[Event] Durbie Dash

Ernst Viljoen

Event Name: Durbie Dash
When: 12/10/2024
Where: Durbanville High School Cricket field, Vissershok Road, Durbanville., DurbanvilleCape Town, Western Cape
Category: Gravel

The Gravel event will include three distances, namely 86, 31 & 12km. Heading north-east, riders will soon after the start hit gravel for a great experience in the Klipheuwel farmland.

All three distances are sanctioned by CSA.

The finish will be on Klein Phisantekraal Farm and the riders will be returning to the School for medals and refreshments.

Go to Event Page.

13 hours ago, Skubarra said:

I'm helping with the gravel race, will ask the organiser to merge the posts 👍

Cool.

I normally do the road event. However, this year I’m thinking of switching to the one of the off road events. Will wait till the routes drop before making final decision. At the moment I’m leaning towards the mtb event but if it’s mainly tygerberg trails then I’d rather do the gravel as I think it’ll be more of the paths we dont ride on.

6 minutes ago, Bub Marley said:

Cool.

I normally do the road event. However, this year I’m thinking of switching to the one of the off road events. Will wait till the routes drop before making final decision. At the moment I’m leaning towards the mtb event but if it’s mainly tygerberg trails then I’d rather do the gravel as I think it’ll be more of the paths we dont ride on.

Please do the gravel ride then!! 😀

You know how bloody difficult it is to create a gravel route in the northern suburbs that is at least 70% gravel. We had to do a lot of exploring, trial and error and re-routing! Will be a proper gravel route and take you to some places we are not normally allowed to ride.

The mtb I suspect will be similar to previous years, mostly Tygerberg (because that is what is there) but with some links on farms not normally rideable.

1 hour ago, Skubarra said:

Please do the gravel ride then!! 😀

You know how bloody difficult it is to create a gravel route in the northern suburbs that is at least 70% gravel. We had to do a lot of exploring, trial and error and re-routing! Will be a proper gravel route and take you to some places we are not normally allowed to ride.

The mtb I suspect will be similar to previous years, mostly Tygerberg (because that is what is there) but with some links on farms not normally rideable.

Sorry to put you on the spot .... any reason for not allowing e-bikes to do the gravel event ?

Like @Bub Marley I would love to ride some other trails/tracks.

O-well, not a biggie ... this event is normally part of my training for the World Champs of Fun Rides 😛

2 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Sorry to put you on the spot .... any reason for not allowing e-bikes to do the gravel event ?

Like @Bub Marley I would love to ride some other trails/tracks.

O-well, not a biggie ... this event is normally part of my training for the World Champs of Fun Rides 😛

Hi Chris

As I have it e-bikes are allowed on the gravel event. Where did you see otherwise, I just tried the portal and I could enter the long distance on an e-bike (or at least got to the point where I could pay)

Let me know

Going to have to flip a coin on which discipline to do 🙈

1 hour ago, Skubarra said:

Hi Chris

As I have it e-bikes are allowed on the gravel event. Where did you see otherwise, I just tried the portal and I could enter the long distance on an e-bike (or at least got to the point where I could pay)

Let me know

Not allowed by omission ... at least that is what the rules elude to.  Also the fact that e-bikes were not allowed to do the first gravel event. (thats why I went looking to see if I would be allowed to do the next one)

Rule 5 :

5. E-bikes are only allowed in events with E-Bike categories as stated. (Minimum age is 19 years)

Gravel is the only cycling event where it is not "stated as allowed" ....

Very weird way to do it, IF the idea was to exclude ebikes.

PS - I am the first one to note the issues in the first gravel race with ebikes racing past on the easy bits, then holding up riders on the technical bits .... at least as per the riders feedback.

2 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Not allowed by omission ... at least that is what the rules elude to.  Also the fact that e-bikes were not allowed to do the first gravel event. (thats why I went looking to see if I would be allowed to do the next one)

Rule 5 :

5. E-bikes are only allowed in events with E-Bike categories as stated. (Minimum age is 19 years)

Gravel is the only cycling event where it is not "stated as allowed" ....

Very weird way to do it, IF the idea was to exclude ebikes.

PS - I am the first one to note the issues in the first gravel race with ebikes racing past on the easy bits, then holding up riders on the technical bits .... at least as per the riders feedback.

Most likely an oversight when the gravel race was added, I am not aware of any intentions to exclude gravel bikes (and the portal allows you to enter in the ebike category)

From what I have seen from other gravel races there are relatively few e-bikes entering, I expect it will be the same for Durbie Dash so I don't expect issues. Most likely e-bikes will start a bit behind the normal bikes as to not interfere with the race leaders. 

• 2 weeks later...

When will the route for the gravel race be available?

This is the day before Gravel Monster, so also will need to consider discipline carefully...

3 minutes ago, bleedToWin said:

A 3-sided coin? 😛

I guess rolling a dice would make more sense then 🤣

13 minutes ago, bleedToWin said:

This is the day before Gravel Monster, so also will need to consider discipline carefully...

Sucks a bit yes - Durbie Dash same date as always but obviously first time adding a gravel race (for various reasons no option to move the date). Gravel Monster moved from September and now clashing,  clashing with the road & mtb as well  so not entirely thrilled they went for that date but thats how it goes.

At least Eselfontein moved one week out so I get to go through for that again