[Event] Canola Roller 2024 Greyton gravel grind

guidodg

A huge congrats to Guido and the rest of the organizing team. That was really a great event and you could honestly not ask for a better gravel route 🤙
The views in the Cape at this time of the year are just incredible and the weather even played along for a change. It's not often I get to stop and enjoy refreshment points in a race but we decided to take this race easier due to a mate nursing an injury and boy oh boy, that 2nd water table was a special surprise... Yoh, we could have spent all day there with those delicious treats on offer 😊 The free beer at the end was a lovely touch and most welcome. Nice meeting you as well Guido.

We'll certainly try and make this an annual visit to Greyton.  A group of good mates & family shared a beautiful old house in town and we made a long weekend of it. We managed to get in 3 days of incredible gravel riding in the area but by yesterday our legs cried enough. Those Rollers eventually take it out of you 😄

Mark.jpg

Snack Attack.jpg

Cruising.jpg

River.jpg

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, BuffsVintageBikes said:

Snack Attack.jpg

After missing the right turn around km 80 my race was effectively over. Was nice to stop here for some treats. Not something I get to do often! 😀

26 minutes ago, bleedToWin said:

After missing the right turn around km 80 my race was effectively over. Was nice to stop here for some treats. Not something I get to do often! 😀

image.png.b2d324374401b1db716694e9b2eb46f8.pngBased on the flyby at least 2 people missed that turn 

5 minutes ago, MongooseMan said:

image.png.b2d324374401b1db716694e9b2eb46f8.pngBased on the flyby at least 2 people missed that turn 

must have been soul destroying... Easy one to miss if you weren't looking

5 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

must have been soul destroying... Easy one to miss if you weren't looking

I was chasing @Jbr after losing a bit of nerve on the technical descending just prior and being just out of contact. Was not paying attention and GPS alerts were muted...  

Disappointing for sure, and lesson learned!

Stolen from one of the Strava activities that popped up in the flyby. Doesn't really do justice to the first of the 3 steep pitches in the 130k.Image

7 minutes ago, bleedToWin said:

I was chasing @Jbr after losing a bit of nerve on the technical descending just prior and being just out of contact. Was not paying attention and GPS alerts were muted...  

Disappointing for sure, and lesson learned!

we were 30/35secs ahead of you with Tom when we took that turn, and we had to stop because we also missed it, you were not looking at us in front nor at your GPS. Must have been some nice views at this point of the race 😅

I kept looking over my shoulder expecting to see you at some point for the rest of the race, was a big surprise when I saw Waldo/Etnard and some other guy in blue after turning around into that headwind gravel climb after the road part. I was expecting some orange there for sure !

You did a great climb, pitty about the descent :(

Edited by Jbr

I needed to leave soon after the race to pick my daughter up in Stellies and I came across some of the mid/back markers of the 130km race fighting their way into a block headwind on that tar section toward Caledon. It was at that stage that I was extremely grateful that I chose to do the 80km race, that just looked NAAAASTY 😩

We also got passed by the winner of the 130km race while having a snack at water point 2... he was on rails and doing some low flying 😲 Thereafter the top 8 caught us before we finished our race. The front guys were extremely strong, they just made me realize how bloody old I've gotten, I wouldn't have been able to sit their wheels even if I tried 😄

4 hours ago, BuffsVintageBikes said:

I needed to leave soon after the race to pick my daughter up in Stellies and I came across some of the mid/back markers of the 130km race fighting their way into a block headwind on that tar section toward Caledon. It was at that stage that I was extremely grateful that I chose to do the 80km race, that just looked NAAAASTY 😩

We also got passed by the winner of the 130km race while having a snack at water point 2... he was on rails and doing some low flying 😲 Thereafter the top 8 caught us before we finished our race. The front guys were extremely strong, they just made me realize how bloody old I've gotten, I wouldn't have been able to sit their wheels even if I tried 😄

After not doing more than a 40km training ride this head wind was horrible!!

Awesome race and awesome route, just wish I had trained. 

Agreed! Don't worry my training rides were 80km to 100km and that headwind gave me a hiding at the end.

Gave it a nice extra challenge though.! 😌 

On 9/23/2024 at 6:13 PM, guidodg said:

a link with all the photos coming soon 🤗

Heyo
Any news?
So some posts on Insta but high resolutions is always better.
Thanks!