Cyclist of the year

Brutal

Tube: Ons praat nie meer die ouderwetse boring Afrikaans soos in die jare toet nie. Ons mix ons tales en geniet die vryheid wat ons taal ons bied. Afrikaans hoef nie terug te staan vir enige ander taal nie.

TCG: (ek sal hierdie seker nou in engels moet doen) I have no doubt that she can understand and speak English, but some people really do not feel comfortable doing an interview in another language and they struggle and stumble over every second word if they are forced to do it. 

To all the people moaning about her speaking Afrikaans...here's the other side:

Say you are and have always been an English South African...sure you get in touch with Afrikaans people daily (yes - it goes both ways!). Have you gone through the trouble to try to understand Afrikaans?

Okay, if you have, but don't feel confident speaking the  language...and you are asked to do a TV interview for a Afrikaans channel.

Will you

a) try to speak Afrikaans or

b) just do it in english anyway because "everyone is supposed to understand it?"  

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dis te verstane as jyn onderhoud doen met iemand wat n Suid Afrikaaners is maar vrek have a heart vir die w?reld se beste komentators wat regte belang stel in haar as ryers en meer wil weet maar niks kan verstaan nie want hulle word geantwoord in Afrikaans. Verstaan my mooi.... ek glo vas en hou vas aan my Afrikaans. Maar soms moet n mens bietjie tong in die kies die taal gebruik wat internationale persone kan verstaan.

Nellie - I understand your frustration and agree it is difficult to let go of your mother tongue when it seems English is taking over.  Much like the Americanisation of everything.  However, your example is a bad one as speaking in English on an Afrikaans channel to a presenter that understands and converses regularly in English is quite different from answering questions in Afrikaans when the person does not understand the language at all.  Your example is a case of convenience, Cyclemania's point (and I agree with his opinion) is that Marissa's case was just rude.

Linnega...i was just putting it the other way around to let English people think a bit - nothing personal, but i sometimes get the idea that a lot of English people will never go through any trouble to try to accomodate people who find it difficult to communicate in their 2nd or even 3rd language. Why should others always have to go through trouble if they do not even attempt to return the favour? It would be great if everyone would just get out of their little bubbles and reach out more! (...i feel the same in the case of deaf people - we can all try to make life a little easier for them by learning a bit of sign language!) Learn a new language that is commonly used - you may even find it fun!!!Thumbs%20Up

Listen...i love languages in general and i'm as fond of English as i am of Afrikaans. I will fight for both, but in this case my scales tip towards the people who have the same mother tongue as i have. Maybe Marissa was a bit wrong and probably small minded, but so are all the other people who only complain even though they can not even understand more than one language. Well, that's just my opinion

Interesting to see that Yolandi conversed in English; although I am sure she would have loved to speak in Afrikaans ... Robbie Hunter; Ronel van Wyk to mention a few has no issue answering in the language the question was posed ..ppp

Valid question on the hub is surely if Marissa travels Europe ... she aint talking Afrikaans to people in Europe? Agree also with other hubbers; yes it is her right to talk/answer in a language of her choice; but have respect for Phil Liggett and company ...

Thanks KlapperKnop, (sorry guys, didn't know it was Phil who did the interview) In that case...yes! Marissa was definitely wrong! 

He's one of the (if not THE) best commentators and can speak (if i'm not mistaken?) quite a few languages, but obviously he can't learn every single language that all the different people speak. So sorry guys, my wrong...but my earlier comments still apply to people who live in SA!

Eissssh guys' date=' we have a new (12th) official language: Broken English

You mos know!

casspir
[/quote']

LOLLOLLOL

well in that case let me add number 13...

Hub-english (of which Marius is undoubtedly the best exampleWinkLOL)

Nellie, my fout dat ek uitgelaat het die onderhoud was gedoen deur Phil en Paul. Ek het regtig geen probleem dat Marissa Afrikaans praat nie en dit is goed dat sy dit doen maar het net gevoel sy kon darem probeer vir Phil en Paul se onthalwe. Op laas jaar se awards was Paul so afgesit nadat sy Afrikaans gepraat het dat hy swahili met haar gepraat het. Op die jaar se 94.7 het die selfde gedoen...... toe hulle haar die jaar roep vir haar award het Phil sarkastiese gese "kom ons kyk of sy die keer gaan probeer engels praat". Wat doen sy...... praat Afrikaans. Kyk ek het geen twyfel dat sy n fiets ongelooflik goed kan ry nie, maar om so profesioneel as moontlik te wees moet jy soms dinge doen waarmee jy nie altyd gemaklik is nie.

Oh en ook....... ek werk saam net souties en weet jy nie een van hulle kan Afrikaans praat nie en nie een sal my uitlag as ek swak engels praat nie want hulle weet ek probeer darem.En dis meer as wat hulle kan se......

Guest colonel
Afrikaans is a dying language

Jammer' date=' kan nie hier saamstem nie!!! Afrikaans is eintlik besig om weer lewe te kry met al die nuwe SA kunstenaars, sang groepe en alledaagse mense wat trots is daarop. Marissa:ClapClap Dankie!

Dis meestal die engelse mense wat gewoonlik hieroor kla omdat hulle gewoonlik net een taal magtig is (stry!!). Ek bedoel...hoeveel keer hoor ons hier op die Hub. "uhm...translate please" of "why is everything always in afrikaans?" nuusflits - dit is eintlik baie selde dat ons iets in afrikaans kry. En ons afrikaanse mense kla nie daaroor as meeste goed in die land in engels gedoen word nie, maar die oomblik wat ons onsself in ons moedertaal wil uitdruk word daar gemoun dat ons dit anders moes doen.

VIVA AFRIKAANS!!!
[/quote']

E-N-G-L-I-S-H- PLEASE!!!

colonel, Nellie is saying you are full of crapLOL stir stir . .. maar klink beter in Afrikaans, jy's vol K@K!LOLWink 

[quote=

Valid question on the hub is surely if Marissa travels Europe ... she aint talking Afrikaans to people in Europe?

It was fine what she did on Weds. night - she looked great and excited and everyone laughed in a good way, inc. Phil and Paul.

In Belgium she'll be well understood - I've seen a Walloon and a Afrokaaner meet for the 1st time and find they're speaking the same language.   Holland should be fine too - they cycle in Holland don't they?

Otherwise, no, you can't easily be international with a minority language.

Thyolo,  some felmish and dutch speaking people you will find very hard to understand what they are sayng even if you can speak afrikaans.

English and 2yrs of German is about it for me - and I can find my way round a menu in portuguese - so I'd struggle most places.

Of course British people speak foreign by using our own language slower and louder with arm movements and by adding "o" to the ends of words when in Europe and "e" when in Africa.

Seems to work.

Originally posted by nellie

Originally posted by colonel

Afrikaans is a dying language

Jammer, kan nie hier saamstem nie!!! Afrikaans is eintlik besig om weer lewe te kry met al die nuwe SA kunstenaars, sang groepe en alledaagse mense wat trots is daarop. Marissa:ClapClap Dankie!

Dis meestal die engelse mense wat gewoonlik hieroor kla omdat hulle gewoonlik net een taal magtig is (stry!!). Ek bedoel...hoeveel keer hoor ons hier op die Hub. "uhm...translate please" of "why is everything always in afrikaans?" nuusflits - dit is eintlik baie selde dat ons iets in afrikaans kry. En ons afrikaanse mense kla nie daaroor as meeste goed in die land in engels gedoen word nie, maar die oomblik wat ons onsself in ons moedertaal wil uitdruk word daar gemoun dat ons dit anders moes doen.

VIVA AFRIKAANS!!!

E-N-G-L-I-S-H- PLEASE!!!

AG K@K MAN HOE KAN DIT 'N "DYING LANGUAGE" WEES AS EK NOG DIT PRAAT..... DREAM ON......!!!!!!!!!

http://skins.hotbar.com/skins/mailskins/img/Aliens/Aliens_Going_my_way_prv.gifALLES IS HUNKY DORY!!!  ............. LEER AFRIKAANS MY OU.