Cape Town danger areas

Evan Andreou

Good thing I rode the road both ways this morning and not the cycle path then… looks like there’s no other option..

regarding the idiots at big bay shouting at cyclings to yield when they are themselves running stop signs/markings, I notified PPA to maybe inform the residents of all the complexes that side about what the “yield to traffic” means and that maybe they should be more aware of the signage in front of them than the one that’s for other road users, haven’t had issues since but I’m always very vigilant crossing those exits now just in case

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Recently been an attack on the beach in the same area.He was also threatened with a knife.Tablebay Nature Reserve must start patroling there reserve

A different kind of danger: the cycle lanes in the city have been repainted. I think its great from a visibility perspective, but they're so super slippery.  I provided great entertainment to the hipsters in Clarkes on Sunday.

I was a MAMIL doing my best impression of a cape fur seal on the ground. Not my finest moment.

Oh well.   

On 5/30/2022 at 9:59 AM, olmec said:

A different kind of danger: the cycle lanes in the city have been repainted. I think its great from a visibility perspective, but they're so super slippery.  I provided great entertainment to the hipsters in Clarkes on Sunday.

I was a MAMIL doing my best impression of a cape fur seal on the ground. Not my finest moment.

Oh well.   

There can be only one ...... Mamil....

• 1 month later...

Just a heads up to please be vigilant on the Bloemendal/Durbanville road. My buddy and I escaped a bike jacking attempt on Saturday morning heading towards the intersection at Durbanville Hills wines coming from Burgundy Estate. Two individuals came towards us and suddenly the one pulled a knife and charged towards us. Luckily we managed to swerve around them, but my buddy had to go wide and landed in the grass area on the side of the road before getting back into the tar road. One of the individuals gave chase for about a 100 metres before giving up. Needless to say we were rattled good and proper after that. I know there are a lot of cyclists/runners using that road towards Contermanskloof/Durbanville so just a timely reminder to please be vigilant. We had a very close shave...

43 minutes ago, Rikki Louw said:

Just a heads up to please be vigilant on the Bloemendal/Durbanville road. My buddy and I escaped a bike jacking attempt on Saturday morning heading towards the intersection at Durbanville Hills wines coming from Burgundy Estate. Two individuals came towards us and suddenly the one pulled a knife and charged towards us. Luckily we managed to swerve around them, but my buddy had to go wide and landed in the grass area on the side of the road before getting back into the tar road. One of the individuals gave chase for about a 100 metres before giving up. Needless to say we were rattled good and proper after that. I know there are a lot of cyclists/runners using that road towards Contermanskloof/Durbanville so just a timely reminder to please be vigilant. We had a very close shave...

Glad you managed to get away. That area has been notorious for a while and must rather be avoided. The whole area around the Big Barrel pub has basically been off limits for the last few years due to the expansion of Dunoon and the increase of joblessness and poverty. Cyclists are increasingly becoming targeted by these criminal elements.

One of our club members was bikejacked this morning at about 5h30AM.

Location: Rosmead Avenue - opposite William Herbert Sports ground.

2 assailants - he was hit in the face with a gun. 

Turquoise MTB taken 

They ran into Wynberg with his bicycle

He went for check up - shoulder took a hit when he fell.

Three guys also chased him yesterday morning on same stretch of road while he was en route to the club ride meeting spot at the BP garage - approximate time 7h10

3 hours ago, Rikki Louw said:

3 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

Glad you managed to get away. That area has been notorious for a while and must rather be avoided. The whole area around the Big Barrel pub has basically been off limits for the last few years due to the expansion of Dunoon and the increase of joblessness and poverty. Cyclists are increasingly becoming targeted by these criminal elements.

i was bike jacked in that area too late 2020. It's basically unsafe all the way up to Jean/Klein Roosboom - thats the furthest up a bike jacking has taken place as far as I know. there has even been an incident where a father and kids were attacked and the kid stabbed. They dont give a F.  You cant ride that side of the 'boerewors gordyn' anymore. If it's downhill to Dunoon...avoid like the plague. 

Edited by MORNE

25 minutes ago, MongooseMan said:

It appears you now need to watch out for booby traps from disgruntled Hout Bay residents

or potential bikejackers 

• 2 weeks later...

He wasn't cycling but.......

We have a 21 yr old nephew who is studying/work experiencing in Cape Town at the moment. He's a well bought up, polite and considerate young man who would never hurt anyone.  He was attacked walking to work early the other morning. They sliced through his chest, lung, diaphragm and spleen - cutting him from his upper chest down to his lower stomach. Stole his almost empty wallet and left him for dead. He managed to crawl for help. Someone found him and he was rushed to hospital. They removed his spleen but managed to save his lung and repair his diaphragm. yesterday he came off of his morphine drip and hopefully in a few days he'll be able to leave hospital and go home for a long period of rest and recovery.

55 minutes ago, Bonus said:

He wasn't cycling but.......

We have a 21 yr old nephew who is studying/work experiencing in Cape Town at the moment. He's a well bought up, polite and considerate young man who would never hurt anyone.  He was attacked walking to work early the other morning. They sliced through his chest, lung, diaphragm and spleen - cutting him from his upper chest down to his lower stomach. Stole his almost empty wallet and left him for dead. He managed to crawl for help. Someone found him and he was rushed to hospital. They removed his spleen but managed to save his lung and repair his diaphragm. yesterday he came off of his morphine drip and hopefully in a few days he'll be able to leave hospital and go home for a long period of rest and recovery.

Sheesh! Where did this happen?