Pretoria danger areas

Evan Andreou

Hi guys,

With the holidays upon us (I'm already on leave), would it be safe to ride at Groenkloof in the mornings during weekdays? I want to start riding tomorrow morning, but don't have a cycling partner. I ride there regularly during weekends with my mates, and have never felt unsafe prob because of the huge amount of people on the trail, just dont know how a early morning weekday would go during December?

• Replies 632
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Groenkloof is sharp, I would stay clear of fountains though as the fence is dodgy near the railway and people can gain access that way

Hi guys,

With the holidays upon us (I'm already on leave), would it be safe to ride at Groenkloof in the mornings during weekdays? I want to start riding tomorrow morning, but don't have a cycling partner. I ride there regularly during weekends with my mates, and have never felt unsafe prob because of the huge amount of people on the trail, just dont know how a early morning weekday would go during December?

Good question. I am willing to go and ride with you early mornings tomorrow and Tuesday.

• 3 months later...

Went running in Voortrekker Monument today.

No issues but please be aware that there is a large hole in the fence near the Gautrein bridge on Eeufees road. The hole is at about hip length and perfect for a person to climb through and thus I'm pretty sure it's made by vagrants climbing through to sleep there/poach/get water/mug people.

I did make one of the guards at the gate aware of the matter (and will follow it up) but please guys do be vigilant if you go there, there may be more such "entrances" that one is not aware of.

ww.

• 6 months later...

Always ride at Groenkloof but did notice 2 suspicious looking guys last weekend. They drove around in their car (think it was a Tazz) and really didn't seem or look like the outdoor types (got that "pimp my ride" bling bling, hanging haflway out the windows checking us out type of look)

Maybe nothing to worry about but I'm just wondering how many times security help these guys get in, especially now with Dec holidays coming up...

Skoolhoof se vrou vir fiets aangeval

Suzette Beneke is Woensdagoggend aangeval en met ʼn mes in haar gesig gesteek nadat ʼn rower haar fiets wou steel. Suzette se man, Willie, is die hoof by Laerskool Bergsig in die weste van Pretoria.

Kolonel Johan de Villiers, van die Hercules-polisiestasie, kon nog nie die slagoffer se identiteit bekend maak nie, maar het wel aan Maroela Media bevestig dat ʼn vrou in Mountain View aangeval is.

“Ek kan bevestig dat ʼn vrou aangeval is nadat ʼn rower haar fiets wou steel. Die vrou het haar glo verset en is met ʼn mes in die gesig gesteek,” het De Villiers gesê. Die aanvaller het sonder die fiets van die toneel gevlug. Die vrou is na ʼn nabygeleë hospitaal geneem vir behandeling.

Niemand is nog in verband met die voorval in hegtenis geneem nie. Die Hercules-polisie ondersoek ʼn saak van poging tot roof.

Volgens een van die personeellede by die skool is Suzette blykbaar reeds uit die hospitaal ontslaan.

Edited by gummibear

Cyclist friend of mine told me last night that another bike jacking took place in the Boschkop area last weekend, anyone heard anything ?

Cyclist friend of mine told me last night that another bike jacking took place in the Boschkop area last weekend, anyone heard anything ?

No idea... only heard about the one.

Apparently the same modus operandi as the one earlier this year I heard of, bakkie passes cyclist, pulls off, armed wally brain gets out, bikes loaded into bakkie and away they go.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi Guys.

Please beware of Bush Trolls trying knock cyclists off their bikes behind the Mooikloof Ridge Estate. They tried to knock me off this morning but I managed to ride away. Other may not be so lucky!

I can't upload a map. It’s the section from Garsfontein road between Moreleta Park and National Intelligence. Ultimately ending at Delmas road.

I have reported it to the police, and they said they'll send a patrol that way.

This is sad as it is a nice section to ride.

Edited by Teeka

Thanks I know where this is. Glad you are OK!

Did it once with the Bester Cycles group and it was dodgy.

Lots of squatters in the area unfortunately.

Try join us for some rides in the area. There is a PTA East rides thread.

WW.

Hi Guys.

Please beware of Bush Trolls trying knock cyclists off their bikes behind the Mooikloof Ridge Estate. They tried to knock me off this morning but I managed to ride away. Other may not be so lucky!

I can't upload a map. It’s the section from Garsfontein road between Moreleta Park and National Intelligence. Ultimately ending at Delmas road.

I have reported it to the police, and they said they'll send a patrol that way.

This is sad as it is a nice section to ride.

You mean here?

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/21762292/MooiKloofTracks.png

:(

I love riding there..... and coincidentally I've only ever seen like 5 people on those tracks.

Thanks Weigh Weenie.

I'll watch the Pretoria East riding group with interest. I'll join when possible.

I must admit, I think that's the fastest I've ever climbed that hill.

Cheers.

Edited by Teeka

You mean here?

https://dl.dropbox.c...KloofTracks.png

sad.png

I love riding there..... and coincidentally I've only ever seen like 5 people on those tracks.

Hi Bianchi.

Sorry, I can't open the link, it was on the westen side of Mookloof Ridge. You follow that road up that nice hill past the townhouse complex with the guard tower.

Yes, there are very few people that ride there. Once I saw a group of maybe 7 or so riders, that was the largest group ever. Some motocross bikes now and then. Funny, this morning before the incident I saw horse trails on the path. That would have been something to see, the troll trying to knock the rider off their horse.

Cheers.