Song of the day, add your current favourite....

SwissVan

was having a discussion the other day about early hip hop and Run DMC. I did not realise they played Live Aid, but they played early straight after Ozzy Osbourne. The balls on these lads to come up in front of a massive crowd expecting rock and pop and drop a rap/hip-hop set at a time where it was not evenly remotely mainstream , but very underground ...and they kicked it..hard!

“As it’s plain to see,” DMC explained to an audience of tens of thousands in 1985, “we have no band, just Jam Master Jay.”

Broadcast to a potential audience of nearly two billion people the world over, Run-D.M.C.’s performance at the 1985 Live Aid concerts was probably hip-hop’s most-witnessed seven minutes in the years before the genre had a single platinum record.

“For us it was a lot of pressure ’cause [concert promoter] Bill Graham personally requested that we be there,” DMC told Rolling Stone in 2016. “At first, from what I hear, when Bill Graham brought our names up, people was like, ‘What? Why would you want them here? They’re not even gonna be around in three or four years.’ But Bill Graham — rest in peace — personally said, “I will not participate if you don’t have Run-D.M.C. here.”

Although they were America’s most famous rap group at the time, they were still an anomaly on bill off mostly rock bands, including Mick Jagger teaming with Tina Turner, a reunion of Led Zeppelin, Bob Dylan, Eric Clapton, Neil Young, Duran Duran and more playing to an estimated 100,000 people at Philadelphia’s JFK Stadium. Their set was around 10:12 a.m., playing between a reunited Black Sabbath and Rick Springfield. DMC reckons that 70 percent of the crowd was into the still-emerging music, while 30 percent responded with boos

“We reluctantly went [to Live Aid] ’cause we kinda thought it was like a setup,” said DMC. “Y’all settin’ us up so we can get mocked and teased. We got there, and then the only thing that we knew was that old block party confidence. … You know, when they say our names, let’s just go out there and do what we do. When you hear the boos, you got two options: You either keep going or you curse the crowd off and walk off stage. We decided to keep going.”

• Replies 11k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The live recording it not the best. If you can find the studio version, give this a spin again. Great story, a sad story.

I think I even know the steel door he refers to in Woodstock.

Edit: 

There used to be gand/drug den on the lower main road with a solid metal door painted maroon in colour. You always knew when you went past on a bicycle that this was a terible place to be. One morning early riding to Rhodes Mem to meet the other riders on the SSM things just did not feel right and then there were helicopters and police suddenly everywhere .... I did not seen anymore as I was on my way already, but that night on the news they showed the polce raiding this place.
Edited by Hairy

It feels like I have missed out not listening to Piet Botha. It is also sad that he passed away last year after a fight with cancer.

https://youtu.be/Hhd9OVMEVgw?list=PLf3LkDvS4ns-tY2H2Cx8-wdEj4bXQLasj

Die kind

Willie maak nog net daai oproep
Want jou moeder wil weet
Waar slaap jy vanaand
Dit was alles eintlik so onnodig
Maar wat kan 'n mens nou eintlik se
Ja die kind gaan nou alleeen
In die wye wereld in
Kinders op elke straat
Kinders van die reen
Daar is niks meer om te se nie
Dit maak nie veel meer saak nie
Winter of Somer
Die kind is altyd alleen
Op skool was sy almal se liefling
Ons liewe Elmien
So belowend maar altyd 'n bietjie anders
Sy werk nou die nagskof
Vir die wyse manne van die Ooste
En hulle ryk bedorwe seuntjies
Elke kind het sy eie seer hart
Glimlag, liefde pyn en nog wat
En solank die oë nog lag is die kind seker okay.

It feels like I have missed out not listening to Piet Botha. It is also sad that he passed away last year after a fight with cancer.

https://youtu.be/Hhd9OVMEVgw?list=PLf3LkDvS4ns-tY2H2Cx8-wdEj4bXQLasj

Die kind

Willie maak nog net daai oproep

Want jou moeder wil weet

Waar slaap jy vanaand

Dit was alles eintlik so onnodig

Maar wat kan 'n mens nou eintlik se

Ja die kind gaan nou alleeen

In die wye wereld in

Kinders op elke straat

Kinders van die reen

Daar is niks meer om te se nie

Dit maak nie veel meer saak nie

Winter of Somer

Die kind is altyd alleen

Op skool was sy almal se liefling

Ons liewe Elmien

So belowend maar altyd 'n bietjie anders

Sy werk nou die nagskof

Vir die wyse manne van die Ooste

En hulle ryk bedorwe seuntjies

Elke kind het sy eie seer hart

Glimlag, liefde pyn en nog wat

En solank die oë nog lag is die kind seker okay.

Piet Botha was the man, I attended many of his shows, shared a drink and some conversation with him at a show he did here long time ago. He was down to earth, a true rocker of old that stayed the course!

One of the few South Africans that released albums which could be listened to from track one till the last one!

I am sure this was posted before, but well worth posting again

EDIT:

In jou gesig is 'n sterrestelsel
Ek is 'n kind wat na die sterre kyk
As jy jou hande deur my hare vryf
In die donker
Voel ek weerloos
Voel ek weer klein
As die storm weer begin sanik
Die berg brand
En die boom omwaai
En die vlamme aan my gordyne lek