Passing time on a turbo

MarcoDeS

38 minutes ago, Dexter-morgan said:

I could not agree more but there is value in these sessions, can't see how people can do 100km on a zwift ride.

Spare a thought for those who do 160s, and the odd Audax.

Some guys on the higher levels have clocked MEGA miles, it's astounding to see.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I either watch GCN workout videos, or old bike races, especially ones where MVDP or Sagan takes the win. 

15 minutes ago, mecheng89 said:

Personally, I either watch GCN workout videos, or old bike races, especially ones where MVDP or Sagan takes the win. 

There are some nice clips on wahoo systm. that I enjoyed.

32 minutes ago, mecheng89 said:

You spelled entertaining wrong. It should be DIFFICULT 😁

Ja they are really tough. Remarkably accurate too. I get dropped more or less where I would be dropped IRL and I finish pretty much where I would expect to finish in a PPA group B fun ride.

+1 for Rouvy. I tried Zwift and hated the game-like experience. Rouvy has really nice routes, many in 4k video and you feel like you are there. They even have Clarence Drive (Gordons Bay to Rooi Els). I like the New Zealand gravel roads or the Norwegian fjords. Previously 1 hour was my absolute max on a trainer but now I can easily do a 1.5 - 2h trainer ride. 

+1 for the free options (MyWhoosh or IndieVelo, because Im cheap...) plus some podcasts on Z2/steady efforts. Tried Netflix series recently and that also works for me.

If I do a workout I'll swap the podcast for music - whatever gets the adrenaline going. 

Facebook is reminding me daily of the trainer rides I was doing during lockdown around this time. Trying very hard to stretch the time. Plus being on a "dumb" trainer meant it was that much more mundane.

Cycling videos etc. on youtube it how I managed to extend my time, without them I would not be last more than 30 minutes.

Given that one pedals the majority of the time when on a trainer, compared to riding outside (more variable), who actually takes time off on a longer endurance ride? Even just to stretch the legs, go for a pee, etc.?

It happens outside, so why should it be any different indoors? Rhetorical question.

8 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Given that one pedals the majority of the time when on a trainer, compared to riding outside (more variable), who actually takes time off on a longer endurance ride? Even just to stretch the legs, go for a pee, etc.?

It happens outside, so why should it be any different indoors? Rhetorical question.

I will dismount if it’s 1h30 zone 2 session. I rarely do longer z2 sessions than that. Intervals, I generally just push through, here again they are at most 1h20 thereabouts. 

5 hours ago, Jakkals. said:

Must say I battle the hear anything while riding rollers or kickr. And I hate thingies in my ears

kiekies or it didn't happen

(want dis nie op strava nie)

I'm with the 50 to 75 minute interval or structured session on the trainer group

I can't sit longer than that. In the junk weather I will run or surf or smash a ride inside a good weather window if possible, but the two short sessions with structure plus other non threshold training keeps me pretty able in Winter

The cold is the cold. You dress up to get down. The feeling of surging cold that makes your nipples feel like they are about to pop when you drop from little chappies into Noordhoek valley is a reminder how awesome it is to be alive!

11 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

The cold is the cold. You dress up to get down. The feeling of surging cold that makes your nipples feel like they are about to pop when you drop from little chappies into Noordhoek valley is a reminder how awesome it is to be alive!

I find its more in the head than anything else, once you're in it and pushing hard, the internal body temp fights with the external cold, but then you finish the ride and that internal body temp keeps going while the external temp gradually heats up as you seek warmer environments. The end result is that once you're showered and changed you feel great and ready for action, where as those around you are struggling to warm up and get going.

Spare a thought for those of us without Wattbikes or trainers and on old fashioned Spinn bikes ....I have an old but very nice Le Mond spinn bike and I either watch YouTube of Kayleigh Cohen's spinn classes or the Epic on my tablet...

PS: It really IS like waiting for paint to peel never mind dry!

9 hours ago, fanievb said:

kiekies or it didn't happen

(want dis nie op strava nie)

ek nurse n seer hak v al die wyn suip