Pretoria danger areas

Evan Andreou

Too many informal settlements in open areas near big shopping centres......real crime spike in Pta last few months. Area next to Castle Walk shopping centre becoming real problem.........near Wolwespruit Bike Park.

Those informal settlements near/around suburbs/built up areas are criminals havens, no way to police them, criminals can move in and out at will, hide, hide stolen goods. Recipe for disaster if one springs up near you or in areas you utilize for recreation. The problems will just get worse until the settlement is moved or razed, neither being an easy or possible option considering the times we live in.

• Replies 632
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was almost bike jacked saterday morning around 9 at klapperkop.

It was on the gravel road next to George Storrar. I was on my own busy decending and two guys jumped out in front of me. One had a knife and a rock. The other two rocks. I immediately stoped and started screaming for help. I also pulled out my pepper spray which made them hesitate.

The one with the knife then advanced again. Luckily another rider came down and they retreated. You would think they would run away but they walked to the tree and sat down again. They then signalled us to go away!

The other rider then phoned his wife who phoned the police. They were not very helpful. They then phoned a friend involved with security in that area who said they will patrol.

I dont know if anything came of it.

Please be careful!

Ag FFS. I really love riding at KK and always go on my own.  Ride there many weekday afternoons but usually encounter very few MTBikers out on the trails which bothered me in the beginning but lately I guess I have become complacent.  KK is really the last place where I felt safe to ride on my own (during the week). :(

These attacks have gotten completely out of hand. I do my interval training at KK. Also felt relatively safe as there are always cyclists & joggers around, but clearly it's no longer the case. 

We need to somehow address this quickly before someone gets hurt. Any ideas? I stay 15mins cycle from KK, and it would be a pity to not be able to train there...

Ag FFS. I really love riding at KK and always go on my own.  Ride there many weekday afternoons but usually encounter very few MTBikers out on the trails which bothered me in the beginning but lately I guess I have become complacent.  KK is really the last place where I felt safe to ride on my own (during the week). :(

Wolwespruit Bike Park for now......

Well.......we as cyclist can let them drive us out of KK or we can do something about it.  Totally our choice.  SAP is not going to do it for us. 

I agree and am prepared to do something to ensure KK remains a safe training area.  Any suggestions?  I will be willing to make a monthly payment for security guards at the gates, just to stop people from just walking in although not sure it will make a difference. 

Man, not Klapperkop my favourite spot to cycle to and back home. No, please don't do this to us you bastards, leave :'(

Please add a caption

A picture is worth a thousand words.

(PS: these boys don't take uhm, ah, yooo, eish as an answer......they are quite active in Pta East. They have an office opposite Elarduspark Shopping Centre and seem to take business away from other security service providers.)

I agree with the sentiment of most everyone that have responded as well as, I am sure, a number of us who have not necessarily participated, but are increasingly worried nevertheless.

There is obviously an emerging safety problem on KK.

I like the idea of a private security firm assisting to make the area a higher risk for the undesirables, and would like to contribute if that can help make a change.

I train at KK almost every day and there have been incidents there that I am aware of for the last 3 to 4 weekends, a group of us confronted a few suspects in the grass 3 weeks back and last saterday the Parks Board Rangers were actually out patrolling after there was an attempted hi-jacking. The danger area is the first corner as you go up,they hide in the "ditch" on the right hand side, and then down near the bottom gate at George Storrar. Maybe we should ask the Police to actually patrol the dirt road that follows the boundry fence too, in between Nando breaks. But if one gets hi-jacked there, cant the Parks Board be held accountable to a certain extent, as it is a reserve under their control, next they going to start poaching the Zebra? Or what about a few of us going early one weekend and hiding out in the bushes and turning the tables on them, from the pattern over the last few weeks,I can almost bet it is the same 2 individuals each time, they have a minimal chance of being caught so they keep coming back! I can almost bet they are actually living in the bushes of KK, and doing Smash/Grab at fountains at night, the ones we confronted 2 weekends back ran and fell over the crash barrier and a plastic bag of cell phones went flying all over. I have no issue spending a day brushing up on my Bow shooting skills.....

There was in fact a bike-jacking in Centurion yesterday at 10:00. Just off Nelmapius Avenue opposite Cornwall Hill. The attackers threatened to kill him. They kept bashing him with rocks and a bottle. He spent some time in hospital but is home now. Broken wrist, stitches on head and in his ear and a badly bruised face

i was chased opposite Cornwall hill in the veld around 9:30 and just got away.

luckily i was on my SS , so i could just go and not worry about gearing.

rather use the pavement that runs past the college , it is visible and you can see far ahead of you.