Cape Town danger areas

Evan Andreou

Table Mountain Bikers The area we are going to be walking through has been a known crime hot spot for 2-3 years.Many people use the track to get to the cable station and criminals know this. What we want to find out is are there people living in the area and if they are, we will alert the rangers to this. Spending the night on the mountain, outside of designated camping sites, is illegal. What is also worth noting is that fires have started in areas where there are a number of people sleeping in a general area on the mountain. In the Deer Park area, up to 50 individuals have been counted, living there at one time. A number of fires have started in Deer Park. We want to go on regular walks on the mountain and show that we are aware of the criminal element that uses the mountain to hide and perpetrate crime. We did the same 8 years ago when TMB started. We refused to hand over the recreational spaces on the mountain to the criminals and got together a cyclists and kept on riding in groups.It's our response to crime - not to give in, but to keep riding.

Thanks for clearing that up! ????

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the real scary thing is that it seems robbers first stab/hit/whatever and then take goods .... one of our commuters saw towards the end of last year how a teen aged boy walked up to a bakkie standing still in peak hour traffic, then just start stabbing the driver through his open window and took his cellphone, then ran away. 

Top gate kirstenbosch they were busy bagging a poor cyclist who had been run Down by somebody and didn't look good. Seems maybe similar to milnerton when cyclist was blown off and run over by a bus. Had just this am descended from top gate to Edinburgh drive and had to have a good shout at a young xxxx who went ridiculously close to me. Thank goodness I'm mostly on the mountain where sadly I usually commute once a week alone. Friday last week am and pm had to take diversions to avoid unappetising crossings high on the mountain. Best safe than sorry but gee I keep my eyes peeled now, putting your head down and peddling like mad not too clever.... And now with all the expensive ebikes I think they will attract even more crime once the villains hear about their value

• 1 month later...

Reports of an attack and stabbing above Deer Park on my NW group. Apparently the cyclist was stabbed with a broken bottle and Grey Santa Cruz and cel phone stolen. Guy with dreads running pushing the bike down towards Deer Park Cafe.

might be the same guy ?

Not from the sound of it, this guy was described as short and couldn’t ride the bike.

Edited by Barry_W

might be the same guy ?

Not from the sound of it, this guy was described as short and couldn’t ride the bike.

ok, just the dreadlocks made me think of the other bike theft

• 1 month later...

See a jogger was shot on Empire rd,Houtbay .Very popular route for bikes as well

Be careful out there

See a jogger was shot on Empire rd,Houtbay .Very popular route for bikes as well

Be careful out there

Yep at 6:25 this morning - crazy times.

Just wondering as Ive never done it... is it safe to do the greenbelt section from the bottom of tokai plantation to firgrove on your own midday during the week? I know on weekends its busy and sometimes mornings and evenings during the week... just not sure if its safe for a lunchtime spin.

Just wondering as Ive never done it... is it safe to do the greenbelt section from the bottom of tokai plantation to firgrove on your own midday during the week? I know on weekends its busy and sometimes mornings and evenings during the week... just not sure if its safe for a lunchtime spin.

I've ridden that part quite a bit and have not heard of any problems on that section.

That said you never know so be aware of anything that looks out of place.

See a jogger was shot on Empire rd, Houtbay .Very popular route for bikes as well

Be careful out there

I heard that it happened, but no details apart from him running to a nearby house to call for help.

Was it robbery related or random ?

This is a popular road because it bypasses the 'High Street'. I would hate for it to now be unsafe

I ride it just about daily, during the week. Have heard about one bike jacking and two runner/pedestrian muggings, all three at or near the bridge out of the plantation onto the tar track in the last four years or so, none for a while though. I rarely feel unsafe.