Evan Andreou

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

does it spray a fog or a stream ?

in my experience the fog is better

Unless you are down wind from said Fog  :whistling: . I've read that stream is better as the chances of blow back into your own face is much less

but you need to aim stream

which given situation isn't always easy

fog is better my experience

Hi All,

www.cyclesafe.co.za

This product is the birth child of exactly what this forum chats about. We face the reality that we may be mugged while out riding. Unfortunately the pepper spray in my back pocket wasn't accessible to me at the time I needed it. That is where this product came from. 

Would love to know what you all think. 

:clap:

Got mugged on the spruit a couple of weeks back. Had my pepper spray in my back pocket. I heard them running up to me and as I tried to get my pepper spray out of my back pocket they were already pulling me onto the ground. My jersey pockets were torn in the process and everything fell out, so initiative was lost. As I was trying to defend myself the knives came out and naturally I meekly laid back on the ground. Had the pepper spray been on my top tube I think I would have had a much better chance to defend myself and retain my cell phone.

I will buy a couple.

• 4 weeks later...

I carry extra hydration Incase I run out on a hot day a spare tube Incase of a puncture and I carry certain weapons Incase of an attack for certain places. Just like I prepare what type of ride I’m going to do where to push where to take it easy I’ve got a go to plan for various scenarios of attacks that I may incounter from “it’s ok take my bike just don’t hurt me “ all the way through to whispering in their ear “I promise to do this quick and not to let you suffer” but the main thing is to be prepared for Whatever happens on the day you’re confronted . Awareness is key

^yea.....

knew of a guy through a mutual friend who was trained and carried a firearm (legally) for this reason (being prepared and what not), found himself in a situation one day and defended himself, got one sure....but the other two took the gun off him and killed him with it, next to the road on the sidewalk.....in daylight. 

i have also been mugged by knife point before, and worst part is,  i saw it coming from about 20m away...at least my awareness/street smarts gave me that.

Having nowhere to go....instead of going all 'karate kid",  I rather took the time to calm myself, manage the situation and cooperate. Sure they took my bag/wallet and phone...but those are worthless compared to being stabbed because you aggravate them and give them reason.

I'm also usually the kind of guy who resorts to fight rather than flight...but there is a time and place for being a hero imo. protecting your material things ain't one of them in my book. It's just stuff...you can get new stuff.

Edited by morneS555

for what its worth...I carry a tazer in my snackpack on the top tube. The noise they make is sometimes enough of a deterrent. Another option would be one of these sentry batons the police carry. if you have ever used one you know what kind of damage it can do even with the most feeble of swings. :blush:  :ph34r:

post-64325-0-02782200-1562257952_thumb.jpg

Edited by morneS555

Yea listen it’s about self preservation at the end of the day. If it means handing over your bike without a fight to get to that point then you’re the winner. I’ll only ever go cold blooded if I know for certain the odds are in my favour . If two guys are unarmed and ive got pepper spray I’m deffinatly going to put up a fight and I’m not going to leave until both of their knees bend back like a flamingos . If there’s a gun pointed at me I say take the bike bru I never liked it anyway but different circumstances require different solutions . Mabey we should look into inventing pepper spray that’s sprays from the bike in a 360 angle . Anyway it’s a lousy thing to be talking about .

• 4 weeks later...

:clap:

Got mugged on the spruit a couple of weeks back. Had my pepper spray in my back pocket. I heard them running up to me and as I tried to get my pepper spray out of my back pocket they were already pulling me onto the ground. My jersey pockets were torn in the process and everything fell out, so initiative was lost. As I was trying to defend myself the knives came out and naturally I meekly laid back on the ground. Had the pepper spray been on my top tube I think I would have had a much better chance to defend myself and retain my cell phone.

This is awful mate, I'm sorry to hear. Where exactly did it happen, and how? Please let us know so we can try to avoid a similar situation

• 2 months later...

Hi Everyone,

Riding west and south:

I'm planning a longish ride solo in the next few weeks. I intend to ride down Witkoppen and turn towards Muldersdrift. From there I will ride on toward Randfontein. From Randfontein I intend to ride to Fochville and finally on to Parys.

I am open to route suggestions but really would like to know if there are any known danger areas along the proposed route. I'm quite willing to share KML/KMZ/GPX of the proposed route.

Any and all help welcome.

Thanks.

I've ridden more or less that route ie from Muldersdrift, Randfontein, Carletonville, Fochville, Parys. All on the road and all was 'safe'. I've also driven an alternative route to Parys for a future solo ride.

PM me if you wish and I'll ty and dig out routes and am happy to share or chat about them.

Hi Everyone,

Riding west and south:

I'm planning a longish ride solo in the next few weeks. I intend to ride down Witkoppen and turn towards Muldersdrift. From there I will ride on toward Randfontein. From Randfontein I intend to ride to Fochville and finally on to Parys.

I am open to route suggestions but really would like to know if there are any known danger areas along the proposed route. I'm quite willing to share KML/KMZ/GPX of the proposed route.

Any and all help welcome.

Thanks.