Lets talk energy gels

There is a probably a topic covering this already, but I'm to lazy to search.

I'm currently using a mix of Farbar and GT Gel by Pace & Power. What I like about GT Gel is that it gets decanted into a small sippy bottle which enables me to take small sips during the ride without having to open and finish a sachet. Its mostly mess free unlike sachets that some how always squirt when you open them and leave a stickiness in your pockets when you put the empty sachet back.

But GT Gel is not the most convenient product to get hold of, AFAIK there is only one shop and that is in Sunninghill, online shopping is available but unless you're buying a bunch of other things its a bit costly just for gel.

So after that long winded explanation, what I'm looking for is an alternative energy gel, something that does not come in a sachet and doesnt need me to take out a personal loan to buy.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Check out the sisu product, apparently quite good, have not used it yet but some other hubbers have.

Very well priced and I like the packaging format in terms of ease of use, particularly on the bike.

I use the 32GI 100g gel, but the opening and closing is difficult whilst riding.

https://sisunutrition.co.za/

I make my own with fructose, maltodextrin, salt, electrolyte tablets and water mixed to a syrup consistency and decanted into hammer gel sippy flasks.

Make big batches and freeze and defrost for use.

Way cheaper.

2 minutes ago, Mamil said:

I make my own with fructose, maltodextrin, salt, electrolyte tablets and water mixed to a syrup consistency and decanted into hammer gel sippy flasks.

Way cheaper.

I want to try making my own gel using only sugar and caffeine tablets.  Please share your recipe? Does the gel not get grainy again?

Edited by W@nted

7 minutes ago, W@nted said:

I want to try making my own gel using only sugar and caffeine tablets.  Please share your recipe?

Not really a recipe - Maltodextrin and fructose in a ratio of 4 to 1 mixed with enough water with 2 biogen electrolyte fizzys dissolved in it to make a syrup consistency. A teaspoon of salt - smash it up in the nutribullet until it's a syrup - let it settle down and then decant and freeze. 

The fructose is extremely sweet and so the 1.08:1 ratio the oft quoted research suggests is way too sweet to me - even 2:1 is too much for me. At 4:1 it's still plenty sweet but gives the same mental boost I've had from the gels and certainly it's getting the carbs in quickly.

Can fuel me for a 4 hour ride but any longer than that and I supplement with real food, maybe a bar or 2.

Sometimes I still use the perpetuem drink from hammer to augment this on really long, 8 hour plus rides.

Edited by Mamil

20 minutes ago, cadenceblur said:

Check out the sisu product, apparently quite good, have not used it yet but some other hubbers have.

Very well priced and I like the packaging format in terms of ease of use, particularly on the bike.

I use the 32GI 100g gel, but the opening and closing is difficult whilst riding.

https://sisunutrition.co.za/

This looks like a nice option. Just struggling to find the nutritional info. Strange for a nutrition brand.

Just now, Frosty said:

They now have flip-lids.

image.png.3b1092abb75aafa083aaad8c47d1333f.png

i've used that one (i think). it's like a bowl of oats reduced to syrup consistency. I'm pretty good at keeping stuff down and it used to have a standard cap that you could screw back on.

i can see people struggling with it though, very thick to digest almost battles to come out the container.

10 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

i've used that one (i think). it's like a bowl of oats reduced to syrup consistency. I'm pretty good at keeping stuff down and it used to have a standard cap that you could screw back on.

i can see people struggling with it though, very thick to digest almost battles to come out the container.

I’ve had that problem, once, where the consistency is thick. 

All other gels (32GI 100g) used have had more of a liquid consistency, so I’m guessing that’s how it should be. An accidental squeeze while holding gel when hitting a small bump on the road, and it’s all over the place, except where it needs to be. Riding road is easier to use the screw cap, but gravel is quite the challenge.

The hammer gel flasks stay closed, bite and pull to open, good flow through nozzle, bottle is slightly squeezable, push back closed, back in pocket. 

40 bucks each on takealot.

10 minutes ago, Mamil said:

The hammer gel flasks stay closed, bite and pull to open, good flow through nozzle, bottle is slightly squeezable, push back closed, back in pocket. 

40 bucks each on takealot.

Also looks like a nice option, thanks

4 hours ago, The Ouzo said:

This looks like a nice option. Just struggling to find the nutritional info. Strange for a nutrition brand.

They are local and based in Somerset West, so get in touch: I'm sure they'll be willing to chat, and get feedback on their product info 

6 hours ago, Mamil said:

Way cheaper.

Where do you buy your maltodextrin and fructose? Been looking around to start myself and so far only seen home brewing websites for maltodextrin