Paris Olympic MTB 2024 - ALAN you biscuit!!!

Shebeen

1 minute ago, Shebeen said:

Exactly. even though not all the teams are full (ie. swiss can only take 2 riders) he left it all out there and probably wasn't going to win a 3up sprint if it came to that. there's no shoulda coulda woulda for me, the guys ahead of him were bettter.

I think he was only about 6th or 7th favourite on the betting (TP was strong fav). I figured he was better than that so put some money down.

image.png.1f5222a4b7532256f78d4fb11eba9771.png

I hope you're spending some of those winnings on some flowers for your wife!

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, 'Dale said:

Men’s XCO:

Tom’a mechanic was not quite ready when he arrived. Dropping at least 40 seconds with a tech stop, maintaining composure and clawing his way back to a last lap duel and eventual gold medal - simply remarkable.

Women’s XCO:

Aero booties and overshoes for the French legend. She regularly attacks early and,, yet again, no one could haul her in. Now she wraps up her mountain biking career and, tearfully, turns her pathway to road racing in 2025. 

also. Ineos have now sent three riders to the Olympic MTB from their 'boutique team', all three have won gold.

Just now, Jewbacca said:

I hope you're spending some of those winnings on some flowers for your wife!

i won boggerol. this was for overall only

in an alternate reality VK and TP came together and took each other out, sprawling on the ground. AH comes swinging through to an undeserved gold, but not complaining. 

5 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

also. Ineos have now sent three riders to the Olympic MTB from their 'boutique team', all three have won gold.

3?

who is the third?

tom 2 medals

pauline 1.

35 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

3?

who is the third?

tom 2 medals

pauline 1.

3., one twice

tom21, tom24, pauline24

15 hours ago, 'Dale said:

Men’s XCO:

Tom’s mechanic was not quite ready when he arrived. Dropping at least 40 seconds with a tech stop, maintaining composure and clawing his way back to a last lap duel and eventual gold medal - simply remarkable.

No Swiss on the podium in about 20 years. Apparently the first so-called non-European medal in mountainbiking or something like that.

Women’s XCO:

Aero booties and overshoes for the French legend. She regularly attacks early and, yet again, no one could haul her in. Now she wraps up her mountain biking career and, tearfully, turns her pathway to road racing in 2025. Anna vd Breggen is also returning and should make for even more exciting WWT. 
Candice, as always, gracious and courageous. Her horizon for the sport is looking very promising as she continues to race well. What might have been…

Jenny Rissveds - classy human being as far as I can see. Another medal after prior Olympic success.
Pic: @UCI_MTB

IMG_8519.jpeg

Great analysis and I heard Ross Tucker go into a little more detail saying that, after the puncture, TP joined in a group and sat with them for about a lap rather than push immediately, adrenaline pumping. When he did go it was a few mighty efforts on three climbs that brought him back with the leaders. AH was never going to threaten but did get some use of the "slipstream". The final overtake; Tucker speculates that TP's road experience helped and as TP said in his interview "rubbin is racing" when he dived inside.  RT would have liked to have seen a sprint for the line.

First ever mountain bike Olympic medal for SA, first bicycle medal since the 50's (I think; Sifiso Nlhapo in BMX?). Great stuff.

15 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

People not happy till we have a GOAT. 
I’ll return to the conversation in 4 years time after the LA Olympic Games. For now Alan has down far better than any other South African mountain biker. U23 world champ, first XCC World Cup overall winner, Olympic bronze medalist. Not even Cadel achieved an Olympic podium. 

Cadel has a Tour GC win, 2x 2nd places at the Tour, and world champs RR though.. why is he being brought into the comparison?

14 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

So they sent two riders from their elite pool for three medals…..

just so we clear 

Sounds like a pyramid scheme  😵

47 minutes ago, mazambaan said:

Great analysis and I heard Ross Tucker go into a little more detail saying that, after the puncture, TP joined in a group and sat with them for about a lap rather than push immediately, adrenaline pumping. When he did go it was a few mighty efforts on three climbs that brought him back with the leaders. AH was never going to threaten but did get some use of the "slipstream". The final overtake; Tucker speculates that TP's road experience helped and as TP said in his interview "rubbin is racing" when he dived inside.  RT would have liked to have seen a sprint for the line.

First ever mountain bike Olympic medal for SA, first bicycle medal since the 50's (I think; Sifiso Nlhapo in BMX?). Great stuff.

Nope Sifiso never won any Olympic medals

17 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

People not happy till we have a GOAT. 
I’ll return to the conversation in 4 years time after the LA Olympic Games. For now Alan has down far better than any other South African mountain biker. U23 world champ, first XCC World Cup overall winner, Olympic bronze medalist. Not even Cadel achieved an Olympic podium. 

I think that's certainly debatable. Let's not forget that Burry was also u23 XCO champ, won 2 x World Cups, multiple world cup podiums, a bronze medal at XCO and marathon World Champs, 5th place at the London Olympics(after a terrible start), as well as 2 x Cape Epic wins.

It's incredible that after 10 years we have another rider at that level who will hopefully inspire the new wave of talent much like Burry did for Alan. Long may it last!

12 minutes ago, renayg said:

I think that's certainly debatable. Let's not forget that Burry was also u23 XCO champ, won 2 x World Cups, multiple world cup podiums, a bronze medal at XCO and marathon World Champs, 5th place at the London Olympics(after a terrible start), as well as 2 x Cape Epic wins.

It's incredible that after 10 years we have another rider at that level who will hopefully inspire the new wave of talent much like Burry did for Alan. Long may it last!

I don't think we need to compare Burry with Alan, as they raced in different generations.

but if we really do, then who has the better Argust time? Also no one seems to have remembered that Alan won the esteemed Ebike world champs too.

7 hours ago, mecheng89 said:

Cadel has a Tour GC win, 2x 2nd places at the Tour, and world champs RR though.. why is he being brought into the comparison?

He was the only other southern hemisphere mountain biker other than a South African to have a real shot at earning an Olympic medal in mtb and he has been Mtb World Cup winner in the past. Sam Gaze may also be in the comparison but i think Alans achievements in mtb are higher

28 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

He was the only other southern hemisphere mountain biker other than a South African to have a real shot at earning an Olympic medal in mtb and he has been Mtb World Cup winner in the past. Sam Gaze may also be in the comparison but i think Alans achievements in mtb are higher

I see what you're getting at.

Sam Gaze isn't to be scoffed at. He has a rainbow stripes for the XCC discipline, not to mention a CTCT win 🤣