The Muxmans stupid question page

The Saint

Ok I have decided I have so many dumb @ss questions I will rather create my own little section.

2 questions to start off with.

As with my post about rims, everyone was really informative and thanks for that, I would now like to know why would you not want to use deep cut rims on a mountain stage.

Then I found this picture - Where the hell does this thing go on your bike and what is it used for?

20061222_113638_BB1.jpg

I believe it is called a BB as opposed to what I thought a BB was.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Botom Bracket if I am not wrong.  That thing connects you pedals to each other if I am not wrong.  Looks kinda odd though...  Maybe not a BB.  Do you have a product name?

Hehe,

It looks like a Shimano hollowtech bb and as Cois says it connects the pedals together.

Yes Cois it is an Ultegra 10 Sp BB. I got the picture off the CWC website. Hope I could do that if I could thanks CWC for the pic, if I couldn't apologies, I will gladly send you a picture I have taken of something to recipricate for any infringements I may have cuased.

Naaa the guys were talking earlier on about a wide BB and cross chaining and I had no idea what they were talking about. My idea of a BB was a BB gun. I could understand why you would want to mount something like this on your bike, especially when riding alone but it is just not practicle. Personally I prefer to carry a 9mm in my cycling shirt.LOL

20061222_122202_bb.jpg

Pepperspry will do for me.  Then I can crush the blokes face in with my Deodora shoes, and feel the pain I am causing him.

Hehe' date='

It looks like a Shimano hollowtech bb and as Cois says it connects the pedals together.[/quote']

sh*te u bunch of a bunch of desckjocksWink Fail....

It connects the Crank arms AND frame together not the pedals, while providing a means of low friction (as in bearings) rotation . If the pedals were connected together cycling would not be so easy.....

just splitting hairs...Embarrassed

Naaa the guys were talking earlier on about a wide BB and cross chaining and I had no idea what they were talking about. My idea of a BB was a BB gun. I could understand why you would want to mount something like this on your bike' date=' especially when riding alone but it is just not practicle. Personally I prefer to carry a 9mm in my cycling shirt.LOL

20061222_122202_bb.jpg
[/quote']

Chain line explained visually,

the front purple thingies represent your front sprockets (chain rings, 3 on a mtb and normaly 2 on a road ding).

Black stripe your chain (aka chain line)

The red n green cup lying on its side represents your back sprockets (cluster) - the red ones are where you could get that girrr noise chain rub ride with the chain on the big chain ring and largest sprocket at the back, or on the smallest chain ring and the smallest sprocket at the back - clear as mudd Ying%20Yang.

http://www.machinehead-software.co.uk/bike/images/gearing_diagram.gif

BTW Nice 9mm WERE CAN I GET ONE..

muxman, the newer BB have the bearings placed o n the outside. it's supposed to be stiffer.

the placement of the bearings on the outside makes the BB look strange...

Hehe' date='

It looks like a Shimano hollowtech bb and as Cois says it connects the pedals together.[/quote']

sh*te u bunch of a bunch of desckjocksWink Fail....

It connects the Crank arms AND frame together not the pedals, while providing a means of low friction (as in bearings) rotation . If the pedals were connected together cycling would not be so easy.....

just splitting hairs...Embarrassed

Ag oom Swiss.  Cois had so little sleep in the past few days, he cant even write in the first person anymore, but you are right.  It connects the crank arms which in time connects to the pedals, which connects to the cleat, which connects to the sole of shoes, which gets fitted to the foot, which in turn is connected to the leg and on and on I can go all night long...

Ag oom Swiss.  Cois had so little sleep in the past few days, he cant even write in the first person anymore, but you are right.  It connects the crank arms which in time connects to the pedals, which connects to the cleat, which connects to the sole of shoes, which gets fitted to the foot, which in turn is connected to the leg and on and on I can go all night long...

Wheee!!! and one day we will get to the brain.

And ita Mr OOM to you litie...Tongue

Muxman, dont worry when i started cycling i thought BB stood for ball bearings. **** , they must be special ball bearings to cost so much.

Naaa the guys were talking earlier on about a wide BB and cross chaining and I had no idea what they were talking about. My idea of a BB was a BB gun. I could understand why you would want to mount something like this on your bike' date=' especially when riding alone but it is just not practicle. Personally I prefer to carry a 9mm in my cycling shirt.LOL

20061222_122202_bb.jpg
[/quote']

Chain line explained visually,

the front purple thingies represent your front sprockets (chain rings, 3 on a mtb and normaly 2 on a road ding).

Black stripe your chain (aka chain line)

The red n green cup lying on its side represents your back sprockets (cluster) - the red ones are where you could get that girrr noise chain rub ride with the chain on the big chain ring and largest sprocket at the back, or on the smallest chain ring and the smallest sprocket at the back - clear as mudd Ying%20Yang.

http://www.machinehead-software.co.uk/bike/images/gearing_diagram.gif

BTW Nice 9mm WERE CAN I GET ONE..

Thank you very much everyone for all the explanations. I had a good look at the BB's on some of the bikes on this mornings ride and now understand exactly what its use is.

Swiss you can get a 9mm BB from http://www.pyramydair.com/ . I think this one looks great and will scare the cr@p out of anyone trying to steal your bike.

20061223_031749_Beretta-small-i.jpg