Joburg danger areas

Evan Andreou

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it would be safe at the R&L. Not sure I would leave it outside a closed Something Country though.

Of course there's no guarantees anywhere is safe. If you're really worried park at Cradlestone and ride into the Cradle?

Guest notmyname

Thanks guys, I drove there yesterday and things looked a bit shady and lonely :thumbdown: so I ended up at the gym!!

I rode there yday around 1700. There were a few cyclists out and i felt safe. As for parking. Why not park a Bidon Bistro. There were cars there when I went by.

I rode there yday around 1700. There were a few cyclists out and i felt safe. As for parking. Why not park a Bidon Bistro. There were cars there when I went by.

I was there at 16:15. I went to Bidon Bistro first. There was 1 car in the parking. I spoke to the guard and he said that he was leaving at 17:00. I know that a car was stolen from there 3 Fridays ago.

Maybe I should have given it more time.

Maybe you guys can swap phone numbers and/or put together some sort of group ride?

That sounds like a plan, I am not a fan of gym spinning classes

• 4 months later...

I'm hearing some disturbing news about an increase in muggings and attacks along the Spruit. Apparently, near the Virgin active on Rustenburg Rd. These attacks are not limited to individual victims only.

I want to know how true this is and what other areas along the Spruit and environs are hotspots?

Is there a spreadsheet/database that tracks this info in an easy to read format? 

(Councillor, Bridgette Steer, has arranged for JMPD to be at Rustenburg Rd from 6:16 to 7:30, from Monday to Friday next week. Not sure what happens beyond this.)

I'm hearing some disturbing news about an increase in muggings and attacks along the Spruit. Apparently, near the Virgin active on Rustenburg Rd. These attacks are not limited to individual victims only.

I want to know how true this is and what other areas along the Spruit and environs are hotspots?

Is there a spreadsheet/database that tracks this info in an easy to read format? 

(Councillor, Bridgette Steer, has arranged for JMPD to be at Rustenburg Rd from 6:16 to 7:30, from Monday to Friday next week. Not sure what happens beyond this.)

Do a search.  There was a thread about this a couple of days ago.  No rumour, sorry to say.

To my recollection, the Rustenburg Road with safety issues is this section next to the S bends on Barry Hertzog, linking Melville and Emmarentia. Not the same section as the Rustenburg road linking 1st Ave in Victory Park and Greenside

Google map link: https://www.google.co.za/maps/place/Rustenburg+Rd,+Johannesburg,+2109/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x1e950b8893db200b:0x35b56bbdb7d51d79?sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj3-r2r59zRAhVKI8AKHTRgB9kQ8gEIGTAA

Hub link: https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/165613-more-bike-jackings-melville/ 

Edited by 'Kaze Pete

As far as I am aware it's Rustenburg road in Melville - not in Victory Park.

To my recollection, the Rustenburg Road with safety issues is this section next to the S bends on Barry Hertzog, linking Melville and Emmarentia. Not the same section as the Rustenburg road linking 1st Ave in Victory Park and Greenside

Google map link: https://www.google.co.za/maps/place/Rustenburg+Rd,+Johannesburg,+2109/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x1e950b8893db200b:0x35b56bbdb7d51d79?sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj3-r2r59zRAhVKI8AKHTRgB9kQ8gEIGTAA

Hub link: https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/165613-more-bike-jackings-melville/ 

Thanks guys. I'm only, like, a week behind the times.

A bit like my cycling. Slow!

• 2 months later...

I'm new to MTB and have been riding the spruit solo for the last 3 months, absolutely loving it. I am ok with the risk of a bike jacking... although obviously not thrilled by the prospect.

However, I live with my girlfriend and would love to take her on some rides with me. The idea of something far worse happening with her is obviously horrific, and have only ever seen one woman riding with her partner on this trail so thinking maybe it is not a great idea?

I'm thinking a short 10KM round trip ride from our place (Ballyclare) down to KNEAD restaurant (Bryanston Drive) for a breakfast on Saturday or Sunday morning, or even from our place to parkhurst which is a bit longer (about 20KM round trip).

Having said all this, I have seen couples walking these areas in the early evenings, and even mom and daughter pairs - in fairness with large dogs...

Trying to gauge the viability and risk of this. Are there any precautions we could take apart from being aware etc? Will a big can of mace do the trick? I'm not a gun guy and probably wouldn't back myself with a knife or anything against a group of armed guys... 

Or is this just a risky idea in general? 

Edited by nicsza

There is a group in Pretoria called PEMBI, they have notified on their Facebook page that a group of riders where attacked ( or about to be ) on Breedts Nek a few weeks ago...........using rocks and crowbars. 

Be careful out there people, I am not going to stop going up there but don't go alone