We aren't making it any easier for ourselves

Aedon

This morning in the fog and the dark through Paarden Eiland I caught two guys without any lights or reflectors. When I suggested they get lights I was told to "F%*k off and mind your own business, d#!s."  Angry

Surely we also need to take responsibility for ourselves.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

These are the guys that will be the first to B!tch & Moan when they get taken out and the rest of us will hold a protest ride!!

A$$HOLES!!!

from now on I will not feel sorry for any body before I hear the whole story. At this rate it looks like cyclists are at fault most of the times. A story like "I was just riding along and this idiot did not look where he was going, ran into me". Next question "were you visible or have any lights on?". Answer "no, but he should still look where he is going"

Sorry boet, no sympathy from me.

But you don't have to raise your blood pressure by policing these twits. Just make sure your own house is in order and let it go. Show others by example that you do, what they already know they should be doing to. 

But you don't have to raise your blood pressure by policing these twits. Just make sure your own house is in order and let it go. Show others by example that you do' date=' what they already know they should be doing to.  [/quote']

100%. And don't ride with those that don't comply to your riding "standards" and let them know why you don't ride with them anymore.

It seems that there is a type of cyclists that thinks they are bullet proof, but also quite aggressive. These seem the type that would also flip the finger if a car hooted 'cos they were riding 2/3 abreast. A real 'ph#ck you' attitude.

These are the types that give cyclists a bad name.

It seems that there is a type of cyclists that thinks they are bullet proof' date=' but also quite aggressive. These seem the type that would also flip the finger if a car hooted 'cos they were riding 2/3 abreast. A real 'ph#ck you' attitude.

These are the types that give cyclists a bad name.

[/quote']

Some cyclists with "finger" behaviour are just arrogant, immature and selfish .... but they have to becareful cause road rage is a reality .... then you finger cannot protect you ... I rather be humble when I cycle then having a 9mm through my body/skull from an angry motorist!

BTW, there is a big difference between road rage and aggressive driving. Most people drive aggresively but only some will result in road rage. Normally BMW drivers.

leaves coat and escapes though the bathroom window.

But you don't have to raise your blood pressure by policing these twits. Just make sure your own house is in order and let it go. Show others by example that you do' date=' what they already know they should be doing to. 

[/quote']

Unfortunately it's pricks like these that raise the aggression towards cyclists and guys get taken out by irate drivers.

But you don't have to raise your blood pressure by policing these twits. Just make sure your own house is in order and let it go. Show others by example that you do' date=' what they already know they should be doing to. 

[/quote']

Absolutely, TNT. Couldn't have said it better myself. As long as we ride well, and comply with the rules of the road, there's less chance of us inciting rage from another road user due to arrogance/ignorance and/or dis-corteousness. Survival of the (mentally) fittest?

'Cos i sure aint the fittest in the traditional sense of the word!

Driving home yesterday in peak hour traffic there was a son and dad on RB's flying over a Stop, turning over two lanes to make a lefty. At the next pedestrian 4-way they simply blasted through without so much as toucjing the brakes or looking left or right!

I gave the idiot a bit of a hood and he gave me a couple of fingers and signs and so forth. At the next traffic light he rolled up on the RHS of my car to tune me. Told hm that I too cycle and that it's idiots like him who makes it difficult for the rest of us. He didn't agree and told me where I could stuff my hooting...

Idiot. Think of the example he sets for his kid.

Every weekend when I drive to Jonkers I wonder why cyclists can't freaking cycle behind each other or stay in the yellow line. And then while I'm wondering that some idiot tops it off by swerwing to the right like a bat out of hell to pass another cyclist.

Yes, we make it difficult for ourselves.

But you don't have to raise your blood pressure by policing these twits. Just make sure your own house is in order and let it go. Show others by example that you do' date=' what they already know they should be doing to.  [/quote']

100%. And don't ride with those that don't comply to your riding "standards" and let them know why you don't ride with them anymore.

a couple of beers each for you two !!

cant agree more !!

dont need protest rides, dont need to enforce your rules on others, just keep your own house in order and dont ride with those that compromise your "standards". Even if that means riding alone ... okay maybe ride with at least one other (dont want wolfy to be chasing me down)

Lets all start with the man in the mirror.

Everybody obey all traffic rules. Treat Stop signs and Robots as stationary sprint practice, try beat all the cars accross the line, and practise your track stand ( Nothing like wasted time to learn a new skill)

Ride single file, if you must talk, shout, if you cant shout, get walkie talkies. They come in handy at races too!

If a car hoots, 99% of the time they are trying to warn you that they are approaching. Cars dont have a nice hooter and a K@K hooter... The difference is your perception. If you always take the "nice hooter option, give a wave to say, sorry or thank you whichever you need to. Even if you think "What a ****"...just wave... it will be better in the long run.

Make yourself visible. Get lights, use them, and stay away from black clothing.

Choose your Routes and riding times well, and let your loved ones know where you're going. If you cant fit in a ride without taking a risk, get a stationary trainer. You never know, you may save your own life by not pushing the envelope.

ICE everything you have on you. Even dialing your wife first before you leave. That way the last dialed number on your phone is the one you want to be in the know. Tell her you love her while you're at it.

If you want things to change you have to start by making a change. Lets start with all of us on the hub. Educate your friends on bikes, Bike shops please do the same as well as club captains etc...

Knowledge is power and small changes add up to one big change.