Pretoria danger areas

Evan Andreou

A friend of mine was hijacked today at around 16:45 in the veld between Nelmapuis drive and Pierre van Ryneveld, accross Cornwall Hill. He was cycling on the road that is under construction. 5 guys attacked him, he is fine I am waiting for more details

• Replies 632
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A friend of mine was hijacked today at around 16:45 in the veld between Nelmapuis drive and Pierre van Ryneveld, accross Cornwall Hill. He was cycling on the road that is under construction. 5 guys attacked him, he is fine I am waiting for more details

Thanks for letting us know as I ride there three times a week . Now where do I ride so fed up with less places to ride .one day we will all be on indoor trainers only.

Thanks for letting us know as I ride there three times a week . Now where do I ride so fed up with less places to ride .one day we will all be on indoor trainers only.

Porra, that is a long time danger area. Don't even think about riding there! I was hijacked there in early 2010, not a good day. I ride Rietvlei trails (about 2km from mall) and The Big Red barn (about 5km from Irene station) they both safe. Of course there's quite a number of tracks next to the road in our area see Endomondo and Strava...

Ag no! We rode there last week. I think the activity has increased since they started building the new resvoir on the hill. Keep us posted on your mates condition.

Ag no! We rode there last week. I think the activity has increased since they started building the new resvoir on the hill. Keep us posted on your mates condition.

See my post below. Stay away there

Porra, that is a long time danger area. Don't even think about riding there! I was hijacked there in early 2010, not a good day. I ride Rietvlei trails (about 2km from mall) and The Big Red barn (about 5km from Irene station) they both safe. Of course there's quite a number of tracks next to the road in our area see Endomondo and Strava...

Tell me more about Rietvlei please, entry at the dam entrance?

Tell me more about Rietvlei please, entry at the dam entrance?

the last time I was there it was R 10 to get in. It is flat not much climbing can't remember how many k's you can do have to do laps to get a work out. I took my son there to to ride just for him to get some experience being flat . That is the one side of the dam ,there is another side that I have not done as it had some hills,by the look it was a bit to much for my son who is 9 years . I am planning to ride there with him in the next week or two as he will be getting his 26" small soon might try the other side with the hill or two.

Thanks Porra 1

The route on the Western side of the dam has quite a bit of climbing on a 6km track. I ride from Irene farm villages. Do both routes of the dam and back home, it is a 20km ride. Takes me about 1h15 (average rider)...

• 5 weeks later...

I am keen to do a ride from Cornwall hill school area to the red barn in the irene area and back again with a few mates. Will head along main road and stay out of the velds... Anybody heard of any bad attacks on the main road to red barn. I know most of the club rides in the area head to red Barn back. Is it safe?

I am keen to do a ride from Cornwall hill school area to the red barn in the irene area and back again with a few mates. Will head along main road and stay out of the velds... Anybody heard of any bad attacks on the main road to red barn. I know most of the club rides in the area head to red Barn back. Is it safe?

I don't see why not, we do it every now and then. It is quite open alongside the road so you can see if anyone is approaching.

EDIT: sp

Edited by Helpmytrap

• 8 months later...

Nicholas Popich was just bike jacked on his way back from BRB, between Cornwall Hill and Irene Mall while riding next to the road. So rather avoid the area.

https://www.facebook.com/nicholas.popich.5/posts/779951985362598?stream_ref=10