Song of the day, add your current favourite....

SwissVan

i would say it is comprehensive for sure - but the connections are just odd. I reckon someone just got a list of artists..put them in some sort of chronological order from left to right and then randomly drew lines between them...sometimes adding a squiggle

Basically he said its crap, just all names and no reason or rhyme, and missing people and duplicates where the same person started several things... 

• Replies 11k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i would say it is comprehensive for sure - but the connections are just odd. I reckon someone just got a list of artists..put them in some sort of chronological order from left to right and then randomly drew lines between them...sometimes adding a squiggle

Some things have a correlation like Siouxsie, Adam Ant, Sex Pistols and Pil. Also Joy Division and New Order. I think the only reason they lumped Stone Roses, Oasis etc. with  The Smiths is the Manchester connection cos there is nothing else.    

The ska type bands (for want of a better word to describe them cos I don't know any other) are kind of together such The Specials, The Beat, Madness etc.

Happy Mondays and Joy Division the only correlation is Tony Wilson

Others are totally random.

Edited by Red Robin

yes...I mean..the charlatans - half man half biscuit - the wedding present - nick cave and the birthday party are all on one line???

i get the birthday party and nick cave.....cos its ...well ...nick cave....but why the wedding present? and then half man half biscuit???

and then John Peel??? I like that they chose to incorporate him..but he promoted influential bands as opposed to influencing music...and if they gonna included john peel and not include the fall ...then something is amiss

Don't see The Police there. Or did I miss them?

Edit: Or would they for some reason not belong?

Edited by Blokman

Don't see The Police there. Or did I miss them?

Edit: Or would they for some reason not belong?

Perhaps they were considered too 'mainstream' and not really alternative by whoever drew this up?

yes...I mean..the charlatans - half man half biscuit - the wedding present - nick cave and the birthday party are all on one line???

i get the birthday party and nick cave.....cos its ...well ...nick cave....but why the wedding present? and then half man half biscuit???

and then John Peel??? I like that they chose to incorporate him..but he promoted influential bands as opposed to influencing music...and if they gonna included john peel and not include the fall ...then something is amiss

Yes, some weird anomalies. Still it has been fun to look at and see some bands I had forgotten all about.

Perhaps they were considered too 'mainstream' and not really alternative by whoever drew this up?

My thought also, but others like OMD and The Bangles were mainstream in my mind at least. Also maybe Blondie and The Pretenders as they became popular. But many bands on there that I know nothing or little about.

My thought also, but others like OMD and The Bangles were mainstream in my mind at least. Also maybe Blondie and The Pretenders as they became popular. But many bands on there that I know nothing or little about.

I noticed a lot of those type bands did not make it on the list - the police, men at work, Midnight Oil

thinking of those last two..the aussies got a real raw deal  - the church, the triffids, crowded house also did not make the list...only the Go-Betweens who released a majority of their albums while in the UK

In honour of the 2016 Nobel prize Winner for Literature

Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free,
Silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands,
With all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves,
Let me forget about today until tomorrow.

In honour of the 2016 Nobel prize Winner for Literature

Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free,
Silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands,
With all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves,
Let me forget about today until tomorrow.

I was amazed and thrilled, pretty much how I felt when I first heard Dylan.

I was amazed and thrilled, pretty much how I felt when I first heard Dylan.

I think it is awesome...as now millions and millions around the world are now taking a fresh look at his lyrics (myself included) and realising or being reminded again what an exceptional poet he was.

just take that extract i posted above....mention Mr Tambourine man and 99% of people will sing:

"Hey, Mr. Tambourine Man, play a song for me

I'm not sleepy and there ain't no place I'm going to
Hey, Mr. Tambourine Man, play a song for me
In the jingle jangle morning I'll come following you"

yet the verse that follows in its entirety....

Take me disappearing through the smoke rings of my mind
Down the foggy ruins of time
Far past the frozen leaves
The haunted frightened trees
Out to the windy bench
Far from the twisted reach of crazy sorrow
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free
Silhouetted by the sea
Circled by the circus sands
With all memory and fate
Driven deep beneath the waves