[Event] Cape Hope 500

Gravalist

Exactly the reason I didn't pay money to enter it. Rather just get a couple of mates together and go for a 500km ride.

13 hours ago, Skubarra said:

Depends on how you choose to define "organised event"...

We are also not there to help you in anyway. You take yourself to the start, check in, then the event starts at the allocated local time. We are not there on emails or phone. You are on your own and this is your journey to complete. We are not going to hold your hands, the only way you get the satisfaction of completing it is by doing it yourself. 

Not much more to this than a gpx file and a tracker.

You guys are so flippen negative.

Is it not obvious that this is an anti-event event? Epic costs R60k for all the frills you don't need. Someone takes away all the frills and charges less than the cost of a new set of tyres and people want it for free?

It takes money, skill, effort and TIME to setup a route like this. Do the promos and media and host the tracking (there's my one grip Ray, where is the tracking?!!). This is definitely worth R2k, some people are flippen clueless with maps and routes and a good gpx is worth that.

These events put you together in a race format, for all the people who say you can just go do this by yourself, well then go do just that. I'm superkeen to do one of these, so maybe I'm the target marketed kool aid drinker.

but hey if you want a gpx, here's an excellent one with accom options worked out, mahala

https://bicyclesouth.co.za/2022/08/flora-fauna-merryweather-tour/

19 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

(there's my one grip Ray, where is the tracking?!!)

Pretty sure Rae sold the event to someone else a year or two ago (if memory serves)

21 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

You guys are so flippen negative.

Is it not obvious that this is an anti-event event? Epic costs R60k for all the frills you don't need. Someone takes away all the frills and charges less than the cost of a new set of tyres and people want it for free?

It takes money, skill, effort and TIME to setup a route like this. Do the promos and media and host the tracking (there's my one grip Ray, where is the tracking?!!). This is definitely worth R2k, some people are flippen clueless with maps and routes and a good gpx is worth that.

These events put you together in a race format, for all the people who say you can just go do this by yourself, well then go do just that. I'm superkeen to do one of these, so maybe I'm the target marketed kool aid drinker.

but hey if you want a gpx, here's an excellent one with accom options worked out, mahala

https://bicyclesouth.co.za/2022/08/flora-fauna-merryweather-tour/

What's an anti event event?

So the 2k is for the effort of working out a route and distributing it on a GPX?

Don't think I'm negative, just puzzled as to what's being paid for here. 

There's no backup, no tracking, no refreshments, just a route that my guess is not too different from the training rides north and Northwest of Cape town that lots of us do out to Riebeek, moreesburg. Hopefiend, darling etc.

Well there is some tracking - https://racemap.com/player/cape-hope-500. And presumably some sort of backup. The route looks interesting enough - apart from the fact that you get back to Cape Town at about 350kms done, only to be sent to the blockhouse and silvermine and signal hill before finally being allowed to finish at 470/480kms!

8 hours ago, Shebeen said:

I can't help but notice that the skilled route mappers are using private farm roads near the Durbanville area on which local cyclists are not allowed to cycle on (do you think its safe to assume they negotiated access from the landowners?) 

Lets hope they don't stuff it up for the normal events and mtb clubs that go through months of negotiations to have access to those routes. 

11 hours ago, MongooseMan said:

Pretty sure Rae sold the event to someone else a year or two ago (if memory serves)

Was not aware of that

14 hours ago, Shebeen said:

but hey if you want a gpx, here's an excellent one with accom options ....

THAT would be thee most valauble part of such a package.

We have done many solo trips over the last 35 years.  Routes are the easier bit.

Accommodation .... found some gems by doing it unplanned.  But also had a few stresful moments getting sorted for the night.

Cycling .... solo ride .... I dont see the need for an event, or non-event.

Where I gladly start paying is for an event that takes me on a scenic tour over routes which are otherwise closed to the public.

3 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Cycling .... solo ride .... I dont see the need for an event, or non-event.

Where I gladly start paying is for an event that takes me on a scenic tour over routes which are otherwise closed to the public.

Let the truth be spoken.

16 hours ago, hunterza said:

Well there is some tracking - https://racemap.com/player/cape-hope-500. And presumably some sort of backup. The route looks interesting enough - apart from the fact that you get back to Cape Town at about 350kms done, only to be sent to the blockhouse and silvermine and signal hill before finally being allowed to finish at 470/480kms!

shot for finding tracking page.

so just the four people, and looks like Lance only left at midnight anyway! the loop through cape town is a bit odd, some potential issues with silvermine at night/after gate hours.

7 hours ago, Shebeen said:

shot for finding tracking page.

so just the four people, and looks like Lance only left at midnight anyway! the loop through cape town is a bit odd, some potential issues with silvermine at night/after gate hours.

Having seen the route I can now safely say I am in the "negative" camp w.r.t. this event. The route is peculiar -riding in tmnp requires an activity permit, is that organised? 

I would not like to ride the section back in to Durbanville at night / early hours of morning without support/ protection.

There is nicer and safer gravel riding past Malmesbury out to moreesburg, hopefield and can still return via Tulbagh and Wellington.

Each to their own of course but I think I'm now anti this anti event.