Cape Town danger areas

Evan Andreou

13 hours ago, cadenceblur said:

Wow. The brazenous! Sickening. Glad you're okay.

I am at a loss, how am I meant to commute without having to be continuously anxious about every person I pass being a potential hazard? Or being sucked under a truck on the N1 or Voortrekker Road? I do not own a car so now I am forced to put myself in danger twice a day, the only choice I have is what form of danger I get to put myself in. It is sad that we are slowly losing our freedom of movement.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Was accosted by 3 kids, one with a rather menace looking blade, Tuesday morning on the bike path just after the Woodstock bridge, coming from city side.  Stopped and k@ked them out.  This was stupid, I know, but **** this.

The kids, probably bored (school holiday), just walking around causing ****.

There is always police, so stopped and told them, and they did immediately went after them.  Did not followed this up further, but the one cop said; "why are you guys cycling here, it is very dangerous".  WTF dude, this is the cycle lane, built for that purpose? "Facepalm"

I also shot of a tweet off to our City of Cape Town and Alan about the lack of maintenance and them not keeping the cycle lane safe.  Silence, complete and total silence.  They feel a ****, or I guess just have to much other **** to deal with. 

I am getting a weapon, and next time will shoot the little *******.  It will be non lethal (but moerse eina), but it will give me plenty of satisfaction.  

My next tweet to The City and Alan, will be that I am now armed (will not say non lethal), and war is about to break out on the bike path.  See if that gets reaction...

12 minutes ago, The Commuter said:

Was accosted by 3 kids, one with a rather menace looking blade, Tuesday morning on the bike path just after the Woodstock bridge, coming from city side.  Stopped and k@ked them out.  This was stupid, I know, but **** this.

The kids, probably bored (school holiday), just walking around causing ****.

There is always police, so stopped and told them, and they did immediately went after them.  Did not followed this up further, but the one cop said; "why are you guys cycling here, it is very dangerous".  WTF dude, this is the cycle lane, built for that purpose? "Facepalm"

I also shot of a tweet off to our City of Cape Town and Alan about the lack of maintenance and them not keeping the cycle lane safe.  Silence, complete and total silence.  They feel a ****, or I guess just have to much other **** to deal with. 

I am getting a weapon, and next time will shoot the little *******.  It will be non lethal (but moerse eina), but it will give me plenty of satisfaction.  

My next tweet to The City and Alan, will be that I am now armed (will not say non lethal), and war is about to break out on the bike path.  See if that gets reaction...

https://www.tactical.net.za/collections/blank-guns-9mm

or pepper spray

and

how many years did it take this moron to now only realise

https://www.iol.co.za/news/crime-and-courts/it-does-look-like-we-have-a-problem-here-says-bheki-cele-after-11-attacks-on-tourists-03b25ed8-74e8-4722-ba2c-e904af0cc105

Edited by Eddy Gordo

This is probably off topic and a whole other thread, but where is PPA in all of this. Not sure how many guys here pay subs but all they seem to do (slight sarcasm here, I'm sure there is lots else done) is hand out wider of the rider sticker once a year around CTCT time.

Where do they engage with the cycling community? Don't think they are present here on the Hub? Do they interface with CoCT?

PPA > About >  "committed to promoting cycling and the interests of cyclists. Recreational cycling (on- and off-road), development through cycling, safe cycling and advocacy are among the PPA’s priorities."

Surely there can be a little more pressure on their side to increase safety, both from a traffic and personal safety?

2 minutes ago, DuncanCT said:

This is probably off topic and a whole other thread, but where is PPA in all of this. Not sure how many guys here pay subs but all they seem to do (slight sarcasm here, I'm sure there is lots else done) is hand out wider of the rider sticker once a year around CTCT time.

Where do they engage with the cycling community? Don't think they are present here on the Hub? Do they interface with CoCT?

PPA > About >  "committed to promoting cycling and the interests of cyclists. Recreational cycling (on- and off-road), development through cycling, safe cycling and advocacy are among the PPA’s priorities."

Surely there can be a little more pressure on their side to increase safety, both from a traffic and personal safety?

Spot on reply !!!!

PPA is "missing in action" !!!!

40 minutes ago, The Commuter said:

I am getting a weapon

ah yes, let us escalate this so that would be muggers assume that all cyclists carry weapons and start arming themselves better.

I know it is frustrating but making a *** situation worse gets us nowhere even faster

31 minutes ago, DuncanCT said:

but where is PPA in all of this

I did email them. I will let you know should I ever receive a reply.

also...it has been pretty well documented that you cant use that cycle lane safely. You just cant. You might luck it a few times but there have been horrendous incidents on that route around woodstock. It's been that way for years now. Also why the police asked you if you are crazy. They know. Even Alan you are tweeting was accosted there lol

48 minutes ago, MORNE said:

also...it has been pretty well documented that you cant use that cycle lane safely. You just cant. You might luck it a few times but there have been horrendous incidents on that route around woodstock. It's been that way for years now. Also why the police asked you if you are crazy. They know. Even Alan you are tweeting was accosted there lol

as jy ** soek sal jy *** ***

1 hour ago, DuncanCT said:

I think PPA does a lot for cycling safety awareness and advocacy - maybe not as much as you would like but certainly more than handing out stickers once a year.

I would also say there are limits to what they can do, its also up to us to get involved. 

6 hours ago, DuncanCT said:

EXACTLY 

5 hours ago, Skubarra said:

I think PPA does a lot for cycling safety awareness and advocacy - maybe not as much as you would like but certainly more than handing out stickers once a year.

I would also say there are limits to what they can do, its also up to us to get involved. 

Sorry, but where? I was a member last year (admittedly only for the discounts on entries)  and other than the odd spam email…i agree with the above post that they don't do much of anything really. I once got a pm from someone high up because of some criticism on here, engaged…and even that never went further than my reply lol. Not that they have to i guess….but own it then. Empty promises are for politics.

edit: compare their usual (non discounted post covid fee) to what a Jonkers or TMC or Winelands or Tokai membership costs for instance then what that fee gets you for you rands. PPA membership basically gets you early CTCt entry by 7 days…arguably unethical better seeding and some empty promises….ok and discount on funrides that happen on the same route 4 times a year I guess. The question you always have to ask is that if they went away tomorrow…would anyone care or really notice?

Edited by MORNE