Cape Town danger areas

Evan Andreou

Be on the lookout along Marine Drive My Citi bus/cycle route.

I was bike jacked at knife point this morning around 08:05 on my way to work into town. Just before the Woodstock bus stop coming into town underneath the bridge where the homeless people live. A tall local coloured chap shoulder charged me off my bike as I was travelling around 30km/h down the overpass under the bridge. Not great on road bike and took a tumble and before I could get my pepper spray out he was standing over me with a 9 inch blade in my stomach threatening to kill me. After giving him my rucksack and attempted to take my bike but luckily the chain had come off so he lost interest after a minute of trying to ride away with it.

To the 10 or more homeless people who live under that bridge and a few walkers by a huge thank you to them all as they chased and caught the guy, brought him back to me and gave me my rucksack back. A bit shaken up and hurt my knee from the fall but otherwise all ok and thankfully not stabbed. Only the mobile was not recovered. I reported it to the bus stop to call SAPS but they were so half asleep who knows if anything came of it.

Be alert when you're riding out there folks!

**** sorry to hear

I go that way from town to Blouberg and back home most weekends,thanks for the headsup as I cycle alone most of the time.

I think it was only 1 out of 10 rides I saw a security or the police go down there

Edited by AdielD

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to hear of such a cowardly deed aimed at person of small build.Good to hear some of the homeless guys offered a helping hand.I am sure these same homeless guys suffer at the hands of these skelms.There are cameras all along that route .Would be good to put up a pic of the skelm all over that area,just to scare him off or some jungle justice!

I go through there in the dark but ride on the buslane  with no lights .Feel the cycle lane to narrow to avoid an ambush.

Be safe out there!

A big thank you to all the cyclists who stopped this morning at about 8 after a lady decided to turn right in front of me at corner of Main and Dido Valley roads in Simonstown. Ended up at Constantiaberg ER with 12 stitches and both arms in a cast. Bike travelled with me in ambulance????Seeing hand surgeon tomorrow. Possible operation on right hand. Asked my wife to take me back to SAPS in Simonstown to file a reckless and negligent driving. Just came back after docket was opened.

Thoughts are with the family and friends of the cyclist who lost his life yesterday in Diep River.

Be safe out there

Edited by Bloukrans

A big thank you to all the cyclists who stopped this morning at about 8 after a lady decided to turn right in front of me at corner of Main and Dido Valley roads in Simonstown. Ended up at Constantiaberg ER with 12 stitches and both arms in a cast. Bike travelled with me in ambulanceSeeing hand surgeon tomorrow. Possible operation on right hand. Asked my wife to take me back to SAPS in Simonstown to file a reckless and negligent driving. Just came back after docket was opened.

Thoughts are with the family and friends of the cyclist who lost his life yesterday in Diep River.

Be safe out there

Outch. Not at all good. :thumbdown: I'll be thinking of you and trust all will heal up without complications.

Both arms in a cast is an absolutely terrible situation to be in. My dad (the senior DJR) had that about 10 years ago when he was 70 and it was a tough time to get through, but he did it with a lot of help from my mom, and continued riding. It is near impossible to do anything for yourself, difficult to even brush your teeth because you can't reach, difficult to dress etc. etc. 

Outch. Not at all good. :thumbdown: I'll be thinking of you and trust all will heal up without complications.

Both arms in a cast is an absolutely terrible situation to be in. My dad (the senior DJR) had that about 10 years ago when he was 70 and it was a tough time to get through, but he did it with a lot of help from my mom, and continued riding. It is near impossible to do anything for yourself, difficult to even brush your teeth because you can't reach, difficult to dress etc. etc.

Thanks Dawid

Thanks Dawid

If you need help finding the right people, remember I'm an expert crasher myself :blush: and I got to know the orthopods first hand. Just shout.

A big thank you to all the cyclists who stopped this morning at about 8 after a lady decided to turn right in front of me at corner of Main and Dido Valley roads in Simonstown. Ended up at Constantiaberg ER with 12 stitches and both arms in a cast. Bike travelled with me in ambulance[emoji23]Seeing hand surgeon tomorrow. Possible operation on right hand. Asked my wife to take me back to SAPS in Simonstown to file a reckless and negligent driving. Just came back after docket was opened.

Be safe out there

Heal up soon mate, I've had some heart stopping moments with cars turning in front of me, hope you nail the driver, if not criminally then at least for costs. I think you can also claim from the Raf.

Outch. Not at all good. [emoji107] I'll be thinking of you and trust all will heal up without complications.

How do you wipe your bum?

Asking for a friend.

Heal up soon mate, .................. How do you wipe your bum?.....................Asking for a friend.

Well, let me tell you my dads' story, and I specifically didn't include that bit for Bloukrans.........

At the end of a tough 8 weeks when his casts came off, he said to my mom that he knows they both, more than 40 years ago, promised to stand together through sickness and in health and all that, but that he never expected her to have do the stuff she did for him while he had his 2 arms in casts. He wanted to give her something to say thank you, but he didn't know what........

...........she said, oh, that's no problem, I have already booked a tour of Europe for the two of us, all you have to do is give me your credit card!  :D To her credit, she arranged it so that their tour ended in Paris the same time as another famous Tour....... :clap:

I tell you, there is a reason they have now been married for more than 55 years.

A big thank you to all the cyclists who stopped this morning at about 8 after a lady decided to turn right in front of me at corner of Main and Dido Valley roads in Simonstown. Ended up at Constantiaberg ER with 12 stitches and both arms in a cast. Bike travelled with me in ambulanceSeeing hand surgeon tomorrow. Possible operation on right hand. Asked my wife to take me back to SAPS in Simonstown to file a reckless and negligent driving. Just came back after docket was opened.

Be safe out there

That sounds really nasty. heal up nicely. I hope recovery is 100%

Heal up soon mate, I've had some heart stopping moments with cars turning in front of me, hope you nail the driver, if not criminally then at least for costs. I think you can also claim from the Raf. How do you wipe your bum?

Asking for a friend.

I believe Happy Bidet is the correct phrase/present...

Levity is welcome in this saddest of times.

Edit: removed a word..

Edited by cfcjim

Be safe out there

Jeez mate that is rough, hope you are healed up soon.

And that is a seriously impressive amount of typing for someone with both arms out of action.

Be safe out there

Jeez. Sorry to hear.  Hope you heel up soon and good luck with the recovery.  

Jeez mate that is rough, hope you are healed up soon.

And that is a seriously impressive amount of typing for someone with both arms out of action.

Thanks Mark

I have a PA at home????????

Be on the lookout along Marine Drive My Citi bus/cycle route.

I was bike jacked at knife point this morning around 08:05 on my way to work into town. Just before the Woodstock bus stop coming into town underneath the bridge where the homeless people live. A tall local coloured chap shoulder charged me off my bike as I was travelling around 30km/h down the overpass under the bridge. Not great on road bike and took a tumble and before I could get my pepper spray out he was standing over me with a 9 inch blade in my stomach threatening to kill me. After giving him my rucksack and attempted to take my bike but luckily the chain had come off so he lost interest after a minute of trying to ride away with it.

To the 10 or more homeless people who live under that bridge and a few walkers by a huge thank you to them all as they chased and caught the guy, brought him back to me and gave me my rucksack back. A bit shaken up and hurt my knee from the fall but otherwise all ok and thankfully not stabbed. Only the mobile was not recovered. I reported it to the bus stop to call SAPS but they were so half asleep who knows if anything came of it.

Be alert when you're riding out there folks!

Glad you fine and got your Bike and bag back. Speedy recovery.

Looks like we have to get funds together and pay the homeless people to protect us on that stretch.

For now I will carry on taking the freeway in and out of town.

Lets split geographically

No need to get GIS on this. Cape Town roads are dangerous everywhere. Drivers in this city just don't give a ****! They especially don't like being overtaken, hence the right lane hogging. This morning A woman tried to drive me off the road for overtaking her. She's doing 80 in the RH lane on the M3. I'm sitting behind her and after a few minutes of waiting I overtake in the left lane. She speeds up and steers her car toward me. :eek:  :cursing:

No picture of her car because my phone was locked in the glove box.

This is how Monday started. I'm now staring out of the window from my office and already here has been two accidents at the roundabout outside  :cursing: ....

cops have just arrived for the first rear ender... 

Runner mugged in Constantia on the weekend

Cyclist killed on M4, Plumstead two others seriously injured.

but plenty of speed cameras in operation this weekend

rant over