2nd lap at argus

fandacious

generaly the guys doing a second lap didnt stop the first time round so surely are just using the facilitys that have been catered for unless the organisers dont cater for quarter of the field who dont stop once during the race 

over history, only three quarters of the entrants make the startline anyway.

if everyone arrived they'd be in trouble!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Took off my chip lastyear for the second lap of the 94.7 but left my number' date=' Had a lot of fun chatting stopping at the water points and going over the line with my wife (priceless).

If it is possible I will do a second Argus lap with her.
[/quote']

I will be doing two laps this year too. Once racing and the second to catch my wife and then help out and enjoy the vibe.

This is what I have done for the last few years, its one of the only times that you get to ride with the wife. Also my house is on the course so I dont have an option, I have to ride along the course if I want to get home. I take my transponder off and ride again. For the record I dont stop for anything on the first lap, I dont think anyone in A- G stops at all.

Harry1...seems it is always about interpretation amongst cyclists .... the organisers of the events stipulates NO 2nd LAP ... yet some cyclists either do not understand the rule or plainly disregard this rule ....

Yet if the taxis violate rules then the same cyclists calls upon government to enforce laws ...

Surely it is a simple rule ... LEAD BY EXAMPLE ... it is like paying your tax, use a "hands-free" device for your cellphone etc.etc.

My house is also on course, I almost never ride with my wife in races. I rode back 25km in the burger to do her last 25 with her. Lucky I did, she had some mechanical problems and probably would have had to bail if I didnt help her.

Realistically, how many people could do 2 laps, 50 maybe a 100? spread throught he field the numbers are pretty insignificant. more ppl are probably off the roads in the massage tents!

I'll get the popcorn......

Hello Monday......

Rules are there to be broken?

Rules only applies to the fun riders?

What happens if you crash on your second lap? 

My house is also on course, I almost never ride with my wife in races. I rode back 25km in the burger to do her last 25 with her. Lucky I did, she had some mechanical problems and probably would have had to bail if I didnt help her.

Realistically, how many people could do 2 laps, 50 maybe a 100? spread throught he field the numbers are pretty insignificant. more ppl are probably off the roads in the massage tents!

exactly

you dont think this will just add to the number of people on the road ? Making it even more tricky for people who have problems handling their bikes when totally knackered?

Maybe have a separate start group starting last for all those wanting to do a 2nd lap, at an additional fee.

Maybe have a separate start group starting last for all those wanting to do a 2nd lap' date=' at an additional fee.
[/quote']

Good IDEA sir Scotty!

More money.  More guys enjoying the day.  Legally.  Because they CAN!  After all......the Argus is the world funride champs......

Hello Monday......

Spinnekop ... I have travelled extensively and what I found why Europe is such a successful country, whilst I was in France, is that the citizens do not take "short-cuts". They are "law-abiding" citizens ... no "hanky-panky" deals, they charge you VAT and pay over to the government ... no corruption, even when they work with asbestos, they insist having their handgloves on ...

Here in South Africa ... the opposite, if it suites us, lets break the rules, depending on "how i feel today" ...

In Sydney, one of our friends were ask to remove their children from an area where alcohol was served, because the kids were younger than 16 ... the owner said his licence could be taken away if the authorities found the kids in the area ...

Maybe have a separate start group starting last for all those wanting to do a 2nd lap' date=' at an additional fee.
[/quote']

Good IDEA sir Scotty!

More money.  More guys enjoying the day.  Legally.  Because they CAN!  After all......the Argus is the world funride champs......

Big%20smile

Did sort of a second lap with the Mrs in 2008.  After completing my first lap, I went down the M4, joined up on the route at Muizenberg.  Then in Simonstown I went over Redhill.  (Tell you with only a months training for the Argus and getting this hill with 150 km in your legs is a bit of bitch).  Got to the Red Hill water point and 5 minutes later the mrs came in and we did the rest together.  Was my best Argus ever.

Hello Monday......

Spinnekop ... I have travelled extensively and what I found why Europe is such a successful country' date=' whilst I was in France, is that the citizens do not take "short-cuts". They are "law-abiding" citizens ... no "hanky-panky" deals, they charge you VAT and pay over to the government ... no corruption, even when they work with asbestos, they insist having their handgloves on ...

Here in South Africa ... the opposite, if it suites us, lets break the rules, depending on "how i feel today" ...

In Sydney, one of our friends were ask to remove their children from an area where alcohol was served, because the kids were younger than 16 ... the owner said his licence could be taken away if the authorities found the kids in the area ...
[/quote']  You American by any chance?  Europe is not one country, despite despite the Germans' best effort...

why do you guys do a second lap ?

if it is just to enjoy the vibe thats awesome - then help out - but if it is to better your DC time then go away.

my main aim of doing a second lap is to enjoy the vibe and help out the backmarkers. a number of my friends are doing it for their first time and I offered to ride with them

you dont think this will just add to the number of people on the road ? Making it even more tricky for people who have problems handling their bikes when totally knackered?

[/quote']

and have a rev cadence, speed limit ...Tongue

why do you guys do a second lap ?

if it is just to enjoy the vibe thats awesome - then help out - but if it is to better your DC time then go away.

my main aim of doing a second lap is to enjoy the vibe and help out the backmarkers. a number of my friends are doing it for their first time and I offered to ride with them

Clap

push for beers .. now that I like