Bike retailer cartel

Jules

YAWN. 'Possible'. 'Alleged'. Did they all put up their prices on 1 October 2008? This investigation will take ages to be completed. Look how long it's taken to get it started! And even then will probably just fizzle out into a soft warning by which time bike and parts prices will have been increased again and again because of the weak Rand and global economic crisis.

Ask Tiger Brands, Adcock Ingram and Arcelor-Mittal if they got "soft warnings".

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

YAWN. 'Possible'. 'Alleged'. Did they all put up their prices on 1 October 2008?

This investigation will take ages to be completed. Look how long it's taken to get it started! And even then will probably just fizzle out into a soft warning by which time bike and parts prices will have been increased again and again because of the weak Rand and global economic crisis.

would you be more objective if you were using an alias Sean?Wink

YAWN. 'Possible'. 'Alleged'. Did they all put up their prices on 1 October 2008? This investigation will take ages to be completed. Look how long it's taken to get it started! And even then will probably just fizzle out into a soft warning by which time bike and parts prices will have been increased again and again because of the weak Rand and global economic crisis.

Can't agree with the weak rand argument, sorry... It would be believable if the suppliers didn't always decide to buy all their new stock for the rest of the year EXACTLY at the worst possible time for the exchange rate.

Also, it would be good if, when the rand strengthened again, the prices were to drop accordingly...

Those minutes were apparently not official, so I hope they have got more to go on than that. Besides, like SB, its not going to go very far and will take forever anyway.

Those minutes were apparently not official' date=' so I hope they have got more to go on than that. Besides, like SB, its not going to go very far and will take forever anyway.

[/quote']

right... posted on the website of FP, by FP !!!!!Ouch

YAWN. 'Possible'. 'Alleged'. Did they all put up their prices on 1 October 2008?

Sean, I was amazed at the complexity of the issue.  It is not that simple that all have to put up their price on a said date.

Earlier this week a subsidary of Murray and Roberts (Rolco) & another party was found guilty of anti-competitive behaviour and it was tracked back to many years.

The competition board uses very sophisticated means of getting the right info.

This will become very interesting indeed.

Ja, the weaker currency takes its effect immediately on the rand prices on chain reaction cycles. The differences in prices between CRC and the local bike shop are sometimes outrageous. But I'm not convinced that these prices are fixed at a retailer level. I suspect that the high prices might be the fault of the importers. I for one would not like to own a bike shop. I think it's a tough business to be in.

Ask Tiger Brands' date=' Adcock Ingram and Arcelor-Mittal if they got "soft warnings". [/quote']

up to 10 percent of turnover, isn't it?

i recon this thread will be "iced" before it hits 15....

I have a bottle of vodka. Please save some ice for me.

This just shows how powerfull the Hub has become. Whether guilty or not, the Hub has raised an awareness on this issue.

Nothing..........absolutely nothing in the world of cycling can escape the Hub.Big%20smile

I for one would not like to own a bike shop. I think it's a tough business to be in.

The pie business aswell. Everybody is health conscious these days. If you don't have an Ewep as a client, you can close your doors.

Ja' date=' the weaker currency takes its effect immediately on the rand prices on chain reaction cycles. The differences in prices between CRC and the local bike shop are sometimes outrageous. But I'm not convinced that these prices are fixed at a retailer level. I suspect that the high prices might be the fault of the importers. I for one would not like to own a bike shop. I think it's a tough business to be in. [/quote']

I wasn't pointing fingers, my point is that if the price increases when the exchange rate goes to pot, surely they should drop when it improves? It's the same argument that retailers use for putting prices up when the petrol price increases. A bag of maize goes up by 10 bucks when the petrol price goes up by 1, but when it comes down by 1, if we're lucky, the bag of maize comes down by 1. The argument is "there are more factors involved."

The question is, then, how can the fuel price (or in the bike shop's case the rand) be blamed for the increase?

I can't vouch for all the retailers.

we write point of sale software and have our software in a couple of the well known bike shops in the western cape.

I can guarantee you guys tha t the retailers are not making outrageous markups. not even close to what places like computer shops are making..

now stop bitching

Ja' date=' the weaker currency takes its effect immediately on the rand prices on chain reaction cycles. The differences in prices between CRC and the local bike shop are sometimes outrageous. But I'm not convinced that these prices are fixed at a retailer level. I suspect that the high prices might be the fault of the importers. I for one would not like to own a bike shop. I think it's a tough business to be in. [/quote']

Exactly why campy is so expensive in SA ,  J&J load the prices to pay for their expensive lifestylesAngryAngryAngryAngry