Cape Town danger areas

Evan Andreou

1 hour ago, MORNE said:

Sorry if i misinterpreted. 

Re jon snow: hehe

‘You Know Nothing, Jon Snow" is a memorable quote attributed to the Wildling character Ygritte from George R. R. Martin's epic fantasy novel series A Song of Ice and Fire.’

it gained traction as an internet meme to describe someone’s relative ignorance about the workings of the real world. 

😅

I understand your frustration and anger. You went through a rough patch and a couple others. And we are all going our own personal hell.

We are here vaguely prodding each other and jolling on bicycles so at least be grateful and try treat everyone as you would out on the trails.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, peepeekaitjie said:

I still don't know who jon snow or rr martin is. Lord of the rings?

you need really to cycle less and watch more series and movies :P

@MORNE  twitter opened my account again, with no apology or feedback. I have just not been on a bike, let alone commuting in any form to use that account effectively again.

@peepeekaitjie take a look at and post to the following account 

4 hours ago, Hairy said:

you need really to cycle less and watch more series and movies :P

@MORNE  twitter opened my account again, with no apology or feedback. I have just not been on a bike, let alone commuting in any form to use that account effectively again.

@peepeekaitjie take a look at and post to the following account 

gaan slaap 

I've come to the conclusion that pedaling on tar is no longer safe in CT anymore. If cars don't get you, then you get mugged. It's just not worth it to me anymore.

Year before last my annual mileage was around 5000km. Last year was down to about 1200. This year to date just a bit over 600. And about 98% of it on trails. Road riding just makes no more sense to me.

2 hours ago, Gruffalo said:

2 cyclists knocked down on Bottelary Rd (near Cafe Mambo) this morning at around 9am.

Hope they are okay!

I actually rode past that scene this morning. One guy was really banged up and laying in the grass but he was moving and talking. Another was lightly bruised and laying on on the road and he was doing a lot better. 

The bakkie had a banged up left front light indicating that the was some force in the impact. That was also confirmed by a totalled bike. 

As curious as I was I thought it would be in poor taste to ask what happened in that moment so I don't have any insight as to how it happened. 

3 minutes ago, Sibulele said:

I actually rode past that scene this morning. One guy was really banged up and laying in the grass but he was moving and talking. Another was lightly bruised and laying on on the road and he was doing a lot better. 

The bakkie had a banged up left front light indicating that the was some force in the impact. That was also confirmed by a totalled bike. 

As curious as I was I thought it would be in poor taste to ask what happened in that moment so I don't have any insight as to how it happened. 

Along the straight ?

Or at that side junction ?

4 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Along the straight ?

Or at that side junction ?

On the straight before that curve and last hill as you come towards the golf course. 

But luckily the police were on the scene and EMS arrived as well. 

Edited by Sibulele

23 hours ago, Sibulele said:

On our whatsapp group it said the bakkie fled the scene - so it seems at least that wasn't the case

There was an incident just past Simons Town on the weekend.
I don't know details, just word of mouth from a friend of a friend.
There was quite a group of cyclists at the scene along with emergency services, but they weren't sure if a car was involved.
Hope it wasn't serious.

Does anyone have any info ?

1 hour ago, splat said:

There was an incident just past Simons Town on the weekend.
I don't know details, just word of mouth from a friend of a friend.
There was quite a group of cyclists at the scene along with emergency services, but they weren't sure if a car was involved.
Hope it wasn't serious.

Does anyone have any info ?

Most likely the incident that a cycling club from Ocean View was unfortunately involved in. Sounds like a taxi overtaking into oncoming traffic hit the one rider. It appears the rider is sort of ok, badly lacerated arm according to the FB post below.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid0qZ7wqUBpX66t256gWaW8vFLh5iLNBXWc1DRDn6dsVMbw5wgNT7NjE5YHw42ujSVbl&id=292947584552129

This just reaffirms my hesitancy to ride on the road. People just don't care anymore. Has human life become so invaluable? 

In what world is it okay to hit someone while driving a vehicle only to leave without so much as half a heartbeat of concern other than for your own wellbeing? 

I agree with others who've said it. I hate this thread.

1 hour ago, Robbie Stewart said:

This just reaffirms my hesitancy to ride on the road. People just don't care anymore. Has human life become so invaluable? 

In what world is it okay to hit someone while driving a vehicle only to leave without so much as half a heartbeat of concern other than for your own wellbeing? 

I agree with others who've said it. I hate this thread.

Well, last August I got hit by a member of the SA Navy as he turned down towards the Naval base in Simonstown, 50m away from the police station. He stopped, gave false details and then drove off when I said I wanted the cops on scene. My mate tracked him going through naval security and they identified him & confirmed the details were false.

I tried to get Simonstown police more involved than just filling out an accident report for insurance. After about 5 fruitless attempts to get to speak with the station commander I gave up. Dealing with the concussion and looking after myself with a fractured right elbow, which needed surgery, was in the end of higher priority.

People generally are not nice*  and don't give a toss about others..

*original phrase replaced for the pg13 filter

6 minutes ago, NC_lurker said:

Well, last August I got hit by a member of the SA Navy as he turned down towards the Naval base in Simonstown, 50m away from the police station. He stopped, gave false details and then drove off when I said I wanted the cops on scene. My mate tracked him going through naval security and they identified him & confirmed the details were false.

I tried to get Simonstown police more involved than just filling out an accident report for insurance. After about 5 fruitless attempts to get to speak with the station commander I gave up. Dealing with the concussion and looking after myself with a fractured right elbow, which needed surgery, was in the end of higher priority.

People generally are not nice*  and don't give a toss about others..

*original phrase replaced for the pg13 filter

I have a similar tale. Got thrown otb on Marine Drive on Blouberg by Kentucky after a oke in a Volvo decided to skip the Stop. I smacked the tar with my head and cracked my elbow as well. Cutting out a lot of the story, but after he pretended to care, he did a runner after I passed out, leaving me beside the road.

I ended up in ER undergoing CT scans for possible brain injury, and was discharged later that same evening. This after essentially assisting myself. Passers by were taking wide loops to give me a miss. Funny how despite being concussed I remember that. Also the two chancers wanting to relieve me of my bike and my phone. I puffed myself up to look even bigger than I am, and they turned and left. If only they knew had they tried I was powerless to stop them.