the unofficial UCI Mountain Bike World Cup thread

nathrix

4 hours ago, Headshot said:

Not very much - some pads, filling in the rock wall ride gap ( damn) - anything else? Most of the the top riders are having no issues with the tech features. The rest of the track is pretty natural (when they not on a tar road) and quite challenging too.

the request was to have the rock ledge drop off removed if its wet so the course builders were opening an alternative route. Lets see what is implemented

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

the request was to have the rock ledge drop off removed if its wet so the course builders were opening an alternative route. Lets see what is implemented

Will be interesting if there is no rain predicted and then it starts raining halfway through one of the races.

Even in the dry it’s a downright dangerous feature for 100riders to hurl themselves off. If one person gets it slightly wrong or hesitates it’s going to be race over for many. Nice feature for an enduro or dh race but really doff for XCO 

5 hours ago, J Wakefield said:

thought you were talking about the Olympic selection.

I wasn't 100% sure what you meant but after some sleuthing I see what you did there.....LOL

15 hours ago, milky4130 said:

in our neck of the woods the uci commisaires made the changes based on the amount hospital visits with broken bones during course practice.

If only I had a vid of OTB in rock garden on course practice 🫢

14 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

Even in the dry it’s a downright dangerous feature for 100riders to hurl themselves off. If one person gets it slightly wrong or hesitates it’s going to be race over for many. Nice feature for an enduro or dh race but really doff for XCO 

It is a bit gnarly but these riders are good. Batten was raving about the track. I know you don't but many in SA view XCO as a close cousin of THE EPIC which it has never been. It's always had more in common with Enduro in many ways. All tracks now have drops and jumps and there are multiple alternative lines. I vote to keep the rock drop!

32 minutes ago, nathrix said:

That was yesterday’s conditions. They adjusted the XCC course. The rock drop is likely goi g to be closed if it’s wet tomorrow and rain is forecast. 

it’s a nice feature and riders love to ride it but when it’s in a race it’s going to cause carnage. The B- line isn’t safer in the wet either 😂. I didn’t realise how steep that wooden bridge is. This is going to be an interesting race tomorrow 

40 minutes ago, Headshot said:

It is a bit gnarly but these riders are good. Batten was raving about the track. I know you don't but many in SA view XCO as a close cousin of THE EPIC which it has never been. It's always had more in common with Enduro in many ways. All tracks now have drops and jumps and there are multiple alternative lines. I vote to keep the rock drop!

The riders are ok with the feature individually. They are all concerned about it under race conditions and have said to UCI it should be closed if wet. They asked for chicken wire over the wood features to provide grip . They may put down some gritty flooring material. The course has to be raceable and as the video below shows with a little bit of rain , it’s almost unnavigable. Thirty minutes for a lap.

i liked how Puck throws in some plugs for her sponsors from hair shampoo to pedals (that we know are not good in the mud, especially not better than the “4 sided Clip in pedals”😂

30min per Lap means 3 laps

Bucketing down during the U23 race. Luke had a front row start

crashes on the first lap playing out exactly as feared. This course is a FU in the wet

Edited by DieselnDust

Totem forest was closed for the wet conditions. Only C line open

riders taking b and c lines down the rock garden 

Edited by DieselnDust

11 hours ago, babse said:

If only I had a vid of OTB in rock garden on course practice 🫢

That’s called taking one for the team 🤪

Luke finished 15th. Super tuff conditions today. **** it’s a miracle no one was airlifted out. The drop off looked ok for most but the b and c lines were overused and most riders avoided the rock berm with the boarded gap since that plank would be more slippery than the rock! Some close calls with trees. 

Riley Amos 1st

Bjorn Riley 2nd

luca Martin 3rd

Now we wait for the ladies U23 tomorrow morning which is forecast for another heavenly dump 

Edited by DieselnDust