Bibshorts < R1000

Thomo

I'm getting two sets of the Gore Bibbs for R700 each' date=' have not tried them yet but hear good things:-D

[/quote']

I've heard good things about Gore too but don't see them locally ... and @ R700 it's a steal.!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My Cape Storms were very comfortable to start but didnt last too long. My Pearl Izumis on the other hand are fantastic. Cant find them anywhere now though.

Maverick have their own in house brand - bibs for R350. Very comfortable. I have done two Epics in these shorts and love them.

Also have the First Ascent - too much padding in the front, and tight around my legs.

Also getting the Gores, and I have heard good things about the Giordanas.

CWC also brings in the Marcello Brand from Raiko, made in Italy and very very comfy!! I got last years bibbs at a steal but the new stuff is around R600, the best I have ever had, and I've had two pair of the R3400 Assos jobbies to compare with.

I got a Cape Storm Bibshort whilst in Pretoria recently (the one without the white stitching) ..... wroks very well and paid R500-00 at Hatfield Cycles. Also got two pairs of Pro-race bibshorts at Solomons on a sale.... at R199-00 each. They are the best fit and most comfortable bibshorts I have worn in many moons. Not sure how long the "shammy" wil last though.

My Cape Storms were very comfortable to start but didnt last too long. My Pearl Izumis on the other hand are fantastic. Cant find them anywhere now though.

Have to agree.

My PI's are still as comfortable well after a year but the local agent for some reason isn't bring them in. Ouch

The CS Matrix lasted me around a year.

• 9 years later...

this seems to be a good budget BIBS thread to kickback into life!

the first Ascent range now goes a way beyond the grand mark,

https://www.sportsmanswarehouse.co.za/product/first-ascent-mens-pro-elite-bib-1/4115

I have a few pairs of fAscent bibs, most of them 5/6 years or even older.

most of them bought at the sale for stupid cheap price

most of them still work great, I don't have any issues with these bibs not working for me, (i do think bibs are a huge personal fit thing) EXCEPT

they are getting transparent. Now normally we like transparency in this day and age, but this is not one of those cases - and yes, my team mates have mentioned that they seeing too much too often. Is there any way to darken up the back of bib shorts, some magic spray that will stay there after washing?

I use the cape storm shorts for my weekly riding and have saved the Specialized BIB for either very long rides or races - really love the specialized bib but yeah they not cheap tho.

The cape storms have held up well and still going strong.

https://www.sportsmanswarehouse.co.za/product/first-ascent-mens-pro-elite-bib-1/4115

most of them still work great, I don't have any issues with these bibs not working for me, (i do think bibs are a huge personal fit thing) EXCEPT

they are getting transparent. Now normally we like transparency in this day and age, but this is not one of those cases - and yes, my team mates have mentioned that they seeing too much too often. Is there any way to darken up the back of bib shorts, some magic spray that will stay there after washing?

Yes... Cover them with some Stretch baggies 

Unfortunately the answer to your reconditioning question is a no... The see thruness of the bibs is the degradation of the lycra, through a combination of UV light, sweat, sunscreen, abrasion, and enzymatic action from washing powders...

No hope really for recovery, but prevention is better than a cure so stop doing the following: using spin cycles for machine washing, best practice is to avoid machine washed bibs altogether. Use a enzyme free washing powder, sunlight auto is enzyme free but I hand-wash so sunlight hand-wash powders(yellow or pink bags) are best and cheapest. Wash immediately after use or at least submerge in wash solution immediately, if not practical, you could also give them a quick rinse with you in the shower after your ride to prevent damage unto you wash them.

Make sure when habdwashing to rinse them out well.

Prevent wringing them out, if you have to dry them quickly, say, for the next day, then rather lay a towel out flat, place the bibs along the towel, roll the toeel/bib combo into a sausage and press the excess water out.

Should give you bibs that last year's and don't suffer from getting a little see thru or losing their elasticity.