We aren't making it any easier for ourselves

Aedon

Lets all start with the man in the mirror.

Everybody obey all traffic rules. Treat Stop signs and Robots as stationary sprint practice' date=' try beat all the cars accross the line, and practise your track stand ( Nothing like wasted time to learn a new skill)

Ride single file, if you must talk, shout, if you cant shout, get walkie talkies. They come in handy at races too!

If a car hoots, 99% of the time they are trying to warn you that they are approaching. Cars dont have a nice hooter and a K@K hooter... The difference is your perception. If you always take the "nice hooter option, give a wave to say, sorry or thank you whichever you need to. Even if you think "What a ****"...just wave... it will be better in the long run.

Make yourself visible. Get lights, use them, and stay away from black clothing.

Choose your Routes and riding times well, and let your loved ones know where you're going. If you cant fit in a ride without taking a risk, get a stationary trainer. You never know, you may save your own life by not pushing the envelope.

ICE everything you have on you. Even dialing your wife first before you leave. That way the last dialed number on your phone is the one you want to be in the know. Tell her you love her while you're at it.

If you want things to change you have to start by making a change. Lets start with all of us on the hub. Educate your friends on bikes, Bike shops please do the same as well as club captains etc...

Knowledge is power and small changes add up to one big change.

[/quote']

Dude ...... well said !!! Great attitude Smile

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

BTW' date=' there is a big difference between road rage and aggressive driving. Most people drive aggresively but only some will result in road rage. Normally BMW drivers.

leaves coat and escapes though the bathroom window.

[/quote']

Hey you'll get het!!!AngryAngryAngry

WinkLOLLOL

Good one Tarmac. Also allow some time for unplanned stops. If you only have 1 hr to ride and you have a puncture, you have to make up the time somehow. This is when you start jumping lights.

Eureka, this thread is the 1 of the most positive threads I have read in a long time.

Like TARMAC-GSTR said "Let us all start with the man in the mirror". 

Although I have wrestled wit a bus before, I have always had my safety & that of others on my mind, but there is always room for improvement. I will again start with me

Last week I post here that there is a lot of cyclist training on those Welgemoed Golfbaan hills without front or back lights.

This morning, while training, I saw a handfull, without any lights (that was 5H00).

As we went uphill, the one guy without lights was alongside and I asked him to put lights on, it will make him more visible, and his answer

"I dont need lights, I train were there is street lights"

I just shook my head and let him go. This was not 'n youngster, this guy is close to 40, this means he most probably got a family at home, kids still in bed, and he is playing with death.popeye2009-02-18 01:07:45

Everybody obey all traffic rules. Treat Stop signs and Robots as stationary sprint practice' date=' try beat all the cars accross the line, and practise your track stand ( Nothing like wasted time to learn a new skill)

Ride single file, if you must talk, shout, if you cant shout, get walkie talkies. They come in handy at races too!

If a car hoots, 99% of the time they are trying to warn you that they are approaching. Cars dont have a nice hooter and a K@K hooter... The difference is your perception. If you always take the "nice hooter option, give a wave to say, sorry or thank you whichever you need to. Even if you think "What a ****"...just wave... it will be better in the long run.

Choose your Routes and riding times well, and let your loved ones know where you're going. If you cant fit in a ride without taking a risk, get a stationary trainer. You never know, you may save your own life by not pushing the envelope.

ICE everything you have on you. Even dialing your wife first before you leave. That way the last dialed number on your phone is the one you want to be in the know. Tell her you love her while you're at it.

If you want things to change you have to start by making a change. Lets start with all of us on the hub. Educate your friends on bikes, Bike shops please do the same as well as club captains etc...

[/quote']

This need to be sent to Bicycling and deserve to be published, maby you can win a set of shoes or something.

Best cycling hint of the year.

Popeye's post reminds me of someone driving at dawn with his lights off. When challenged on it, his reply was "It's cool, I can see where I'm going"

Makes you wonder...

At least cyclists with this kind of attitude only tend to remove themselves from the gene pool, unlike motorists who generally take others with them. The unfortunate part, of course, is that whoever is unlucky enough not to see them will have to deal with the fact that they flattened a cyclist, which is pretty unfair.droo2009-02-18 01:26:12

Maybe the attitude of the guys on that Car Forum is a bit more understandable now.

It's totally understandable....move outside your typical cycling circle and you'll realize just how much motorists dislike cyclists

You really can't blame them

[/quote']

Been trying to say much the same, but you have hit it perfectly. ClapClapClapClapClapI hope you don not mind if I get a copy of this into our club newsletter?

Brilliant. WELL SAID! If only all of us (outside the Hub) could adopt this stance.

Will do wonders for the sport, not to mention our level of respect on the roads.

Send it to Bicycling, Tarmac... winning letter material.

[/quote']

And this, my Friends (and others I have yet to befriend), should be THEHUBSA's mission statement. It encompasses all that we should strive toward and will surely save lives!

Tarmac you my HERO!!!

TiBones2009-02-18 01:43:55

Last week I read a Think Bike brochure in my local coffee shop. What a brilliant piece of work!

Tarmac, Bravo! Your post should be the beginning of Think Bicycle.

Perhaps the Think Bike guys on the site can help develope the concept.

My ex gf said I looked like a d**s using my rear light in daylight and stopping at traffic lights when I was new to the sport. Rather d**s than dead.

I still stop at traffic lights and will always do so.

Why is it so uncool to take safety seriously?