Mountain bike suggestion for heavy weight

Coldphir3

I’m in the market for a mountain bike and am a complete newbie. I’ve done some research and have come up with a few ideas of what bikes I’d like. So far, I’ve looked into the Trek Fuel EX 7 Gen 6 and the Specialized Stumpjumper Alloy. I’m open to other recommendations if there’s something better suited to my needs.

Here’s some context:

• Weight: 140kg, Height: 172cm.
  • Primary uses: Trail riding, commuting on pavement, off-road adventures.
  • Requirements: A bike that will hold up well for my weight.
  • Preference: Leaning toward full suspension for extra comfort on trails, though I'm not sure if this would work well for my weight. I’m open to a very sturdy hardtail if that would be a better option for durability.
  • Budget: Sub R40,000.

I have also looked at Titan racing brand but I couldn't find anything as far as reviews are concerned.

Given my weight and intended use, would the Trek Fuel EX 7 Gen 6 or Specialized Stumpjumper Alloy be a solid choice, or are there other models or brands I should consider in this price range?

Thanks in advance for your input!

I'm not too far off on weight and am pretty hard on my bike. There are a few things I've found to really matter over the last decade or so of riding 

Fork: 32mm quick release forks are too flexy, minimum 35mm thru axle (check out the stanction width) something like a rockshox pike/lyric/Zeb is strong

Frame: I found light cross country bikes too flexy for me, there might be stiffer ones, but in general 

Wheels, specifically the rims, light cross country rims folded, something nice and strong, especially with larger wheels (Stan's flow are my go to) 

Shock: being able to turn up the damping is important, the base tune is for the average rider

I'm on a giant reign 27.5 now, nice and strong, if I try out a friend trail bike I can feel the flex straight away 

At your weight - respectfully - and as a complete newbie/novice, i think you could CONSIDER a pedal-assist eBike…

1 . would be easier to STICK with getting some mild pedal-assist, especially say in 1st 12 months…

2. You can minimise assist as fitness improves, or as weight reduces - IF that is a goal of yours…

3. less chance of ‘chucking in the towel’ with combo of pedal assist AND your own power…

4. easier on the joints, especially starting out…

5. you CAN get a modest eBike for this price; i own one, etc.

just some lateral thinking for you.

good luck

Chris

20241012_091141.jpeg