some time ago tho but hopefully all falls in place. All I need is a training program 😜

1 hour ago, MongooseMan said:

Does his first and last name start with the same letter? If so, that’s flipping funny because he made a whole instagram reel about people in character groups who can’t drink without wobbling 😂

please send me a link because there was this one Oke who was constantly cutting me off in the group. I was about to toss a bottle at him when the good angel whispered "you will need that later....!"

1 hour ago, Owen said:

The & Group was chaotic as usual. The start group was way too large. I don’t understand the idea of mixing 30-39 and 50+ top seeded riders. 
Way too many close calls, I decided to rather sit at the back and chill. 

Sat too far back on Chappies and got unfortunately tailed off 
Ended with 3:03

Had some time to take a few pictures when the speed was relaxed on the Blue Route and coming into CT.

IMG_0463.jpeg

IMG_0469.jpeg

IMG_0470.jpeg

IMG_0471.jpeg

thanks, this brought back some memories

Edited by DieselnDust

12 hours ago, Kom said:

I was in 1A and missed the sub 3 by 36 seconds.

only 21 riders in our batch of 341 finishers went below 3.

i took a minute off my chappies record yesterday hanging onto that group but got dropped in the decent. (A PB that stood for >4yrs)

there is fitness and then there is endurance-fitness that i dont think ive worked hard enough for.

next year we try again 😁

We went over the line together. I'm the overweight dude in the Paarl Triathlon jersey. The last 24hrs I keep thinking to myself, if every garage pie I had these last couple of months equalled a second, I could've easily made sub3 haha.

7 hours ago, JohanDiv said:

We went over the line together. I'm the overweight dude in the Paarl Triathlon jersey. The last 24hrs I keep thinking to myself, if every garage pie I had these last couple of months equalled a second, I could've easily made sub3 haha.

There were a couple of appeals coming past the swimming pool from riders "pull harder, we can make the sub3"

The minute we all needed long lost at Edinburgh me thinks (looking at the split averages), but it was so close 😝

I dont know what was in those garage pies, but you can turn a crank sir 👌

Talk of 5-10 minutes burst and plenty freewheeling in this thread. This is my HR data for the race, plus setting a new max HR of 10bpm higher than what it was. 

IMG_1063.jpeg