Newbie looking for advice regarding best buy within budget

Mel_5

Ok, so I will do you a solid @Mel_5, I also suspect that @Alouette3 will be keen to have what I am about to offer if he hasn't gotten one just yet: 

Frame: Felt (26er) dual sus with carbon rear stay and Fox float shock (which I will have serviced)

Fork: Rockshox Reba thru axle which I had serviced for a build - thought it was a 650B fork

Wheels - will be new Mavic rims (Which I have to send away to have built with new nipples and spokes - I do have stock elsewhere)

Groupset - I'm thinking 3x10 XX1 

Tires - This will not be tubeless as this will destroy the budget

Crank will be an SLX

Price - R5k

I am deliberately posting it in this chat so that there can be some comments and if everyone think that this build will be better than the links already shared 

Regards

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some good options there

@RobertWhitehead if you want to go all in with something full suspension from the start

or @Jensie is also a nice simple hardtail, with half decent brakes and good looking general condition if you want to try things out. Will hold the value and could always sell it for the same if you decide to go all in with the sport / hobby

@RobertWhitehead I managed to get a good deal on a well specced Silverback which I did a nice rebuild upgrade on

Edited by Alouette3

1 hour ago, Jensie said:

I have this bike up for sale. Bought it for my Kid but she is not riding anymore. Bike is just sitting in bike room.

27.5" Size Small
Wheels is running very smooth
Tyres is basically brand new
Tubeless and new sealant has been added.
3x9 Speed Altus shifter and Deore derailleur

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/hardtail-mountain-bikes/747065/scott-contessa-275-s

EXCELLENT deal, and leaves a bit for a helmet and padded pants.

On 10/3/2024 at 5:51 PM, ChrisF said:

Shops ... sadly some shops dont play nicely ....  I learnt this the expensive way when the owner of a shop in Paarl sold me a new bike that was too small for me .....

Pretty sure some of the upcountry Hubbers will be around quickly to direct you to GOOD shops in your area.  I do know that Potchefstroom has an excellent shop - but probably a long drive for you - @SilverRider

Robert is a gem of this sport.  He actually has a full time job away from cycling, but he is forever building bikes and helping out people.  

Goodness me! That's awful @ChrisF, I'm so sorry. Unfortunately not everyone has moral values or perhaps he/she was just purely ignorant.

Okay, lovely, thank you. Yeah, Potchefstroom is quite a far drive from me unfortunately.

Oh wow! That's really so awesome of him! A true lover of the sport no doubt.

On 10/3/2024 at 6:51 PM, Breezy92 said:

I think it's sold Mel but there are a few options just use your filters to select 26-27.5

What type of riding are u looking at doing ??

Ahh, okay, @Breezy92. Thanks so much anyways, I'll take a look.

I'm probably going to ride quite a bit on sand/dirt roads in the Fynbos near me here, and my boyfriend loves to ride from Jan Smuts to Delta Park riding thought the park and back, and I would eventually like to build up my strength and stamina enough so that I can join him.

12 hours ago, Spinnekop said:

To clarify then.
Bike fit = let the bikeshop size you up.  For free.  To figure out before hand what the correct size is.
At 1.6m Mel will either be small or XS depending on inseam. 
Helmet you can organise somewhere something.  By law you'll have to ride with one.
I wont bother with cleats at this stage.  First try to figure out if you are going to stick with the sport and if this will become your passion.  For now, just go ride.  Flat pedals.  Whatever is on the bike.
So no.  You can get away cheap if you want.

But get the size right and then go buy a bike.  I think that was the advice.

Thank you @Spinnekop.

I will definitely get a helmet for my own safety. As to whether it will become my passion- my passion is actually weightlifting, but really I do enjoy riding with my BF and it's important to him, so I'll definitely be doing it long term.

You are right though, I'd just love to have my own bike and get started with building up my cycle fitness.

11 hours ago, Alouette3 said:

Just been through the search for a Small frame MTB for my wife recently.

I'd suggest if looking at a Small frame, look at 27.5 over 29 inch wheel, make sure you test ride it first. We had a small frame 29 before and the wheel size was too large design of the bike, if you turned too tightly the front wheel would touch the tip of your toes! Just something to keep in mind. It wasn't serious, or a problem most of the the time, but did irritate my wife and affect confidence. (Nothing wrong with a 26 inch bike)

Bonus things to look for:

• Air fork (smoother action and lighter weight)
  • 10 Speed or more on the rear cassette (makes upgrading easier and cheaper long term if you want to go with 1 ring up front one day, Shimano make nice cheap 11-46T cassettes)

(I actually considered the Giant that MORNE posted above. The Silverback also looks nice if you can stretch the budget, or get a discount, but do check the front wheel clearance on the 29 Silverback)

Thanks so much @Alouette3, I really appreciate the advice. Especially about the 29" wheels on a small frame, I would never have known that.

Thanks for the bonus tips, super grateful.

Yes, I'd say I like the Giant the most as I have been put off a little bit from 29" wheels on a small frame based on your wife's experience.

10 hours ago, RobertWhitehead said:

Ok, so I will do you a solid @Mel_5, I also suspect that @Alouette3 will be keen to have what I am about to offer if he hasn't gotten one just yet: 

Frame: Felt (26er) dual sus with carbon rear stay and Fox float shock (which I will have serviced)

Fork: Rockshox Reba thru axle which I had serviced for a build - thought it was a 650B fork

Wheels - will be new Mavic rims (Which I have to send away to have built with new nipples and spokes - I do have stock elsewhere)

Groupset - I'm thinking 3x10 XX1 

Tires - This will not be tubeless as this will destroy the budget

Crank will be an SLX

Price - R5k

I am deliberately posting it in this chat so that there can be some comments and if everyone think that this build will be better than the links already shared 

Regards

Wow! That's mighty kind of you @RobertWhitehead! This is so awesome!

I don't know much about bikes as we've established, but this sounds like a pretty sweet deal.

Are 26" tires better than 27,5" for a small frame?

Is tubeless a big deal? How much extra would they cost?

Fair enough, that shows you're quite confident in this build. I really appreciate it.

8 hours ago, Jensie said:

I have this bike up for sale. Bought it for my Kid but she is not riding anymore. Bike is just sitting in bike room.

27.5" Size Small

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/hardtail-mountain-bikes/747065/scott-contessa-275-s

Awesome, thanks so much @Jensiefor sending me the link, I'm definitely going to consider it.

8 hours ago, Jensie said:

27.5" Size Small

@RobertWhitehead How does this compare with the one you'd like to build for me? Apologies if it's a stupid question, I'm just totally ignorant about bike parts and which are better/not so great. 🙏 

8 hours ago, Alouette3 said:

Some good options there

@RobertWhitehead if you want to go all in with something full suspension from the start

or @Jensie is also a nice simple hardtail, with half decent brakes and good looking general condition if you want to try things out. Will hold the value and could always sell it for the same if you decide to go all in with the sport / hobby

@RobertWhitehead I managed to get a good deal on a well specced Silverback which I did a nice rebuild upgrade on

Awesome @Alouette3, thank you so much for the advice.

Glad you found something awesome for your wife!

1 hour ago, DieselnDust said:

I have a set of Shimano SPD pedals due to come back to me. I’m not using them. Will donate to @Mel_5 gratis /free/ Malala if she’s willing to pay postnet postage.

Wow @DieselnDust! That's so kind of you! Thank you so much! I'd absolutely love them if you're sure you won't be using/needing them in future. I'd be more than happy to pay for postage. 

7 hours ago, ChrisF said:

EXCELLENT deal, and leaves a bit for a helmet and padded pants.

Are padded pants necessary?