Healthy ? Cycling Waterbottle/Hydration packs are PLASTIC !

Of the many things I'm told daily by my wife, doctor, the media et al are going to kill me I'd rate that pretty low on the worry meter .... Having said that, if that's the 'crusade' you want to pursue then please don't let anyone stop you!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

This is the only scientific paper, the rest of the links are articles.  I also don’t believe everything on a Google search.

When I asked, it was because your comment stated scientific results. My knowledge of scientific literature is lacking, but I have some good resources to assist. This was more statistical and not very well controlled as an experiment.

Generally most plastics on the micro side have made their way into many things. The clothes you wear, with aggressive washing machines that clean your gear etc.  It’s almost impossible I think to completely eliminate it from our current lifestyle. I’d be more worried about what happens to the millions of carbon fibre frames that are waiting there fate, coming to a landfill near you! 

On 3/15/2024 at 6:55 PM, NotSoBigBen said:

Of the many things I'm told daily by my wife, doctor, the media et al are going to kill me I'd rate that pretty low on the worry meter .... Having said that, if that's the 'crusade' you want to pursue then please don't let anyone stop you!

Yeah, I know - it's the story of 'if the sun doesn't kill you, the washing machine will'

My OP was not a crusade to convince anyone — but rather, that it occurred to me, that I need to also consider scientific proof re plastic dangers: in a cycling context.  The point was that we try to avoid or eliminate the bad stuff (like your wife and doctor tells you):-  do more exercise, eat less animal fat, use low fat dairy, eat more fibre etc etc. But, when it comes to continually drinking vast amounts of water etc out of Plastic bottles: we say ah, what the F*#k, I'm going to ignore science (that shows we vastly underestimate how seriously plastic affects our bodies)

It's similar to smoking; if it doesn't kill you instantly, it can't be that bad ! Right ?

Anyway, I think we are all tired of this topic now.

On 3/15/2024 at 8:20 PM, Frosty said:

This is the only scientific paper, the rest of the links are articles.  I also don’t believe everything on a Google search.

When I asked, it was because your comment stated scientific results. My knowledge of scientific literature is lacking, but I have some good resources to assist. This was more statistical and not very well controlled as an experiment.

Sorry, if you don't believe in science; I can't help you.  (If you are really interested, you don't need me to find research that comforts you: it's everywhere.)

On 3/15/2024 at 2:59 PM, Jewbacca said:

I have a bunch of alu and steel bottles with different tops that fit onto them for different situations

They such as cycling bottles. Fine on slow long runs or hikes and 100 milers, or the MTB if you're on the trails stopping to drink.

But, they are junk as cycling bottles in any sort of intensity. 

I eat food I don't cook myself pretty often, I smash fried potato more than I should and I have put a number of naughty things in my body over the years, my plastic bottles are the least of my issues

Never mind the fact that 100 milers, expeditions and other endurance shenanigans are not healthy for your body either. (this is hearsay though, I don't quite believe it)

On 3/15/2024 at 6:43 PM, The Ouzo said:

I suspect the mould in your bottle will get you before the plastic does. 

adds flavour.... Although I must admit as a new dad, the baby bottle sterilizer is great on soft flasks and water bottles.

Edited by dave303e
spelling

Yeah, I know - it's the story of 'if the sun doesn't kill you, the washing machine will'

My OP was not a crusade to convince anyone — but rather, that it occurred to me, that I need to also consider scientific proof re plastic dangers: in a cycling context.  The point was that we try to avoid or eliminate the bad stuff (like your wife and doctor tells you):-  do more exercise, eat less animal fat, use low fat dairy, eat more fibre etc etc. But, when it comes to continually drinking vast amounts of water etc out of Plastic bottles: we say ah, what the F*#k, I'm going to ignore science (that shows we vastly underestimate how seriously plastic affects our bodies)

It's similar to smoking; if it doesn't kill you instantly, it can't be that bad ! Right ?

Anyway, I think we are all tired of this topic now.

At least you got a few people to take a second look at their water bottles ...

The better bottles, at least as per the sign on the bottom, will hopefully be okay ....

Best to throw out the flimpsy cheap non-stamped stuff ....

As for health and exercise ... feels like I am now spending more time at the physio and bio than I did when I was a certified couch potato .... but by all the modern metrics I am now healthier ....

The research papers don’t focus on the preparation process bottles go through before use. 
yes micro plastics can be harmful but generally plastic containers are safe if washed before first use.

30 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

As for health and exercise ... feels like I am now spending more time at the physio and bio than I did when I was a certified couch potato .... but by all the modern metrics I am now healthier ....

thats because now you're more aware of your body and how it should function

15 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

thats because now you're more aware of your body and how it should function

Not sure if that is a good thing 😋

Sorry, if you don't believe in science; I can't help you.  (If you are really interested, you don't need me to find research that comforts you: it's everywhere.)

Did you hear that?!

It was loud, 

it was fast

It was his point flying past you, but you missed it completely? He most definitely believes in science, which is why he told you to go get some science to back up your topic (you're the one who started it, so bring some evidence to back up your concern). 

I'm going to put myself firmly in the "not worried" camp. If the entire cycling world is ok with plastic bottles, from WT level down then the risk is something I'll accept.

For now I'd put a pause on this thread as you've just compared drinking out of plastic bottles to smoking. Suggest you go here, hone your skills and come back charging!  https://www.facebook.com/groups/2046014892372345

21 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

Did you hear that?!

It was loud, 

it was fast

It was his point flying past you, but you missed it completely? He most definitely believes in science, which is why he told you to go get some science to back up your topic (you're the one who started it, so bring some evidence to back up your concern). 

I'm going to put myself firmly in the "not worried" camp. If the entire cycling world is ok with plastic bottles, from WT level down then the risk is something I'll accept.

For now I'd put a pause on this thread as you've just compared drinking out of plastic bottles to smoking. Suggest you go here, hone your skills and come back charging!  https://www.facebook.com/groups/2046014892372345

Lol at the 5G Facebook group. 😆 

In exactly the same vein, all these plastic pepper and salt grinders that are so convenient. As they wear, they simply deposit in plastic into your food as you grind. I refuse to use them myself. Can't control other people preparing meals that I may eat

the air you breath, the water you drink, the food you eat, it all has stuff that was bad for you in some way.

There are bigger things to worry about IMO. If you have time to worry about water bottles you live a very charmed life

1 hour ago, Shebeen said:

.... If the entire cycling world is ok with plastic bottles, from WT level down then the risk is something I'll accept.

Uhmmmmm ....

As mush as I AGREE with you .... using the "WT" as a meter for what is safe .... only thing we know from their behaviour is what is beneficial to performance ....