Cyclist of the year

Brutal

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

thx goodness Grapkas - want jy weet, as jy gaan dan gaan die thread virander in 12-14bladsyeLOLWink

Ek moet se my keuse vir Mtb Woman of the Year was SPotOn!!!Clap That girl can trap a bike!

I'm not even going to start comenting on the winner of the ladies category!

aah, please Grapkas Wink

That alone should make for a good criteria! Ridiculously difficult conditions' date=' it's not a road race where everyone rides together until the end, we want to suffer, we need to suffer, we enjoy the suffering. That's the whole point, to cross the bloody line must be an achievement! Otherwise what's the point. (To quote Marvin).[/quote']

Now we are not all as psycho as you or the other 24 hour freaks, but I understand your point.  I was trying to explain to my wife last night that the local road races are not that appealing but events like Ironman, Cape Epic, Paris-Brest-Paris are very appealing.  She couldn't understand why I would want to get to the start of an event not sure if I was capable of finishing.

Exactly anyone can finish the easy events, there is no real challenge, the other events you mentioned are all easily dooable it's just more of a challenge to do them.

I know that DG did well at World and RH did the TDF' date=' albeit being on a "Cheater" team but what did they do locally for the SA Cycling scene? I personally would of voted Malcolm Lange as Cyclist of the eyar as he has ripped everything apart locally and won more than others while still putting on a happy face infront of the cameras.  

[/quote']

ja not only the commonwealth medal in SA colours, but he lead our national team to his TdF win, a first for any national team at the Tour.......

these guys overseas raise the bar for young SA riders, they show we can get results, malcom's just shown he can beat locals at a local race each weekend - we don't need another malcom lange winning 300 odd pick n pay races, we need another rider to get him self on a PT team and get a big win in Europe.....

Guest colonel

Win is a win, anywhere you get it, here or in Europe or where ever. Just cause they went over it makes them no better than Malcom, he just chose to stay here and race and he has made a huge success of it and has had a job every year. My opinion.

Fair another, a win is a win. But a win in Europe is not the same as a win in SA. So would you say to win the Paris-Roubaix is the same as to winning 94.7??Wacko

Guest colonel

Maybe to some people it is. You we can all argue here but Malcom has made a very good living for himself and his family and not gone over to Europe and followed the Drug culture that is in European cycling. And please dont tell me they all clean cause I will shoot myself.

Fair another' date=' a win is a win. But a win in Europe is not the same as a win in SA. So would you say to win the Paris-Roubaix is the same as to winning 94.7??Wacko[/quote']

Hell (of the north) no!  They're poles apart!

To win Paris-Roubaix you've only got to beat around 200 other guys.  To win the 94.7 you've got to beat around 20,000 other guys.

The ladies winner...... Mmmmm was very disappointing to hear her ONLY speaking Afrikaans last night again. She gets interviewed by world class hosts who does not speak Afrikaans but she response back only in Afrikaans. <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

According to me that is an ultimate no no and very unprofessional.

Is that the same girl who came second in 94.7?

Also only spoke Afrikaans in interview after 94.7 but my gripe is it was interspersed with English!Words like attack,bunch,jump etc formed part of her vocabulary.She must decide that if she wants to make a statement by speaking Afrikaans only at least do it in style!!

But ultimately agree,she could have made an effort being interviewed at that level.